Triacontanol

Laphroaig

People really get this PGR thing all wrong, so wrong in fact that peope say PGR meaning "plant growth regulator" when what they're actually bothered about are plant growth RETARDANTS. Seaweed extract, some bacteria and mycorrhizae species, are considered "Plant growth regulators". Retardants are the ones that halt vertical growth and make buds like cricket bats (taste and smell like one too)

I know this is a topic about tria, but everyones banging on about brassinolide. There are products out there on the market already that contain brassinosteroids (Vitalink Turbo, Evoponic Motherkare and Elixir Steroids) - brassinosteroids work on gene expression, so in the simplest form it just causes your plant to do more of the same thing IE grow taller, fruit harder, smell more etc.

Most brassinolide formulations come from being synthesized because its naturally extracted from pollen, most of the none synthesized stuff comes from russia (epione or epi1 or something it is called) and its a bit of a pain to get over here because it comes dissolved in alcohol and something to do with getting alcohol out of Russia. I can't remember it was a long time ago now. The only other natural source is from cold pressed seaweed - there is a product called Kelpak which is a cold pressed seaweed extract that is really good, and for any of you pound note chasers out there its the main ingredient in canna boost and sumo boost :)

I know that Elixir Steroids and Turbo (the same product) contain the russia brassinolide that they say comes from pollen or w/e where as the Kelpak is as mentioned from a seaweed extract.

You gotta use super tiny amounts, something like 10ml of brassinolide/alcohol solution (with perhaps 0.1g iirc dissolved in the alcohol) to something like 5 or 10 litres of water to then dilute further into your tanks.

• Like 5

Sorry to double post but I can't edit now lol

Brassinosteroids also work in a kind of bio-array with amino acids, the more broad a spectrum of amino acids the better brassinosteroids work. Remember its gene expression and amino acids elicit gene responses in plants, I suppose you could even consider some amino acids PGRs lollol

• Like 1

Was quite a while back one of the vitazyme/seaweed type products, its stated it contains it somewhere. i remember it wasnt cheap hence i never bought more. If you can buy it separate youre saving 80-90%

About the dosage, additives and nutes stated dosage are just guidelines you need to adapt it to suit your own grow.

In my case i know my plants transpire more and use more water than normal by about 20% so my feeding regime is 20% less for a start. The nute companies guidelines may be one application per 14days or week and you need to account for that as well if youre feeding daily.

Your  strain and shape of plant will come into play, ive small but well developed bushy plants with many arms, they carry stretch off quite well. A plant with few arms wouldve bolted 6-8inches to mine 2-3inch from that brass.

Id recommend always start small with additions once its in you cant get it out. You can just apply more frequently until youre comfortable to up the dosage for larger less frequent additions.

I keep hearing about uv lights increasing trichome levels is the arcadia 55w t5 12% uvb the one people are using?

• 2 years later...

May I please bring some facts to this discussion?

Elixir Steroids and Motherkare contain sterones, not steroids. They do turn into steroids when they reach the site of growth.

They do not come from Russia, but from Germany and are genuine plant extracts, not synthesised at all. Nor do they rely on working on gene expression, they are signalling compounds, or elicitors if you will, active at tiny rates of use. The sterones in the Evoponic products were originally used to perform the role that steroids do in your body; directing materials needed for repair to sites of damage. It was grower experimentation that originally led to the testing that produced Elixir Steroids which is successfully used in combination with nutrition.

Motherkare includes the sterones to promote healing following taking cuttings, the other components in Motherkare promote branching and plant health.

Yes they do work better when the plant is not just provided with nutrients, but additionally with other building blocks like 3-Carbon chains and L-amino acids, and some amino acids are capable of triggering receptor sites that are normally triggered by cytokinins et.al.

SO:

Along with the sterones, the formulation contains:

Algal extracts to supply oligosaccharides and alginic acid

Plant-sourced L-Amino acids and peptides for growth

Betaines to counter stress

A Glucoside (sugar) surfactant to improve interface with root hairs

Results:

Nutrient uptake is improved

Nutrient translocation is improved

Stress is reduced

Damaging reactive Oxygen species and free-radicals are mopped up.

Growth speeds up

Plant health improves.

If not being used to aid recovery from damage/stress then Elixir Steroids is only to be used in conjunction with a quality feeding regime, with adequate nutrient availability, otherwise the full benefits will not be realised.

Hope this helps?