how to slow down drying in high temps?

K-B

If your harvest is drying to fast when hanging then just start brown bagging earlier than you would normally..

if its going to have to be stored in the same temps i.e attic will this be of benefit or just add a further means of dessicating the bud even faster?

I had to overcome a similar problem in a loft years back. We had built a small room within the loft to grow in but during the hottest months the temps were too much, even though we had lights on during the night. I lived in Kent at the time so the summers were way hot compared to here (N.E Scotland). Anyway I managed to get temps down by freezing 2 to 5 litre bottles of water and putting them in the grow room a few at a time and replacing them when necessary (couple of times a day if I remember rightly). Bit of a pain in the arse but it worked. No rise in humidity either as the water is contained. Perhaps you could do something similar.

@@iamafunkimunki It will slow it down from drying to fast,, you could also pack it into cardboard tubes like the ones that bottles of good Scotch comes in..

Could you explain this a bit for me please madgiz,wouldn't they just get mouldy ?

Could you explain this a bit for me please madgiz,wouldn't they just get mouldy ?

I'm assuming you burp it similar to curing. I would also assume having thought about it it will be cooler in the bag/tube rather than free air.

I had wondered the same thing about mould/rot etc but If i check it every day it should be fine, again an assumption but it would have to be dried to some extent prior to bagging it or packing it tubes or I would imagine mould would most likely be an issue.

Its got me thinking as its a problem I have regularly. Cheers @@madgiz

:oldtoker:

Edited by iamafunkimunki

@ yeah I did say apart from an air-con cos I can't afford one. Did you just read the title? lol

it will dry as fast as it drys im afraid mate unless you use aircon

You just start the process of slowing down the drying by brown bagging or packing in tubes earlier than you would if you were drying in an ideal environment. It is no different to the usual practice..

• Like 1

If the environment is ideal then 10-15 days after hanging the outside of the bud is dry but the centre is retaining some moisture. You can put them into brow bags to draw that moisture from the centre of the bud and in turn evenly dry the bud.

So in a none ideal environment put the buds in brown bags as soon as they are to the touch but still supple in the centre.

Edited by VicFirth12
  • Like 3

I brown bag 'em earlier. leave a little more stem on than normally would when trimming at this stage and fill it right up. Pop them in before the stems are at snapping point. I move the buds around approx every 12 hours, this brings the moisture back out into the crispy areas that have occurred due to hot weather. :oldtoker:

• Like 1

Don't worry mate. In summer I ended up with dry bud in 7 days, and dried in the light, not ideal but hey ho.

Put in brown bags for 3 or 4 days if there's moisture inside. If not straight into jars.

2 weeks later you wouldn't know and trust me it stones the fuck out of you

Don't get too hung up on perfect drying conditions, I don't, I do it the best I can and that's it :)

I'm more organised now as I have a small tent with fan and filter but in summer its still dry in a week

Owd

Edited by Owderb
  • Like 8

Yeah I'm always having to flash dry due to space and environment (bout a week oftentimes), few weeks in jars I can't tell the difference. Certainly not a crop ruining issue.

• Like 4

@@Vicfirth12

@@Greengrocer

@@Owderb

Thanks for the tips people. I guess its brown paper bags and stop worrying so much then. What worried me was my last lot being flash dried in the heat, I weren't happy with it tbh. I wasn't familiarised with brown paper bagging then though. Anyway thanks again for the tips, much appreciated

Edited by kush-bush

• 2 weeks later...

Where do you get ya brown bags from how much you putting in a bag to size ratio.Im think greengrocer bags say for a few apples sort of size an ounce maybe.Normally just dry and jar.

well to slow it down we will need to bring the temps down. No other way really. Air conditioning? Ice box and slow extractor?