Do you know which god you worship?

Hughie Green

With some of the posts in the Mufti thread touching on Abrahamic religion I thought it would be interesting

to point out that previous to Abraham the Canaanite peoples worshipped many gods, their chief god was

called El, known as the father of the gods he had a wife Asherah, a son Baal, and a daughter Anat, there were many other deities worshipped but the chief god was El and evidence for that is contained in many pre Abrahamic personal and place names, first among them being Israel itself, the names of biblical characters,

such as Ezekiel, the names of the angels, Raphael, Gabriel, Michael and Uriel, the el part meaning "of god",

many other names and words contain El

Previous to Abraham god appears as El shadai, (god of the mountain) then for some reason reveals himself

to Abraham as Yahweh the deity formerly known as El,

El, Asherah, Baal etcetera are all Babylonian gods, what Abraham did was to separate and distance the people

from Babylonian pantheism because Babylon had destroyed Solomons temple round about 800bce,

we can see from the stories around Moses that even then they had difficulty stopping the people worshipping

a Golden calf (El was sometimes depicted as having the horns of a Bull symbolising his fertility as father of the gods) or Baal, Asherah wife of El was the female pro-genitive force, her symbol was the tree of life, a mother Goddess, after Abraham and the instillation of the Yahwist cult all pro-genitive power passes to an entirely

male god Yaweh,

what Abraham did was consolidate religious power and influence into a patriarchal model and remove the natural balance of male female deities being equal and complimentary, it is my belief that the shift to male dominated religion and power is one of the roots of all evil that has occurred in the name of religion

ever since, Christian, Jewish and Muslim religions all regard women as second class, the Adam and Eve creation myth directly blames women for the original sin though a deeper look into that myth reveals the

Adam and Eve story is a later "cleaning up" of the story to hide the true reasons for Adams partner rebelling

against god, in the apocryphal version it is Lilith that is Adams partner and it was not the fruit of the tree of

knowledge of good and evil that was the bone of contention, it is the fact that god made man from the same stuff as angels*, born of "fire" or pure creation and then made Lilith of Adams rib placing her in subserviance

to Adam, it was then that she rebelled against god.

* which is also given as the reason why some angels rebelled against god giving rise to the Lucifer/Satan myth that is used in the sanitised version of the creation myth to tempt Eve

anyhoo I know little of the formation of the Muslim faith but since it too is based on previous prophets like

Abraham, Jesus, etcetera then it shares the same roots, linguistically the Canaanite El is equivalent to the Arabic Al and similar place and personal names reflect the Al as in Allah,

so the Yahwist cult is the basis for three major religions, all three of them worship El under different names

so all the worlds major religions worship a Babylonian/Canaanite deity but very few of them actually know it,

With a little knowledge it can be proven that they all worship the same god and the majority are completely

unaware of it, that is the problem you encounter when your Holy books are all written by men with their own

agendas, you can claim divine inspiration all you like but it is men that write these books and men can pick and choose what is included and what is not, like the new testament being compiled by a team of bishops on the orders of Constantine to consolidate power over disparate Christian groups and bring them together under the control of the Roman Empire is almost identical in intention to the formation of the Yahwist cult by Abraham,

As for the Jesus story that too is a borrowed myth lifted directly and almost word for word from the cult of Mithras.

• Like 8

Guest bazzad9

have you listened to any of richard carriers talks or read his books mate

really knows his stuff

from what i remember the "el shadai" and yahweh where to completely different gods rolled into one

it was only recently i read it again ill dig the book out and post what it says (might take a while to remeber the book )

Guest bazzad9

the different sources do explain the genesis mish mash ,essentially two stories put into one

e2a

the book is called "a history of god " by karen armstrong

pretty well regarded book

ill have to go and find the exact pages but i think the link above sort of says the same thing

Edited by bazzad9

Just realised that mushroom god could come across as a little fecetious considering recent discussions. I do actually feel connected to fungi in a way that until I felt it, was alien to me. Its hard to explain, but they are life, they can be death, nourishment, rejuvenating, symbiotic, parasytic, saprophytic, hallucinogenic, stunningly beautiful and sometimes extremely grotesque. My discovery and involvement with them feels spiritual to someone who doesn't think there spiritual in any way.

Bit random I know, but if I am spiritual, its because of the connection I feel to the life and environment that surrounds me, but for some reason, fungi in particular. Wild weather and trees are up there, but all fungi interact with us so directly its tangible. Its the closest thing I have to a god.

Edited by Cambium
  • Like 16

Just realised that mushroom god could come across as a little fecetious considering recent discussions.

Given that some hallucinogenic fungi are coprophilic it could be faecestious.

I'll get me coat :bag:

• Like 10

I believe most if not all religions began with altered states of consciousness, fasting, sitting in darkness, trance dancing can all produce

altered states and have been used by native peoples, as have many plants and fungi, interesting area but probably needs another thread lol

have you listened to any of richard carriers talks or read his books mate

really knows his stuff

from what i remember the "el shadai" and yahweh where to completely different gods rolled into one

it was only recently i read it again ill dig the book out and post what it says (might take a while to remeber the book )

Not as yet mate, I have loads of different sources all saying the same thing, recent archeology is also backing it up.

Cheers Baz will have a look

@@Cambium

John Allegros book "The sacred mushroom and the cross" is very interesting, as is the fact he is the only one of the people brought in to translate the Dead Sea Scrolls that has published any conclusions from the work he did, all the others being priests under orders not to.

• Like 3

Guest bazzad9

Just realised that mushroom god could come across as a little fecetious considering recent discussions. I do actually feel connected to fungi in a way that until I felt it, was alien to me. Its hard to explain, but they are life, they can be death, nourishment, rejuvenating, symbiotic, parasytic, saprophytic, hallucinogenic, stunningly beautiful and sometimes extremely grotesque. My discovery and involvement with them feels spiritual to someone who doesn't think there spiritual in any way.

Bit random I know, but if I am spiritual, its because of the connection I feel to the life and environment that surrounds me, but for some reason, fungi in particular. Wild weather and trees are up there, but all fungi interact with us so directly its tangible. Its the closest thing I have to a god.

i hope this doesnt sound bad either

but what you describe sounds like me with dogs ....i can connect with a dog like no other animal including humans

i dont like to use the word spiritual but in the general sense it gets used if i where to have anything spiritual it would be dogs ....just watching two dogs play makes the world amazing for me

Guest bazzad9

since you mention jesus i hope you dont mind a few videos

start with acts my favourite book of the bible i think probably ,and this gives some insight

he could be wrong of course so im not stating it as fact but we can discuss what he says

this ones about the gospels

http://youtu.be/MclBbZUFSag

Guest bazzad9

a snippet from the book

in my words for speed

"the 3rd wave of hebrew settlement occured in about 1200bce when tribes who claimed to be descendants of abraham arrived in canaan from eygpt,they said they had been enslaved by the egyptains but had been liberated by a diety called yahweh who was the god of there leader moses ,after they had forced there way into canaan they allied themselves with the hebrews there and became known as the poeple of israel "

its also pointed out in the book how el when dealing with abraham is quite friendly to him ,but yahweh comes with volcanoes etc

Edited by bazzad9

Guest bazzad9

Yes i do, There is no god but Allah and Muhammed (pbuh) is his messenger.

i keep hearing recently the phrase " there is no god but God "

ive added the capitol to where i think it should ....ie ......there are lots of claimed gods but the only god is God (allah) is that correct

it sounds odd to hear it said ,but if its written how i suspect it makes sense that way ....just sounds odd when you first hear it