Fan Controller

Bond

Guest friendly electrician

any sparks might be interested in the idea of two fan speed controlers, one for high speed, and one for low. simply wire a thermostat to a change-over relay. the contacts of this relay, flick the power between one speed controler or the other.

ive done this for someone before. we didn't use a stat though, just a sample from the lighting timer. a fan suitable for summer is always to much for winter on full bore. its better not to run fans over 80% anyway if noise is a concidderation

• 1 month later...

Sorry to open this up. But I have a really dumb question. I guess the thermostat has to be in the GR right? Never come across or used one before?

Great thread BTW

Sorry to open this up. But I have a really dumb question. I guess the thermostat has to be in the GR right? Never come across or used one before?

Great thread BTW

yes it will only take the temp of it`s surroundings m8

Ok. Sorry to open this up.....Yet again!!!

Went to my B&Q superstore, but they didn't sell the fan controllers, as did nowhere else. However I went to a local electricians, and he sold me a fan controller for a Manrose fan (which my fan is) Only prob is, I'm not sure where the wires go in the fan controller.

My wiring is identical to RAZs' method. So i'm left with 2 wires, blue and brown to clip into the fan controller. My options on the controller are: Mains Live / Mains Neutral / Fan Neutral / Fan live

Which goes where?

Thanks, fantastic post BTW, exellent if this works.

This is the actual controller. I hope you can help, as soon as this is working I can get growing! :spliff: Finally.

I don't really want to try it, as I may f**k my fan, and as I read on here somewhere 'when the smoke comes out, you can't get it back in'

Made me chuckle

post-2534-1160242217.gif

• 8 months later...

just been reading this and think its business,well done nigfis & Raz and anyone else for there contribution.Will be trying it myself soon. P.S. this should be pinned;or :could be loss forever ;and what a shame that would be.

I would have thought so, hang on a mo (idea). Right apparently you can test to see it's amps then....

You cannot convert watts to amps, since watts are power and amps are coulombs per second (like converting apples to miles). If you have at least least two of the following three: amps, volts and watts then the missing one can be calculated. Since watts are amps multiplied by volts, there is a simple relationship between them.

Hope it helps.....

RAZ

I think your reply didnt explain it clearly enough.

- You know the voltage of your supply (230VAC?).

- Meaure the current the fan draws by placing your multimeter set to Amps AC in series with your fan (disconnect a neutral or live from the fan and connect one lead from the meter to the terminal you disconnected from and the other lead to the wire you disconnected).

- Multiply the measured current by the supply voltage (eg 230VAC * 0.2A = 46W) to get the approximate power in Watts. On a motor the actual power calculated will be underestimated for reasons I dont need to go into so apply a 25 percentage increase to be safe (eg 46W * 1.25 = 57.5W)

I hope this is a bit clearer.

DMC

• 3 months later...
I would have thought so, hang on a mo (idea). Right apparently you can test to see it's amps then....

You cannot convert watts to amps, since watts are power and amps are coulombs per second (like converting apples to miles). If you have at least least two of the following three: amps, volts and watts then the missing one can be calculated. Since watts are amps multiplied by volts, there is a simple relationship between them.

Hope it helps.....

RAZ

- Meaure the current the fan draws by placing your multimeter set to Amps AC in series with your fan (disconnect a neutral or live from the fan and connect one lead from the meter to the terminal you disconnected from and the other lead to the wire you disconnected).

- Multiply the measured current by the supply voltage (eg 230VAC * 0.2A = 46W) to get the approximate power in Watts. On a motor the actual power calculated will be underestimated for reasons I dont need to go into so apply a 25 percentage increase to be safe (eg 46W * 1.25 = 57.5W)

DMC

CAN you run 2 fans off of this set up in stead of 1, so the in let is running

as well as the out let !!!!!!!!!

prived you dont go above the amps the fan controller says it can handle then yes...but giving them their own speedo is better

• 3 months later...
Guest spikeychops

Hi,

What about these then?

http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/acatalo...Hygrostats.html

Cheap, self contained, designed for the purpose.

There are several defferent models to choose from, and the prices are roughly the same as what it would cost to bodge up your own from B&Q or whatever.

Any sparkies reading who could advise on suitability of these controling our fans/etc?

I'm thinking these are more or less the same as the primair controller, only about a third of the price!!!! B)

spikeychops.

Edited by spikeychops
  • Like 1

Hope it helps.....

RAZ

DMC

actually the power would be OVERestimated, as you would reading voltamps, whereas the wattage would be votlamps x pf, which is always a number of 1 or under, obviously multiplying a number by another number less than 1 will give a smaller number, so you don't need to add anything on

Edited by scraglor

• 1 year later...

does anyone have a diagram for wiring up 2 fans, extract and intake plus the 2 dimmers and thermostat. I cant even begin to picture this. What is a change over relay friendly electrician?

The idea is to have the extract and intake both on constantly at a set speed, but when the temperature changes one of them will kick in until the set temperature is back to normal. Is this possible. I hope it is

• 1 year later...

Hi Folks

I am looking into building 1 of these for my future grow.

Just a couple of questions!

1. What sort of cable do I use to wire it all together?

2. What junction box should I use?

I will be running a 100mm Ruck high power fan, honeywell thermostat and b&q fan dimmer

Cheers in advance

Knucks

Hi Folks

I am looking into building 1 of these for my future grow.

Just a couple of questions!

1. What sort of cable do I use to wire it all together?

2. What junction box should I use?

I will be running a 100mm Ruck high power fan, honeywell thermostat and b&q fan dimmer

Cheers in advance

Knucks

Ok,

So I've purchased a 600mm 5amp 4 terminal junction box.

But I'm still not sure on the cable. Could somebody enlighten me on this?

Cheers again

Knucks