Diy Light Baffle

Lucid

Has anybody calculated how much these light baffles stop airflow?

I know that each right hand bend in ducting reduces the volume of air by 50%. So does a light baffle with 4 right angle changes in direction reduce the volume of air extracted by nearly 94%?

• 8 months later...
is this the only way to do this does it reduce airflow?

The larger you made it, the less it would reduce airflow. However if your worried about airflow you may need to have more powerful extraction or use an active intake (eg. a pc inside the light baffle)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I ve just been told i need one of these, Great easy to follow, easy to make, does it matter about depth of the baffle?? as space is tight...

• 9 months later...

Wouldn't it be better to just rig up an S-shape piece of ducting as your intake? That would prevent any light from entering your grow room, would it not? Excuse my ignorance as I'm entirely uneducated in this sort of thing. Thanks for the info.

If you use an intake fan then all you need is a duct hole but a passive intake needs to be at least 4-5 times the volume of the outtake, so you need a bigger area to allow for resistance.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

With my homebox, in order to allow passive air intake but no light, I find it easier to just place the tent in a corner, thus allowing me to open 2 out of 3 intake holes WITHOUT ANY light buffle.

• 4 months later...

i just quite literally 'fashioned' one of these things out of some tape and a large crunchy nut cereal box........blue peter style baby!

cut a little intake hole in my window blackout plastic (multi-layered bin-bags :) ) and fitted it on.....cold and windy a few days ago, walked into the room with my tent in, and it was fooking freezing!!!!! worked TOO well hehehehehe

genius idea. 5 years after originally posting, still teaching noobs! thanks for the advice lucid :(

The length 'Y' is arbitrary....

...Ok I've only got enough wood to make 'Y' about 2.5 times the 'X', will this suffice or do you think it will allow light to get through?

cheers

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My maths seems to have gone down the pan since I left school all those years ago.

If I have a 4" 100CFM fan my baffle dimensions should be ...

7.93" y

2.27" x

1.13" z

Is that right?

If I'm going to have 2 passive intakes at the bottom of my cupboard should I half those dimensions ?

didnt get chance to see the calc but from the information given id say the values have been multipyed as prescribed:) but

theres a missing value there, for the length of the intake which would determine the value of z It all depends on how long your intake hole is eg

my fan is 100mm (so PixRx2 is about 31 cm2 )

My intake will be roughly 31cmx5, 159cm2,(ish),

and because of the size of my cab i can use 27cm long intake, so x=5.9 ish. 27cm X 5.9cm =159cm(ish)so should do

Therefore x= (for me would) 11.8cm and Y= 33ishCm

it all depends wether you have space for a long slim intake or a wide tall intake.

hope this helps folks .

PM if you get stuck ;)

• 2 months later...

my fan is 100mm (so PixRx2 is about 31 cm2 )

You're worse at maths than me bud. lol

Pi*(R*R) is what you should have done.

3.14(5*5) = 78.5cm2

78.5*5 = 392cm2(ish)

27*14.5cm

I know I'm a bit late but... meh.

• 1 month later...