Alien RDWC Setup and Testing

SKELE-TORO

Hi Guys.. How's it going all?
I've finally got a chance to get back on here after a long break.

I'm setting up a new space bit by bit and gonna document it all here, before I launch into a proper diary with cuts from selected mothers.

I'll be experimenting with a Custom RDWC system from Alien Hydroponics. I've never used bubblers or recirculating systems before, so it will be a fast learning curve! and it'l be great to have some knowledge thrown at me from you pros whilst I'm picking it up.

I'm mothering up some pretty tasty strains on the back burner, in the aim to have them ready for a proper go from cuts after I have it all dialled in nice.

I got the system a while back, but I only got the tent the other week.. So with work.. I finally got to set it up today!
I went for a Homebox Evolution Pro, as it appeared to have a central lower port and also here in Spain the temps in summer are a real pain to control.. the new generation of the Homebox claim to keep the temps -2 degrees cooler than a standard silver reflective tent due to their new lining. It's white, smooth and wipe clean. It was nice to see a different tent for once.. I'll explain more after I get in unboxed...
Errr.. :lookaround: Excuse the phone pics.. only dawned on me when I uploaded them...

gallery_53527_9820_51072.jpg

sml_gallery_53527_9820_31759.jpgsml_gallery_53527_9820_4032.jpgsml_gallery_53527_9820_89150.jpg
I always love this part... like a kid a Christmas! :santa:

sml_gallery_53527_9820_62167.jpgsml_gallery_53527_9820_31733.jpgsml_gallery_53527_9820_22684.jpg

Super Heavy Duty poles and nice solid corner pieces!

I was swinging off the light hangers.. gotta be the most solid frame I've ever had in a tent! The box was heavy and this is why.

sml_gallery_53527_9820_37013.jpgsml_gallery_53527_9820_62783.jpgsml_gallery_53527_9820_94763.jpg

Now came the confusing part.

I could see on the instructions that this cummerbund thingy was supposed to go on the front !?

But what was it for !?

sml_gallery_53527_9820_31136.jpgsml_gallery_53527_9820_26295.jpg

Well... the tent has no bottom, well not one that connected to the rest of tent anyway. It slots in separately and cable ties in... I was pretty taken aback at first but then it slowly dawned on me they might be on to something. It certainly made putting the outer skin on easier!

sml_gallery_53527_9820_41423.jpgsml_gallery_53527_9820_51639.jpg

Next little surprise was these ports.. whoever thought of these needs a pay rise :punk: Quality little design.. much easier than pissing around with tying knots round socks! One disk for the outside and one inside for no light leaks. They pop into their little flanges with a bit of pressure and lock into place. I really liked those.. It's the little things :smoke:

• Like 7

Next to fit was the System...

I saw this system whilst browsing on t'internet and instantly fell in love with it.. Looks fluckin' slick, simple and the recirculating feature really looks the bizz :yep:

Proper easy to set up - just push and click.. gonna be easy to clean too.

There was a choice between 34L pots or 55L... I went with 3 x 55L in the aim of less plants.

sml_gallery_53527_9820_19202.jpgsml_gallery_53527_9820_75890.jpgsml_gallery_53527_9820_75146.jpgsml_gallery_53527_9820_52771.jpg

Starting off with the 55L 'Header Tank' I connected the 4" piping through to all the other 55L pots and attached the 4" return pipe to the last pot.

I then T'd off air line to that huge blue airstone in the bottom of the Header tank.. we should get some serious jacuzzi shizzle in there!

Set the pots up in my desired central lineal position and fitted all the airlines that lead to the individual pots. Each pot has an individual airstone.. Lastly, I attached the airline to the return pipe with cable ties for tidiness

sml_gallery_53527_9820_19754.jpgsml_gallery_53527_9820_98211.jpg

This Air Pump came with the system.. it is a bit of a beast! I hope it's not so beastly on the ears though. I think it will be fine.
The last picture is of the return pipe I actually haven't worked out which way it jets

gallery_53527_9820_35635.jpg

gallery_53527_9820_50494.jpg

My setup is actually a 3 pot system but this time I just wanna try 2 first. I'm a bit limited for space to have the header situated outside the tent this time round.

The quality of the system feels great and I'm looking forward to filling it up for it's maiden voyage.

Cheers for reading.

I'll be back to fit the Lights fans and Filters soon

Edited by Owderb
  • Like 13

@ SKELE-TORO Nice system bud! The HiBlow pump is a beast but not loud. The only issue I have with the Alien system is the Price!!! Can't wait to see how you get on with it. All the best. :yep:

• Like 1

Brilliant port solution!

Its great isn't it!

After a bit of research, it appears you can direct the flow of air somehow by pulling out the disk halfway front and back..

Still to try that with air running... I just love how neat and tidy it is!

very nice set up & write up @SKELE_TORO :yep:

but its a bugger to read when the text is centred ;)

sorry buddy.. struggling with the photo sizes and wanted to make it pretty :doh:

@ SKELE-TORO Nice system bud! The HiBlow pump is a beast but not loud. The only issue I have with the Alien system is the Price!!! Can't wait to see how you get on with it. All the best. :yep:

Its got a bit of weight to it and that usually means quality and quietness in turn. I won't be sleeping near it this time anyway.

Yeah... all hydro kit ever made has been overpriced plastic, but it's that reassurance I like that it shouldn't fail though builders error, and that it works... tried and tested!

It does feel fooking solid though! and nice to have it all plug and play too... was like lego fitting it together. :v:

Did you say you have this system or just know the pump?

I'm looking at getting this system next. Will be checking back regularly!

I will be doing a little test run first, then full bore next run.

Pull up a pew bru. :upside:

• Like 4

@SKELE-TORO I have heard the pump next to other brands and it is quieter than any of the others that I have heard. Really wanted the 4 pot RDWC Pro but just could not justify the cost.

Having said that If you start setting records with your yields I may change my mind. ;).

• Like 1

@SKELE-TORO I have heard the pump next to other brands and it is quieter than any of the others that I have heard. Really wanted the 4 pot RDWC Pro but just could not justify the cost.

Having said that If you start setting records with your yields I may change my mind. ;).

Yo THCC thanks for the heads up about the pump.

Yeah the 4 pot in the square setup was what caught my eye.. so slick.

I'm thinking of maybe going the LED route, I'd love to see how the new gen. compare to HPS yield wise... Summer temps here are crazy so will need to get a chiller soon i think too.

:yinyang:

You gonna be running a chiller with this system mate?

I will definatly have to get one for summer! No Doubt! Maybe I'll get away with it in winter.. with LEDS, the scrog canopy completely full, and an aircon unit directed at the header pot? :lookaround:

Looking at the Hailea HC-150a or similar.

• Like 1

Yes Yes.. How's it ?

Made some more adjustments to my space and thought it deserved a little update...

med_gallery_53527_9820_49252.jpgmed_gallery_53527_9820_306519.jpg

med_gallery_53527_9820_238422.jpgmed_gallery_53527_9820_136284.jpg

med_gallery_53527_9820_298354.jpgmed_gallery_53527_9820_183026.jpg

Thats the air lines done and dusted with a stone for each pot.. were ready for aqua!

med_gallery_53527_9820_372336.jpgmed_gallery_53527_9820_87150.jpg

med_gallery_53527_9820_381612.jpgmed_gallery_53527_9820_191166.jpg

Here's how it's looking now I've adjusted the pots to get them centralised... I've swapped the header to the left hand side... I need the res. on the left so gotta be like this.

I initially wanted the pipe work behind but this actually works better. I can keep an eye out for any problems that may arise with the connections.. and also the in-line filter is easier to reach for cleaning.

Those doorstraps though ! :yahoo:

med_gallery_53527_9820_244523.jpgmed_gallery_53527_9820_279019.jpg

Whack that Scrog net up and voila! ;)

• Like 6

Ha Ha.. Well this is a first for me in 10 years!

I just cracked 3 C99's from Female Seeds. I have wanted to try these for ages!

I was really gutted that only 2 cracked. But look what 'Canesh' has given me!

"A Double Yolker!"

med_gallery_53527_9820_70499.jpgmed_gallery_53527_9820_110203.jpg

I decided to give it a few days.. before trying to dig it up and separate them.

So when I couldn't hold on any more.. I carefully dug, and dug. When i finally got it out, it looked like they were inseparable.. but after some very gentle teasing with a fine screwdriver, I just about got them to separate.

One looks a bit stronger than the other! I hope that they both pull through.

med_gallery_53527_9820_65546.jpgmed_gallery_53527_9820_19859.jpg

• Like 8