Aircooling lamp's on the cheap

Oldpink

the acme bodgemaster

;)

post-3792-1123190981.jpg

post-3792-1123191022.jpg

post-3792-1123191065.jpg

this was made out of the side of a cooker. the tape is special metal ducting tape which provides a good seal around the glass

cost = £6 for b&Q bolts n brackets

£5 for glass

Edited by kyphi
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

ok ive almost finished myaircooled lamp. annoyingly ive had my cam stolen so i cant give pics of the construction. :wub: What ive done is modify my cheapy reflector (the one that is just a piece of steel sheet/ tin foil :notworthy: and turned it into an enclosed aircooled reflector with intake and exhaust.

what ive done is put mdf ends on the relector to make it rectangular. these ends were then sealed with shitloads of contact adhesive and bathroom sealant to make it airtight (more on that later).

ive then cut a hole in each end of the MDF for the intake and exhaust. i added ducting, and sealed to make airtight.

after this was done i painted the MDF white for reflection, and redid all the seals again.

Then i got a piece of glass cut to fit and placed it under the lamp, completly sealing of the lamp.

i have only put the piece of glass on at the mo, with the light upside down.

im running the light and the extraction to test that all works fine. im using 6mm glass so hopefully shouldnt get to hot and crack.

havin dinner now more update in an hour. B)

just regular glass, 6mm

ive finished now, ive fillered (sp?) all the cracks and edges, braced the glass with right angled brackets and hung it up.

as i said its got a intake and exhaust, so the air is sucked in through my carbon filter, goes through ducting, goes through the lamp, goes through ducting and then gets sucked out by fan. this is why i needed it to be airtight. ive had the light on for bout an hour, and ive turned it off keeping the fan on to test the glass. all looks fine.

ive now got it on the plants in the room, goin to dee what find of temp diff it makes!!!!

ill try to get some pics up soon as im really quite proud of this :wassnnme: seeing as the last thing i diy'd was a box at school! got an E for it aswell!!! B)

i tried looking for any kind of special glass on google eg holticulural glass, ultra transparent glass etc but couldnt find anything so :wassnnme:

normal 6 mm will do you fine m8 mine has been going for a year now. same stuff.

good job there sbg. may she grow you heavy buds.

as far as i know there is no dif between types of glass apart from laminated which might affect the ouput of your lamp.

as long as your bulb is far enough away from the glass n you are cooling it, it should be cool. i've got a little comp fan blowing on just the glass to keep the ambient temp of it down. it's rough science but it works :guitar:

Edited by kyphi

cheers kyphi, ive been testing my room, now with the pimped out reflector the temps are 3 oC higher than the intake temp as opposed to up to 10 oC

i think this is a well good idea to do, and cost me about £15 to do.

haha beats payin 80 squids for a supernova!

:guitar::smoke:;):smug::smug::smug::smug:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

any chance of brinign back the images?..this thread has been uber helpful, just would like closure that i've sussed it.

thanx. H

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

dont mean to dragg this post up- LSD's enviros with that 250w look very scorched, i had thought of this, but just having a enviro at the bottom of my box gets hot. and dude its brown ?! :)

• 9 months later...

Im planning on doing a similar idea with the intake and out take.

This is also good if you are using CO2 and dont want it getting sucked out too quickly.

BUT

i have one problem, outside the grow room gets hot too, which is where the out take goes,

and where the intake gets its supplies.

I cant duct outside through a window, or maybe i could...But how do you guys vent your out takes?

Im thinking my best option is to (as im renting) to buy a new bedroom door, have an extractor on

that, hopefully cool air will come from beolw the door.

Then when i have to move, ill put the old door back on.

What do you think?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ppl, quick question.

What thickness glass did everyone use and what type?

I got some 2mm glass for mine and it cracked through the heat within 20 minutes.

Admittedly, there wasn't much air moving so I might put 2 exhaust fans on, but I was just lookin to see what the people on here used.

Cheers

:)