Fan Controller

Bond

Here you go Bond ;) ......

Hope it help's........

276236[/snapback]

Just don one of them fan controll thingys 4 my veg cupboard and ime well chuffed ;) Just like to thank RAZ if hees about for his easy wiring method, put it this way if i can do it any body can :yinyang: i had to get a trusted sparky in to wire my loft g/room ie (in out fans prima controller and all the other wiring ) must admit i do sleep abit better knowing its don propper. but raziz instructions pucker. honeywell 6360 room stat from plumb cntr. fan speed controller B&Q some cable. wired it up pluged it in put my fingers in my ear got my m8 to flick the switch lol it works. :P my veg cupboard is 600 X 500 X 2M2 high ive got 100 mm duct fan suking out the top and ive got to cut out some passive holes in bottom door any ideas what size to cut out. the heater ive just orderd from screww fix51805 Redring Suntube 120W will that do 4 heat lol just noticed it hasnt got thermostat ore can i use one of them honeywell room stats???

other than that like to say high to all the peeps that have helped me on my last grow, owderb good bloke and friends have a good weekend :P;):D

• 4 months later...

I made one of these a few months ago exactly the same as Raz's :unsure::wassnnme:

However my fan comes on full speed when the temp drops :yinyang:

I have wired it up just like raz's photo, which is a great help :stoned:

Do i need to change the wires round on the thermostat? To get it to turn fan on when temp rises.

Cheers ;)

Edited by skerbalrat

Exactly the same however there is an earth wire with the fan lead aswell.

Will that have an effect?

Maybe i have a different thermostat its a honeywell T6360.

im thinking of doing this, but could someone show how the fan dimmer is wired up?

Just want to double check, as the actual fan makes a loud buzzing noise, louder than the fan itself. and seeing as this fan is in my bedroom, it cant be loud for obvious reasons.

Thanks

:wassnnme: Sirbob lol

Also, when the thermostat is wired up, will it keep the fan on constantly at a certain speed, or turn it on and off?

i was thinking, if the fan has to keep spining up every few minutes, wouldnt it use up loads more electic?

Exactly the same however there is an earth wire with the fan lead aswell.

Will that have an effect?

Maybe i have a different thermostat its a honeywell T6360.

I'de take it back if it's wired the same as diagram......

RAZ

im thinking of doing this, but could someone show how the fan dimmer is wired up?

Just want to double check, as the actual fan makes a loud buzzing noise, louder than the fan itself. and seeing as this fan is in my bedroom, it cant be loud for obvious reasons.

Thanks

;) Sirbob :blushing:

Check back through this thread, there's pics to show exactly this. To keep the fan on constantly, you'll need to fit a dimmer switch as well as the thermo... Go back to page 2 or 3.....

And fan's use very little lecy, mine a 5" is only about 50 watts, so about 1/2p an hr to run......

RAZ

• 2 weeks later...

just finished making one of these lovely little controllers, followed the pictures lol thanks a lot to Raz and all involved in this thread, asked all the right question's so i didnt have to ;) ..

cost me £35 so i saved £85 :band::guitar:

just one Q tho :soap: , on the wire i used, 3 core flex 0.5mm, max rating at 240v, 3 amps, 720 watt.

will it suffice with a 10 inch fan ?,

the fan is a 10inch squirrel cage , with a homemade box built around it, (got it second hand) i dont know the wattage of the fan, i would have to take it apart to find out, and that wont be easy, i tried :ouch: probably wont be able to put it back together :(, what are 10 inch squirrel's usually rated at ? anyone ?

Sonic

Edited by sonicgrow

• 3 weeks later...

on the wire i used, 3 core flex 0.5mm, max rating at 240v, 3 amps, 720 watt.

will it suffice with a 10 inch fan ?,

the fan is a 10inch squirrel cage , with a homemade box built around it, (got it second hand) i dont know the wattage of the fan, i would have to take it apart to find out, and that wont be easy, i tried :puke: probably wont be able to put it back together :ouch:, what are 10 inch squirrel's usually rated at ? anyone ?

Sonic

can anyone help with this please ? just want to make sure its safe :( , is the wire thick enough ?

can anyone help with this please ? just want to make sure its safe lol , is the wire thick enough ?

I can't that's why I did'nt answer ;) ..... themadhippy will be your best bet.... But my 5" is only 46 watts, so your aint gonna be that much, double?

RAZ

thanks for the help raz mate , i been looking on the net to try and see what the average wattage is for a 10 inch squirrell , so i have an idea , but no luck finding any info :yinyang:

some of these squirrell fans are high wattage i think , cos when asking before in the grow shop, there are only certain speed controllers that the grow shop will reccomend using with squirrell cage fans ?, and they were much more expensive than the normal little ones used with smaller fans.

is there a way to test wattage with a multi metre ? if so i'll check it ..

is there a way to test wattage with a multi metre ? if so i'll check it ..

I would have thought so, hang on a mo (idea). Right apparently you can test to see it's amps then....

You cannot convert watts to amps, since watts are power and amps are coulombs per second (like converting apples to miles). If you have at least least two of the following three: amps, volts and watts then the missing one can be calculated. Since watts are amps multiplied by volts, there is a simple relationship between them.

Hope it helps.....

RAZ