Discussions on Islam

Guest Livity

Maybe so they don't have to put up with opinions like this?

If I moved here I'd see it as a defensive measure to learn English and pretend not to know it.

Opinions like it makes communication easier if the same language is used? Yeah man, that opinion is so far out there isn't it?...

• Like 1

What is wrong with thinking it is best for everyone if a common language is spoken and understood? To me, it is perfectly logical to all share a language, much like we all share knowledge of maths. I couldnt imagine the difficulties of living is say Russia without being able to speak any Russian, it defies logical sense. I have no idea how UKIP brought into this other than people looking for things that aren't there...

Because it denies your cultural right to speak your own language (within your community).

I mentioned UKIP because they are the party claiming that all immigrants should speak English before they arrive here.

Multiculturalism isn't about demanding that everyone speak a single language, it's about respecting that everyone speaks a different language.

• Like 4

Ever considered learning Urdu? Wouldn't go demanding something I wouldn't do myself, its a bit high and mighty ain't it?

What's wrong with wanting people to speak or learn the native language of the country they reside in?

I wonder if the natives in southern med countries have similar discussions about the many Brits living in their countries that make no effort to "talk the lingo", serious question btw

• Like 1

Ever considered learning Urdu? Wouldn't go demanding something I wouldn't do myself, its a bit high and mighty ain't it?

Me?

I've been learning Hindi for the past 8 years if that counts lol

• Like 1

I wonder if the natives in southern med countries have similar discussions about the many Brits living in their countries that make no effort to "talk the lingo", serious question btw

Nope, the locals bothered to learn English and often speak to the visitors in their native tongue.

Again, we should take this as an opportunity to expand our culture and not bottleneck someone elses

Me?

I've been learning Hindi for the past 8 years if that counts lol

Everyone in general.

Kudos on the Hindi!! Must be a very lyrical language!

• Like 1

Because it denies your cultural right to speak your own language (within your community).

I mentioned UKIP because they are the party claiming that all immigrants should speak English before they arrive here.

Well I didn't say immigrants should speak English before they came here though, so why mention UKIP?

And multiculturalism is the coexistence of many cultures, races etc etc, and part of coexistence is communication, as is living in a community. Learning and speaking English is not denying anyone of anything, in fact it is the opposite. Knowing the language of the country you live in will only open doors that are previously shut.

• Like 1

Yeah it is a serious question and like I've stated a couple of times already, I think people who live in a foreign country should try and learn the language. The same applies for Brits abroad.

Eta, my mother moved to Turkey when she was 60 and although most Turkish people have a decent grasp of the English Language, she learnt Turkish and tries her best to speak it.

Edited by BigJohnny
  • Like 2

Are those doors shut to native deaf mutes?

We use sign language that is translated into English in England. If you were in Gemany for example, the sign language would be translated into German.

Why would I learn Urdu? Maybe I would if I lived in a country where it was the first language.

A lot of people abroad learn English because it benefits them because of tourism, they don't learn it for some altruistic reason.

• Like 1

Well I didn't say immigrants should speak English before they came here though, so why mention UKIP?

And multiculturalism is the coexistence of many cultures, races etc etc, and part of coexistence is communication, as is living in a community. Learning and speaking English is not denying anyone of anything, in fact it is the opposite. Knowing the language of the country you live in will only open doors that are previously shut.

Which part of their culture are you saying you'd allow them to keep then? Food? Clothes? Religion? Is it just the language you'd have them change?

Which part of their culture are you saying you'd allow them to keep then? Food? Clothes? Religion? Is it just the language you'd have them change?

Why would I care what food, clothes or religion someone chooses? What a strange question? And what's with the 'allow' comment? I haven't denied or suggested denying anyone anything. I also didn't say people should change their language, but suggested it's logical for everybody to speak the same language.

Anyway, this has gone off topic already and I find it hard to converse with someone who keeps making things up so shall we just drop this line of conversation?

• Like 2