Alien RDWC Setup and Testing

SKELE-TORO

@@SKELE-TORO

Is this not the idea behind your system, the roots are meant to be under the water as there is bubblers

in there to keep them well oxygenated ? you will be getting serious root growth in those buckets, i am looking

forward to it..

:yinyang:

Well in theory yes.. but I'm hearing conflicting stories about having some airspace in the pots.. I'm also very paranoid having all the roots in the water all the time with out a chiller.

Thing is if it was connected to my external res. it would be topping up to the same high level automatically anyway.

Yeah man, the water level should be around an inch below the netpots, and the roots immersed in the jaccuzi.

I have refilled pots back to original levels this morning.. currently half the root system is now immersed... The plants have full access to the drink.

• Like 1

Yo.

That's another week, I felt confident last week with the look of the girls to leave them at it, but things have taken a turn after topping up the water last time.

The roots have been mostly underwater for 2 days... it hasn't done the girls any good by the look of it :/
It could be strain dependent but I was expecting more size by now.

med_gallery_53527_9820_290482.jpgmed_gallery_53527_9820_134442.jpg

med_gallery_53527_9820_238464.jpgmed_gallery_53527_9820_165968.jpg

On opening the tent this morning I see some serious yellowing on the lower half's and some slight clawing up top.
Looks like hunger, overfeed and over watering at the same time.

Very hard to diagnose whats happening.

med_gallery_53527_9820_434189.jpgmed_gallery_53527_9820_455656.jpg

PANIC - Straight to check P.h 5.9 & E.C 0.9 ??

Hmmmmm?

I'm assuming after just having the tips of the roots in the drink, to then almost submersing them, it's been too much for them in one go?

The tips and new shoots look good? Got a bit of praying going on.

Maybe they're not on enough food? I have a background of 0.4 currently reading 0.9

Quite unnerving so early on.. I've reduced water a touch to give them some breathing space and dosed up with H202, Re-checked E.C to 0.9 and Ph. 5.9

I really gotta keep a close eye on them the next few days now.

med_gallery_53527_9820_448157.jpgmed_gallery_53527_9820_407897.jpg

I was just in the shop getting H202 and was very close to buying a bottle of Voodoo Juice and Tarantula they had there.

Edited by SKELE-TORO
  • Like 1

How do you make up your nutrient?

When I did DWC, I used Reverse Osmosis water... its the only way you know for sure what exactly your plants are getting

I then bufferred the RO water (EC 0) with Cal Mag to EC 0.2. You need Cal Mag

Then I added A and B and any additionals. I used House and Garden, and their feed charts were pretty much spot on, but I used half doses to start off. Checked pH at the end, using Silicon as pH up. Usually I would pH down first if needed to about pH 5.5-5.6 then use the silicon to bring it up to pH 5.8.

I was using LEDs but still kept the lights up at around 30inches to prevent cooking the young 'uns.

Good luck, hope it picks up..... patience is the key Bro!

Teehee

• Like 1

Up your feed to 1.2ec pronto.

Am I right in thinking the roots have hit the nutrient solution and kinda stopped? Not growing strongly into the buckets?

• Like 1

Sorry mate, make that 1.4ec as ive just spotted you got 0.4 background (half of which is available salts).

They are starving for sure.

• Like 1

How do you make up your nutrient?

When I did DWC, I used Reverse Osmosis water... its the only way you know for sure what exactly your plants are getting

I then bufferred the RO water (EC 0) with Cal Mag to EC 0.2. You need Cal Mag

Then I added A and B and any additionals. I used House and Garden, and their feed charts were pretty much spot on, but I used half doses to start off. Checked pH at the end, using Silicon as pH up. Usually I would pH down first if needed to about pH 5.5-5.6 then use the silicon to bring it up to pH 5.8.

I was using LEDs but still kept the lights up at around 30inches to prevent cooking the young 'uns.

Good luck, hope it picks up..... patience is the key Bro!

Teehee

Yo Tee Hee!

Water goes in first - H202 - A+B poured separately into Header Pot - and then P.H the lot.

I understand OS water would be ideal.. but it not an option right now.

I'm nervous about the PYTH mate.. doing everything I can to avoid... a fuckin fortune on H202!

...and yes I'm very impatient.

Up your feed to 1.2ec pronto.

Am I right in thinking the roots have hit the nutrient solution and kinda stopped? Not growing strongly into the buckets?

You reckon so mate ? I'm kinda on that one too...

The clawing does not look directly like Overfert as its not the tips.. it's the whole leaf.. and the pale yellow lowers are telling me N def.

So you reckon up to 1.4. (GOTCHA EDIT)

Yes that's exactly what happened all the roots have been growing same time and length... they seem happy on the surface and don't wanna dive in yet?

I did think you were supposed to run these things at half strength?

Edited by SKELE-TORO

Hows your environment? they seem to be getting to much of "something" not quite sure what though!

Is that a 600 u have over each one?

Hi superx, what's happening!?

Environment seems correct to me... the temps seem good sat at 24C-27C dropping a touch at night.. they are fed fresh air from directly outside, and all seems stable?

It's just funny that they only drooped when hitting the drink.. they were good before that... thought it would be opposite. I do reckon I'm gonna adjust the scran levels up a bit and see what happens.

Gonna double check the roots too as it could possibly be the early signs of PYTH after looking at the symptoms. Shouldn't be though as I've been dosing lots.

yeah each ones got a 600 but only running at 400w atm

I would not think u should need to check the roots, but will do no harm..

I sent ubercemel a pm so hopefully if he gets a chance he will pop over to have a look..

• Like 1

Right I've upped the feed to 1.3 and I'll give them a couple of days to react

I'm nervous to give them too much so quick.. Nutes threw my P.h way off, so I had to wait to correct to 5.9 again. (luckly I instinctively bought pH+ the other day.. never got it before)
It's all looking good.. there's no reason they shouldn't get going in there..?
There is new root growth from below which is promising... wait and see I guess.

Start a new thread mucker in the sick plant section, you will get a lot more peeps looking in!

And hopefully get the help you need, you will have a better chance doing it that way,,,

• Like 1

another week...

E.C 1.3

P.H 5.5

med_gallery_53527_9820_332642.jpgmed_gallery_53527_9820_168756.jpg

med_gallery_53527_9820_69810.jpgmed_gallery_53527_9820_429294.jpg

(Sorry for the pics, cameras broke so had to use my calculator)

Well after last weeks E.C school boy fuck up the girls have pulled up dramatically!!

We got green growth back and all's looking good for now. Rescued.

Glad we caught it before anymore damage.. being so small they will bounce back no worries... already shot up.

Big up stu sleeper 20vt for that!

Major discoveries and big changes this week though! :wink_kiss: I love it when things become clear for a second.

There's always bound to be some very fast learning curves when experimenting with new equipment, and I think Ive finally got my head around it.

I have been reading a lot about my specific nutrient brand, and temps. I'lll explain more in a sec.

But firstly.. I have been extremely worried about the rate of growth on my girls, something was not right!
I've come to the conclusion that I have been chilling the water WAY to much with the ice... I've been putting 2L bottles of ice on the regular.. I think this has chilled the water to an almost unbearable level for the plants... hence the reluctancy to dive in.

I'm gonna test out how they react to no ice for a little bit. Here's the reasoning..

The only reason I'm using ice is to keep the Pythium at bay... But the H202 should do this alone at the rate I'm using it.

Pythium types develop fastest at temperatures above 25°C. By making sure that temperature of the room and of the nutrient solution is kept low, around 20°C, you can suppress the growth of Pythium. Make sure that the temperature does not drop below 15°C, because this will make the absorption capacity of the roots decrease too much.

My temperature fluctuation must be massive putting that much ice in.. and I reckon it's too much for the girls.

I mean ice is fine but don't over do it!

Bottom line is I need a chiller... but I'm just gonna have to rely on using H202 for now to make the system sterile. Ice aswell if temp gets too much.

another reason I'm gonna skip the ice for now is...

Good root development requires the temperature of the nutrient solution to be high (20-25°C). Below 15°C, the absorption capacity of the roots diminishes rapidly, the nutrient transport in the plant stagnates, reducing the yields.

The growth of the plant slows and the root system will be less fine (fewer branches and fewer root hairs).

The first visual sign that the temperature is too low is purple coloration of the leaf stems, main veins and stem. If the low temperatures persist for too long, leaves may also be malformed. The absorption of nitrate, phosphate, magnesium, potassium, iron and manganese is hindered most at low temperatures.

I need some more root growth below so I'm gonna raise the temps a touch, or at least have them more stable.

I also did notice I had some purpling on the stems.. and the slow growth is obviously apparent from the cold water.

The second thing is my P.h levels...

I have been trying to let my P.h fluctuate from 5.5 - 6.0

After a bit of research on my brand it is recommending this:

Keeping a regular check on the nutrient solution’s pH and EC levels and observing the plants is necessary to be able to take the correct action at the correct time. (If necessary), pH fluctuations between 5.2 and 6.2 are perfect

5.2 you say :oldtoker:

Seems low, but I'll give it a go.

The site assures me that once the P.h is set it should only ever fluctuate itself from 5.2-6.2

I'm gonna have a test. I could do without the constant pissing about and constantly adding more shite in the res.

I'm also gonna aim to change out my system every 2 weeks now if possible.

To be honest I'm almost tempted to start again with this new knowledge I have.. I mean they haven't had the fastest start...but I'm gonna carry on with this test and do an "Official Grow" next time when I got it nailed. I still need to test these cuts too.

Till next time.. fingers crossed for a huge change.

:xmas:

Edited by SKELE-TORO
  • Like 1

i've had deficiencies exactly like yours before in my aeroponics system, i'm not 100% but think its magnesium and or calcium deficiency it was all sorted after doing a complete res change and adding in some calmag

Edited by Spaniard