Clone Seeds

DutchPassionTony

They will fit into the modern (Growing) world very well, they meet the demand for "perfect plants" every time. Hence the praise from some of the growers here on 420.

I shall not bother with them myself, I like to go about things in my usual antiquated manner. You know - seeds, compost, water and so on.... Plus, I like in-strain variation, uniformity is something I frankly loathe.

I can't help but think this will just place yet more control into the hands of the seed business. Maybe in an age of "legalisation" (another inevitable modern thing that I am not overjoyed about) it will also please Governments, who can now use it to place low-THC strains into the hands of their appointed "State Registered Growers", thus ensuring that uniform, same everywhere, low THC buds flood the streets, so that no one is exposed to those nasty "Extreme Hybrids".... OK, I'll put the spliff down, and use less mushrooms in my tea......

But no, not for me, no thank you. But thanks for the offer, and ... urm .... good luck with that :)

• Like 5

Guest Nu Jerzey Devil

Hey Arnie,

You probably find people thought the same sort of things about Fem's before they came out or just after they came out for sale

I doubt it will have these negative effects you mention, I highly doubt they will Replace Seeds. Reg's, Fem's and Auto's will always be sold were there is the demand for them... Simple as

:yinyang:

• Like 1

NJD, you are right, some of us still do say the same things about Fem seeds ;)

As to the rest, only the future can tell. But I note that over 95% of some folks seed sales are for fems. Now is that mere customer choice? I don't think so, I think its got much more to do with clever, intense marketing. In other words fems were and still are being positively "pushed" on the seed market. Not saying (here) that this is good or bad, just that this is the way I see things unfolding right now.

Will Regs always be sold everywhere? lol I don't think that is going to happen at all. Not happening right now. On Attitude right now, Dutch Passion list 48 Femmed strains and just 18 "Regs". Its quite clear, they even admit it, their focus is mainly if not solely on the femmed market. Of course it is, that's where the money is. All those repeat orders, and none of those old hippies hacking away with Regular parents. Cannasanto, so to say. Or Monabis :woot:

Will this new technology replace seeds? Most probably. Isn't that the nature of scientific progress? Old technologies rarely survive long after the new ones emerge, they lack the required purpose, and are no longer of use.

It seems futile, surely, to try and stop the progress of science? One may hold views on its moral character or integrity, but its existence and future are beyond doubt. One must just accept that.

And this is why I am, for example, happy to test Dutch Passions femmed "Ortega Indica". My views on the femmed seed things are known, and have not changed. But I am not so daft as to deny - they are the future. So it seems only right to test them, and see just how useful they are, and just how accurate the marketing really is.

• Like 3

Guest Nu Jerzey Devil

I guess only time will tell Arnie :yep:

But whilst there are people out there who still buy Reg Seeds (Me being one of them) and there being a demand for them they will always be there, Breeders need them to breed with also.

Anyways I look forward to the new clone seeds. I wont be ditching all the other types of seeds just because these new clone seeds are out.

I will try them and just blend them into what I am already doing, So I just see them as an added tool in my Tool Box :smokin:

The Fact that the clone seeds are meant to be the best genetic representation of the Parent plant that the Seed companies do there Strain Descriptions for is a Step forward. It means we will be able to see if what they say about there strain is indeed true. Due to there being less Variation. Seed Companies will no longer be able to hide behind the shadow of telling there customers the fact they got plants which were below par was due to Variation through Seeds or Natural Seed or Reg's Seeds or Fem's Seeds

I think this will be a good thing in its self, as we will be able to find out what strains we like and dont like quicker :skin_up:

• Like 1

To take a positive from it, technically if theres going to be a market for 'elite clones' then there will have to be an equal push on the reg seed because where do elite clones come from? Pointless having a restricted market

To make it worth doing really they should work more with the regs to find more and better 'elites'

But again, the argument of who's in control?

Guest komodod

alot of people seem to be very misinformed about this and quite scared about these borg style seeds coming into the idustry. all these ''seed'' are is a miniture clone within some gel and a shell. thats it

they are not genetically engineered, sterile or whatever. they are just mini clones.

its a fantstic idea to get clones from over the pond to the uk, and is fantastic from the point of veiw that gennetics which should benefit everyone, will be spread far and wide. sending these to a friend would be exactly the same as passing them clones, apart from the fact they will not die in the post etc.

if you are against these, you must all be against cloning too???

and btw, tissue culture has been around for a while. you can buy strains like this already, but its rare at the moment. like mentioned before its just an advanced type of cloning/tissue culture.

plus there is already hundreds of elites, just most of them are hoarded by the breeders. might put an end to that?

Edited by komodod
  • Like 2

I do not fear them, neither am I against them, komodod, if your post is aimed at me. I regard them as an inevitable progression, whic I have no intention of utilising in my own grow

Guest komodod

no it was not directed at you at all. you grow however it suits you mate.

these things are basically a clone in a little ball thats all i wanted to point out as in this thread people have mentioned perfect plant engineering and sterility etc. i just wanted to clear that up.

im not sure if it will be a thing of the future. it could actually negatively affect seed sales aswell so for people who have mentioned that it is a kind of marketing ploy, you need to look at it this way. say me and five mates wanted to find the best blueberry pheno out of a pack of dutch passion bb, instead of growing loads of packs out, we could just buy three of these between us all then clone it and pass it around. so seed sales could suffer. someone else has gone to the trouble of finding it and turning it into this clone seeds.

is it a thing of the future? probably not, because one cut cannot last forever, so at some point, you would lose the genes, and they would get too old to function in the mother and the clone seeds, so you would have to revert to seed again at some point even if it was to make more clone ''seeds''. its an interesting concept, useful for some growers not for others.

Yeah , i'd buy a pack between my mates . Hmm,hold on.

:unsure:

Will they be sold in single varieties !?

Guest komodod

each ''seed'' would be one strain/clone

Edited by komodod

each ''seed'' would be one strain/clone

I don't have any friends.. :smoke:

• Like 1

a miniture clone within some gel and a shell.

they are just mini clones.

sending these to a friend would be exactly the same as passing them clones

therefore illegal under most/all countries laws.

• Like 1