how to slow down drying in high temps?

K-B

It just hit me, when I come to harvesting my current grow which I estimate to be around mid/end of August its gonna be damn hot and I'm worried about flash drying (like I did to my last grow).

I'm already familiar with ideal drying conditions like temps and RH ect but I have no choice but to dry in my loft and as you all know it gets bloody hot up there this time of year. All I want to know is, is there anyway I can slow down the drying time in the high temperatures? Apart from an air-con to keep temps down cos I can't afford one.

I have tried my own initiative and searched this question online but there are a lot of conflicting answers and no one says straight if there is a way I can still dry my buds efficiently given the temps. Guess im just hoping for someone to come along and tell me it can be done. Cheers

I dry in a small tent that is connected to my veg tent via some ducting, without a fan. It only gives the slightest of air movement, but it is enough to dry them slowly. High temperatures and high air flow makes weed dry too fast.

I dry in a small tent that is connected to my veg tent via some ducting, without a fan. It only gives the slightest of air movement, but it is enough to dry them slowly. High temperatures and high air flow makes weed dry too fast.

Yeah I'm familiar with the air flow and high temps drying weed too fast, my question was, is there any way to slow down drying if you have no choice but to dry in high temps like me? I have to do it in my loft mate and I know it's gonna be at least 25-30c up there.

Ah, apologies. :D I have a feeling its going to be tricky to slow dry in a loft over summer...

• Like 1

Ah, apologies. :D I have a feeling its going to be tricky to slow dry in a loft over summer...

It will be tricky indeed mate. That's why I was just kinda hoping someone would come along with some sort method to slow down the drying a bit. Just gonna be such a shame to ruin my crop in high temps. I literally have no other choice but to dry up there.

I would imagine its the humidity that causes them to dry too fast. Perhaps increase the humidity, but that could cause more problems...

e2a If it will dry fast, perhaps look into brown paper bagging for the last bit of the drying stage?

Edited by KingBlueRizla
  • Like 1

I would imagine its the humidity that causes them to dry too fast. Perhaps increase the humidity, but that could cause more problems... e2a If it will dry fast, perhaps look into brown paper bagging for the last bit of the drying stage?

Yeah ive thought about raising humidity but as you say that brings other problems such as rot. Yeah funnily enough I was just about the brown paper bagging method. Someone was saying in high temps they only hang for 3 days and straight into bags, I'll look into more. Thanks for the replies mate.

Just gone through the same problem in my loft over the last week. Cropped Friday gone and it'll be dry to snapping by Saturday and that is untrimmed as full plants upside down. About 6 days quicker than I'd like.

I like you have 31 degrees in my attic with lights off during warm days. Humidity sits around 50 - 55%.

I put my intake on and lowered the temps to about 24 which was the outside temp plus about 2 degrees.It didn't create too much variation in humidity but its totaly dependant on outside RH or the space where you draw air from.

Without air con or some form of swamp cooler (ice block and a fan) you are going to struggle to get temperatures down low enough for a good drying process.

@@iamafunkimunki how's your produce looking right now? Is it losing much smell ect from the temps you are drying in? So would you recommend I dry the plants whole in high temps? My RH outside the tent in the loft sits at about 45-55% generally so around the same as you stated. Do you think a swamp cooler would raise humidity given the ice? I was looking into one of them actually. Cheers.

When it's warm like this I put mine in the coolest room (usually kitchen) with the windows open with no fans or intake/outtake (yes it stinks but I'd rather that than speed dried weed). Also when they are nearly ready I do the second trim and then stack the buds to effiectively make one big bud, which makes it dry more evenly and slows down the last bit quite a bit.

@@uBercaMeL sounds like a plan mate but like I already said the loft is the only option for me unfortunately. I have 2 children in the house and my mrs family are over quite often and they don't even smoke it. Just feel a bit stuck tbh mate I really don't wanna flash dry it.

If your harvest is drying to fast when hanging then just start brown bagging earlier than you would normally..

• Like 2

@@iamafunkimunki how's your produce looking right now? Is it losing much smell ect from the temps you are drying in? So would you recommend I dry the plants whole in high temps? My RH outside the tent in the loft sits at about 45-55% generally so around the same as you stated. Do you think a swamp cooler would raise humidity given the ice? I was looking into one of them actually. Cheers.

With regards to smell it stinks, but its naturally very smelly anyway.

I would always reccomend drying in full plants, Not always practical but always my preference.

I sometimes trim fresh and leave just on plant to dry whole. It always takes longer by around 3-4 days so in this instance i would suspect it would be no different.

Regards RH and swamp coolers,

RH is a funny beast as its dependant on temperature to a large degree. For example warm air could be holding the same amount of moisture as cold air but be have a lower RH as it has more useable space to store it or thats my understanding of it anyway.

I would suspect your RH would raise slightly but this would an effect of the cooling reducing space to store the water in the cooler air not moisture addition to the air if that makes sense.

Some addition may come from the ice, without guessing i couldn't say with any certainty.