Silence!

Penny Arcade

Hello folks,

So after a 10 month break and selling everything Im ready to go again,but not before an upgrade. Well I say upgrade,since my old dr120 with 6" & 4" come down I realised how noisey my grow actully was..so Im looking for some hints or threads on these td silent fans,I know they cost extra,are they worth the extra pounds tho?

As Im doubling up my tent size,the fans must be as quiet as possible as we both sleep in the room,looking for an 8" and a 6" for an active intake,will also look at reducers,do these work?

And is it true,that a bigger carbon filter (10") will be better with one of these td silent fans? Sure Ive read they stuggle to suck thro a filter thats the same size as the extraction fan?

Will invest in accoustic duct this time aswell,want it as quiet as poss. Both fans will be controlled via a primair or simular.

Opinions most welcome.

Nice to be "semi" back.

Penny.

• Like 2

Good luck on your quest to silence! Just got a hold of a TD silent as my current fan is "buzzing" me off and i finally decided to make amendments.

A friend is currently installing a switch to make my TD run on high-power or low-power setting when i want it to. Perhaps something worth looking at if it makes it even more quiet. I will get it back tomorrow and tell how much difference it makes. My set up is a lot smaller though - just got a TD125, so can't tell you if the filter thing is true. The only thing i can tell you is that a larger filter compared to a smaller one will increase its longevity as it doesn't work at max output. :v:

• Like 2

6" TD with 8" filter. 1m tent and it was on a controller on the lowest setting still insane negative pressure, if i was u id go 10" TD for a 2.4m? others may know i never seen that size tent to be honest.

but they do work and quiet they are! airflow and carbon filter sucking was the loudest and also the air circulation fan.

Acoustic duct works well with the airflow noise also

• Like 1

Good luck on your quest to silence! Just got a hold of a TD silent as my current fan is "buzzing" me off and i finally decided to make amendments.

A friend is currently installing a switch to make my TD run on high-power or low-power setting when i want it to. Perhaps something worth looking at if it makes it even more quiet. I will get it back tomorrow and tell how much difference it makes. My set up is a lot smaller though - just got a TD125, so can't tell you if the filter thing is true. The only thing i can tell you is that a larger filter compared to a smaller one will increase its longevity as it doesn't work at max output. :v:

Thanks,

Yeah Im sure Ive read about the 2-way switch,would this prevent the need of a controller then? or can a controller still be used on either the high or low setting? I never new the td silent fans had a high/low setting,thanks for the headsup on that.

Goodluck with yours aswell,hope it comes back and alls well.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Penny.

2 way switch pretty kack unless you dont mind changing fan speeds all time as the ambient temp effects the temp of your grow room i prefer a controller to keep the temps stable 24/7 without having to tinker all the time. :yinyang: :yinyang:

• Like 2

6" TD with 8" filter. 1m tent and it was on a controller on the lowest setting still insane negative pressure, if i was u id go 10" TD for a 2.4m? others may know i never seen that size tent to be honest.

but they do work and quiet they are! airflow and carbon filter sucking was the loudest and also the air circulation fan.

Acoustic duct works well with the airflow noise also

Cheers mate

Yeah the dr240 is just double of the dr120 its 240x120x200 I think a 10" would be overkill,but on a controller I spose it would be fine,previous grows a 6" ruck was fine for extracting and only run at full pelt in the height of summer. That was with 1x600 now Im want to run x2 and rekon a 8" would suffient?

Ive read about folk sleeping where their grows are and using these fans,they say all they can hear is an oscalating fan inside the tent,now Im getting on abit in age,but that does sound ideal.

Last grows aswell the extraction was from the bedroom to attic so there was no whoooosh noise then,but this time it will be outta the bedroom window,her indoors has said..NO more holes in the ceiling,fair enough!

Cheers for your reply.

Penny.

• Like 1

2 way switch pretty kack unless you dont mind changing fan speeds all time as the ambient temp effects the temp of your grow room i prefer a controller to keep the temps stable 24/7 without having to tinker all the time. :yinyang: :yinyang:

Hello bud

Sounds good to me,good point made.

Ta

Penny.

a 6" high power is plenty with 2x600s and 6" intake low power on a sms mechanical hybrid controller withy acoustic ducting be quiet as you will get. :yinyang:

a 10" on controller would be well loud as would a 8" and is over kill for 2x600s

• Like 2

Penny I run an 8" Etaline (£90) it's acoustic and quiet as a mouse but I'll tell you now no amount of tricks and tech savvy will silence the rush of air an 8" creates, I've got mine on a silencer AND acoustic ducting, when it kicks in full pelt you can hear it in the bedroom.. from the loft lol

Also I put it on my primair (voltage controlled) same as yours and anything inbetween 20 and 80% it rumbled like fuck, I mean you would hear it in the street it was that loud, so I got a step (variac) controller and now it's silent :)

Apparently you can get lucky with some fans matching the voltages but for most fans the voltage controllers will make them noisy, and wear them out quicker.

8" and 5" for that size space mucker :yep:

:yinyang:

• Like 1

I've got a 8" in and 6" out, both TD silents and they are hooked up to an Ecotechnics controller. Max fan speed is set at 75% and they are pretty quiet, I have quite long runs of acoustic ducting to. I reckon they make about the same noise as my 5" ruck that's is running full blast

I'm yet to hear any humming, but there's still time lol

• Like 1

a 6" high power is plenty with 2x600s and 6" intake low power on a sms mechanical hybrid controller withy acoustic ducting be quiet as you will get. :yinyang:

a 10" on controller would be well loud as would a 8" and is over kill for 2x600s

Cheers mate,I should have mentioned in my op that I plan to have 2x1k lights in there during oct-may,Im thinking 8" with reducer,accoustic duct,and on a controller running at 50% rather than a 6" on at full pelt if you know what I mean,idealy I want 2 fans that will cover both x2600 & x2 1k with as little noise polution as possible.

Ta

Penny.

Penny I run an 8" Etaline (£90) it's acoustic and quiet as a mouse but I'll tell you now no amount of tricks and tech savvy will silence the rush of air an 8" creates, I've got mine on a silencer AND acoustic ducting, when it kicks in full pelt you can hear it in the bedroom.. from the loft lol

Also I put it on my primair (voltage controlled) same as yours and anything inbetween 20 and 80% it rumbled like fuck, I mean you would hear it in the street it was that loud, so I got a step (variac) controller and now it's silent :)

Apparently you can get lucky with some fans matching the voltages but for most fans the voltage controllers will make them noisy, and wear them out quicker.

8" and 5" for that size space mucker :yep:

:yinyang:

Etaline? Ffs trust you to chuck another name in the mix hahaha,only joking fella,will have a gander. Im sceptical about these td silent fans,not saying they dont have some sort of hum/noise/whooosh,but from what Ive been reading they sound like what Im after,money aint a problem,just want it to be as quiet as pos mate after realising how bloody loud ruck fans where...scary stuff but No complaints in 9 years,must be me just getting old and wanting some quiet eh lol

Cheers mate..

going to keep an eye on this penny arcade,cant wait till you step up n play ;)

Just ring the bell... :)

I'll be here till the end as well cos I don't do walking away lol

Aye,unlike Mr oneil haha,never seen that coming..did you?

I've got a 8" in and 6" out, both TD silents and they are hooked up to an Ecotechnics controller. Max fan speed is set at 75% and they are pretty quiet, I have quite long runs of acoustic ducting to. I reckon they make about the same noise as my 5" ruck that's is running full blast

I'm yet to hear any humming, but there's still time lol

Tony

Hows you doing fella? Good to hear your in a simular position and using what Im looking for,I dont think i,ll need more than 4ft of ducting,so i,ll aim to keep that as straight as I can. Have you got your ins and outs mixed up there? Glad to hear a report of no hum either. How bigs your room fella,you in a tent or built something?

Hows this sound:

10" (rhino) >> 8" (reducer) >> 8" (td silent) >> accoustic duct (4 feet)

Keep them coming folks.

Thanks Penny.

• Like 2

Yeah sorry mate, 8" out 6" in lol

I'm in a 1.2 x 2.4 x 2 meter tent

I've also got a 10" rhino with reducer

Pretty good setup although I think my controller will cause some humming at some point

• Like 1

lol

Cheers Tony & goodluck with the betting :)

Any pics of your setup chief? Just wanna see what Im up against with this new setup,my bedrooms only 10 feet wide so im gonna be left with around 2 feet and Im a fat fooker,this could get messy hahaha.

Be lucky.

Penny.