600w light can be recognized by police helicopters?

mimika

After reading some comments, it is apparent that people are more concerned with their heat signatures than other issues that people SHOULD ALSO worry about, not just heat build up...

You should consider things like 

• You want to be more concerned over a sudden significant jump in your power consumption.
    Power companies are required to report oddities like that.

So you really want to do things, you need to increase over a 6 month period, the amount of power that you are going to consume to account for an increase, this sounds wasteful but if you are using 18 hours of 200 Watts extra and your household uses a consistently predictable amount of power and you suddenly lump 3.6 Kw additional a day or additional a week, then you will pop up on someones radar.

Modern LED's put out less heat, so their heat signature will be lower but you can build up heat in a property if you are not adequately keeping the temperature down.

So being able to have a room that you can move the cooler air from and pump the warmer air to to create an ambient background temperature to help mask. Having your heating on low is another.

• In cold weather, the helicopters go up to spot all the homes with no snow or ice on their roofs, mainly growers fail to properly insulate their lofts roof space and that heat signature builds up so that it can still melt snow, however, with p[roper temperature control, this can be mitigated.

Tell tale signs are 

• Build up of moisture condensation on the windows.
  • Light leaks
  • Waste in the wheelie bin
  • Fan noise
  • Curtains never open
  • Obvious paraphernalia signs
  • Obvious equipment that is for gardening in the back yard shed, but the back garden is a total wreck.

Basically, if you have signs of gardening equipment like pots and a rancid back garden and you get busted... its no one but yourself that grassed yourself up from your own bone idle laziness.   

Its like a golden rule that I taught to my son, `Drawing attention to yourself is a bad thing to do` as people are naturally attention seekers or do not realise just how much of a broadcast beacon they really are from their actions.

Do people now understand some of the way in which they get caught? Its not nosy neighbours or people grassing up, its the muppet themselves failing to take appropriate steps to cover their asses.

I hope that helps people wake up to a few things to consider.

The only time I have ever heard of leccy company's bein the reason for a bust is when morons been bypassing the leccy meter my pc draws more wattage than my lights ffs lol

And as far as I am aware the choppers have only busted large scale grows where the whole fuckin house is lit up lol 

Yer average percy grower shouldnae have much to worry about most percy growers get busted through loose lips,bust up with friends/partner/spouse or its lack of filter so stinking the gaff out

• Like 9

What a load of absolute shite ive just read. 

Aint no police going looking for 1 600w bulb 

Get a grip of yourself lad 

And stop being so bloody paranoid 

Peace 

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, netbuddy said:

I hope that helps people wake up to a few things to consider.

Wake up?

Theres so much wrong with your post I dont know where to begin

LED's are typically 80% efficient

Where are you pulling this number from? Your saying an LED converts 80% of input energy to light? Watts are watts a 100W light is essentially a 100W heater whether its incandescent or LED, all the energy gets converted to heat as we head towards the thermal death!

Artificial light sources are usually evaluated in terms of luminous efficacy of the source, also sometimes called wall-plug efficacy. This is the ratio between the total luminous flux emitted by a device and the total amount of input power (electrical, etc.) it consumes.

Theoretical limit for a white LED with phosphorescence color mixing - overall luminous efficiency 38.1–43.9%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminous_efficacy

If it says 600W on the light, its light intensity is that of a 600W lamp

If it says 600W on the light and it doesnt draw 600W then you are being subject to a marketing pitch . Electrical equipment is all rated in Watts consumed to come along and move the goal posts juyst for LEDs is disingenuous at best

You want to be more concerned over a sudden significant jump in your power consumption

A percy grow doesnt use that much energy, there are many hobbies and appliances that could make your power consumption  jump far more and its totally legal. The power companies dont give a fuk unless you are stealing or not paying ya bill. If they investiogaed every 1000W/hour increase it would cost them a fortune. It doesnt happen for percy growers if you think it does look for some examples

In cold weather, the helicopters go up to spot all the homes with no snow or ice on their roofs

Do you have any comprehension of the number of joules of energy it would take to do this? It sounds like something out of the daily mail a percy grow simply doesnt have the energy required to do this its nonesense and to say that means you dont have a good understanding you dont need to be albert einstein, my gas boiler is 30kW it would struggle to heat my house up to 30C

its the muppet themselves failing to take appropriate steps to cover their asses

Muppets thats a good one, youre getting all high and mighty trying to throw some science in but its clear you have just read some stuff you dont have any experience thats what counts

I have been growing none stop since 2007 and on and off since around 2001 doing something right and I have never worried once about any of that stuff in your post so stop scaremongering

• Like 9

I remember one of the old places i used to live at least 5 or 6 people on the same street had grows going at the same time. The street stunk of weed and one of guys on the other street was serving up beak from his house. Constant stream of people going in and out 24/7. I'm not sure how any of those clowns didn't get busted. 

• Like 1

I half expected someone to have a pick at it and someone to scoff.

I forgot to add

• Smell

As for the 80% Efficient, your understanding of English is poor, if the thing is 80% efficient, that is based on an aggregate industry average that is quoted about LED's in general, I have LED lamp rated 6:1 in terms of 6 times the light out for 1 input of wattage, so 1 watt energy in converted to 6 watts light.

LED's are very efficient at doing that.

As for all the other things you went to pull apart, TL;DR; and yes, wake up, if you also watch enough TV on various subjects that get broadcast, you will find that on very cold days, helicopters are up and yes, loft space used for grows will not have snow on roofs if too much heat transfer takes place... Its been on a Cop TV reality program and in the one show in the UK, the helicopter mission that day was, surveying rooftops bereft of snow, dobbing them in and police pay a visit if a previously known offender or further investigations, etc.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, netbuddy said:

Its been on a Cop TV reality program

lol 

Why do you think they put that shit on

Do you honestly think they pay the thousands of pounds an hour it takes to fly a helicopter to catch a dude with 2 x 600's

Owd

• Like 12

38 minutes ago, netbuddy said:

I half expected someone to have a pick at it and someone to scoff.

Because you knew it was shaky before you posted it?

Its a public board and we debate its not personal at all, was it Feynman who said if you cant explain it to a nine year old you dont understand it

As for the 80% Efficient, your understanding of English is poor, if the thing is 80% efficient, that is based on an aggregate industry average that is quoted about LED's in general, I have LED lamp rated 6:1 in terms of 6 times the light out for 1 input of wattage, so 1 watt energy in converted to 6 watts light.

My English is pretty good as it goes I propose your science isnt, efficiency is output/input you can get a power converter with over 99% efficiency where as a wind turbine has a theoretical 59% (Betz limit)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betz's_law#

Would love to see your workings out there lol where on earth are you pulling 80% efficient from its nonesense, 6 watts of light from 1W lmao it doesnt make any sense

You see with efficiency the devil is in the details, the 80% you quoted is actually the ratio of output to theoretical maximum (38-44 % I posted above)

(its from the cree link below)

Its like how you compare your wind turbine output to the betz limit i.e 59% output from a turbine is achieving 100% that it can

If you re really interesting in learning then this is a great explanation

How efficient are LEDs?

To make things clear let's define what we are talking about.

There are two terms which are mixed up pretty often:

• Luminous efficiency:

The luminous efficiency is a dimensionless quantity which is derived from the luminous efficacy. It is simply the quotient of luminous efficacy of the source and maximum possible luminous efficacy of radiation.

• Luminous efficacy:

This is the value you see more often. It usually has the unit of lumen per watt. And gives the luminous flux per power, which is a useful quantity to see how much light we will get with a given power.

With this we have to be a bit careful as well. Because the power can be the radiant flux of the source or the electrical power. So the former can be called luminous efficacy of radiation, and the latter luminous efficacy of a source or overall luminous efficacy.

Now the problem arises, that we cannot see all colors equally well. And lumens are actually weighted based on the response of our eye:

To make things clear let's define what we are talking about.

There are two terms which are mixed up pretty often:

Luminous efficiency:

The luminous efficiency is a dimensionless quantity which is derived from the luminous efficacy. It is simply the quotient of luminous efficacy of the source and maximum possible luminous

efficacy of radiation.

Luminous efficacy:

This is the value you see more often. It usually has the unit of lumen per watt. And gives the luminous flux per power, which is a useful quantity to see how much light we will get with a given power.

With this we have to be a bit careful as well. Because the power can be the radiant flux of the source or the electrical power. So the former can be called luminous efficacy of radiation, and the latter luminous efficacy of a source or overall luminous efficacy.

Now the problem arises, that we cannot see all colors equally well. And lumens are actually weighted based on the response of our eye:

So with this, you can create some values of upper bounds (based on the redefinition of the unit candela). This would be the luminous efficacy of radiation.

Which are:

Green light at 555 nm: 683 lm/W
    Maximum for CRI=95 at 5800K: 310 lm/W (based on truncated black body radiators)
    Maximum for CRI=95 at 2800 K: 370 lm/W

For more see here.

If you lower the color rendering index (CRI), you can achieve higher values. But not higher than 683 lm/W.

So how efficient are LEDs?

Here we have values of luminous efficacy of a source.

Well there is a race of efficiency. Cree posted a press release with a laboratory LED of 303 lm/W at 5150K.

https://www.cree.com/news-media/news/article/cree-first-to-break-300-lumens-per-watt-barrier

The CRI was not mentioned, I guess it is lower than 95, but based on the data above that seems like it would have a luminous efficiency of something like 80% to 90%.

Of course your average available LED has less. 100 lm/W would be around 25% to 30% and the new 200 lm/W chips announced recently (as of August 2017) reach 50% to 60%.

Note that the above is for photopic vision (day-vision), things change with scotopic vision, but that's usually not so interesting.

If you really want to get into the guts of it, you'd have to take the spectrum of the LED and find out what the highest theoretical maximum for that spectrum is (based on the weighting curve) and then you can calculate the value.

As each and every LED has a different spectrum it is hard to get this data easily.

6W from 1W of input contravenes the second law of thermodynamics (cant get out more than you put in) its complete nonesense to start talking in these terms straight out of the marketing department

[A law] is more impressive the greater the simplicity of its premises, the more different are the kinds of things it relates, and the more extended its range of applicability. Therefore, the deep impression which classical thermodynamics made on me. It is the only physical theory of universal content, which I am convinced, that within the framework of applicability of its basic concepts will never be overthrown.

Albert Einstein

Edited by Davey Jones
  • Like 4

I haven’t had a grow going for over 20 years, since I moved into this house, and there’s never any snow on my roof because I like being warm so my heatings on all the time when it’s snowy. Cops have never visited me, hopefully it stays like that. I should improve the insulation in my loft I suppose.

• Like 4