Aircooling lamp's on the cheap

Oldpink

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Bugger me LSD,

Is that a 250watt HPS with enviros?....Are they blue or red spectrum lamps?

Is that a PC fan sucking air away?

I like that alot!!!

Bu.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

no it was a 400watt hps with 2 125 watt red envivo's.

changed things around now so i might post my new hood i made afew weeks back.

check for updates

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hope no-one minds me using this thread as its been inactive for a while :unsure:

Hiya, i thinking about modding my cheapey reflector into an aircooled one.

Its just one of those dimpled steel sheets bent into a curve.

post-9041-1122386502.jpg

What im thinking of doing is adding two peices of wood to each open end, and installing a pc fan to each end, one intake, one exhaust. the inside of the wood will be coated with mylar.

post-9041-1122386703.jpg

what is was then thinking of doing is adding a plate of glass to the bottom of the reflector, held by right angled brackets.

post-9041-1122387187.jpg

I would then add ducting going to the loft, with a third computer fan in the loft at the ed of the ducting to strengthen airflow.

This should hopefully allow a much shorter distance from light to plants, strengthen the ballast, cool the room and make the day and night temps a lot closer.

I think ive got it sussed, getting the fans from ebuyer along with a PC Power supply unit.

The only thing im not sure on is the glass. is there a special type of glass that will be totally transparent and wont shatter at high temps?

Comments, critisisms, suggestions and rantings all very welcome :headpain:

what is was then thinking of doing is adding a plate of glass to the bottom of the reflector, held by right angled brackets.

post-9041-1122387187.jpg

I would then add ducting going to the loft, with a third computer fan in the loft at the ed of the ducting to strengthen airflow.

This should hopefully allow a much shorter distance from light to plants, strengthen the ballast, cool the room and make the day and night temps a lot closer.

I think ive got it sussed, getting the fans from ebuyer along with a PC Power supply unit.

The only thing im not sure on is the glass. is there a special type of glass that will be totally transparent and wont shatter at high temps?

Comments, critisisms, suggestions and rantings all very welcome :yinyang:

397119[/snapback]

Sounds good to me.. Was thinking of a similar plan..

Cheers Pickle

Guest nigfis

This works for me...

It doesn't actually remove heat from the growroom, but it does suck air from above the lamp area and down onto the tops of the plants where all the transpiration occurs.

post-3122-1122572559.jpg

Hiya :smoke: Looks like we had similar ideas  lol

398646[/snapback]

wow, did u diy that? looks well pro.

im now thinking that if i have an extraction from the lamp, ill need a carbon filter aswell. im now going to route my extraction through the lamp, so it goes:

filter

ducting

lamp

ducting

fan

loft

im gonna save the fans for a nice little veggie box.