Clone Seeds

DutchPassionTony

It even says in the article that they wont be allowed in most countries-

As laws stand today there may be legal problems as this is technically ‘living’ marijuana plant tissue which might be deemed illegal in some countries. But in some US states cuttings can be bought openly under the medical marijuana laws, the same is true in Austria. So in some area’s clone seeds might be a legal alternative to cuttings. Other countries might need to wait for marijuana laws to liberalise.

I think you've misjudged it sawney, comparing those to fems :)

FAI mate, hope your fine. Hows that dog of yours, still plenty energy? :skin_up:

Your more than likely correct as I know absolutely nothing about the process used to do this. But I was not really comparing them to Fems just stating that if its Dutch Passion that's researching this and planning on releasing this then if you go by how reliable and stable their Fems are then I dont hold out much hope of being able to grow identical plants from everyone of these 'new seeds'.

:yinyang:

We already have the perfect delivery system for passing genetic material designed by nature with a few billion years worth of trial and error behind them they are called seeds!, this is actually quite ridiculous and farcical trying to reinvent seeds the legality of which will bring unwanted attention to the seed market in general when they try to sell and ship this product, it is basically a tissue culture, a living plant held in suspension in a gel, it will be classed as a plant from the outset and therefore prohibited

under the Misuse of drugs act, is this the great breakthrough? what a crock of pointless retrograde elitist shit :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Like 4

''People know how to extract the somatic-embryo’s'' .

They're clones , but the '' perfect'' cannabis plant wouldn't appeal to me personally . Asexual propogation , perhaps pods or balls are more appropriate words than seed , it's confusing .

Growth regulators are going to be used to create embryos on tissue . A clone from mother but from many cells divided asymetrically , artificial seed is probably what you'd call them .

What sort of hormones do you use and can I get them in the supermarket ?! Just for the craic of it ...

• Like 1

If this is what it says on the tin then surely it is a very good thing for growers? No matter how many seeds you buy your not guarantee'd that specific pheno which is so good. (Unless of course I'm mistaken and this is untrue.)

I for one like a variety and where as some growers prefer buying 10 seeds and keeping the best pheno, the ability to buy the best selected pheno, from a far bigger grow space than we have available sounds fantastic.

This would enable you to try each strain advertised, at its best.

If you could order clones online of all the best pheno's, wouldn't you?

Keep it up, sounds very interesting!

Atb,

Wretchy

:spliff:

E2A: I don't know anything about how it works etc. but I would have thought aslong as it was in a shell and wouldn't grow without assistance, like a seed, surely its fair game lol

Edited by Wretchy
  • Like 3

Guest Nu Jerzey Devil

I think this will be just another Tool in which is the Growers Tool Box

Will be very interesting to see what comes of it. I think it would be good to see what the difference is between these and Seeds :D

:skin_up:

Yes nobody this is what I was talking about :D

Edited by Nu Jerzey Devil

Good idea I reckon, if you can sort getting live tissue around the world lol Good luck with that. The feminisation experiment burgeoned and gained the pace we see today, around the glamor of so called elite strains that should have been distributed as clones. So if you can nail that pesky prohibition to the wall :wassnnme: I think you're onto a winner for getting large numbers out there pretty efficiently.

• Like 2

I can't see how i'd lose if i chose to try something new, whether it turn's Good/Bad or Ugly!.

I am more the wiser at the end :spliff: , allbeit by a small margin lol

peace :hippy:

I suppose it all boils down to what is considered

a "carefully selected elite cannabis plant"

I happen to like variation, yes it can be an absolute fucker

deciding which female from a batch is my favourite :skin_up:

Its a desperately hard life, being a small time ganja grower. :smokin:

Sounds good as a quick fix but will this technology ever be available to the small time grower

to share genetics? I doubt it

Seems like another glorious marketing tool and a diminishing of the genepool

For example Tony, the elite clone is it one per strain?

or x or y ?(or how many you can get hold of and verify the quality) :stoned:

dudley

• Like 3

Think it's a nice option. As long as you can still get everything else ie regs, fem seeds. Do they use them for regular crops?

Would this be the process of artificial apomixis by any chance?

Plants have for the first time been cloned as seeds. The research by aUC Davis plant scientists and their international collaborators, published Feb. 18 in the journal Science, is a major step towards making hybrid crop plants that can retain favorable traits from generation to generation.

Most successful crop varieties are hybrids, said Simon Chan, assistant professor of plant biology at UC Davis and an author of the paper. But when hybrids go through sexual reproduction, their traits, such as fruit size or frost resistance, get scrambled and may be lost.

"We're trying to make a hybrid that breeds true," Chan said, so that plants grown from the seed would be genetically identical to one parent.

Some plants, especially fruit trees, can be cloned from cuttings, but this approach is impractical for most crops. Other plants, especially weeds such as hawkweed and dandelions, can produce true seeds that are clones of themselves without sexual reproduction -- a still poorly understood process called apomixis.

The new discovery gets to the same result as apomixis, although by a different route, Chan said.

Normally, eggs and sperm are haploid -- they have half the number of chromosomes of the parent. The fertilized egg and the adult plant it grows into are diploid -- containing a full complement of chromosomes, half contributed by each parent.

Chan and his colleagues focused their work on the laboratory plant Arabidopsis, which has certain genetic mutations that allow it to produce diploid eggs without sexual recombination. These eggs have the same genes and number of chromosomes as their parents. But those eggs cannot be grown into adult plants without fertilization by sperm, which adds another parent's set of chromosomes.

Last year, Chan and UC Davis postdoctoral researcher Maruthachalam Ravi showed that they could breed haploid Arabidopsis plants that carried chromosomes from only one parent. They introduced a genetic change so that after the eggs were fertilized, the chromosomes from one of the parents were eliminated. Such haploid plants would reduce the time needed to breed new varieties.

In the new study, Chan's lab, with colleagues from India and France, crossed these Arabidopsis plants programmed to eliminate a parent's genes with either of two mutants that can produce diploid eggs.

The result? In about one-third of the seeds produced, the diploid eggs were successfully fertilized, then the chromosomes from one parent were eliminated, leaving a diploid seed that was a clone of one of its parents.

Ravi described the result as a step on the way towards artificial apomixis. The team hopes to produce crop plants, such as lettuce and tomato, that can fertilize themselves and produce clonal seeds. Applications for provisional patents on the work have been filed.

The other authors on the paper are: Mohan Marimuthu, Jayeshkumar Davda and Imran Siddiqi from the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, Hyderabad, India; Sylvie Jolivet, Lucie Pereira, Laurence Cromer, Fabien Nogué and Raphaël Mercier, L'Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Versailles, France; and Lili Wang, UC Davis Department of Plant Biology.

The work was principally funded by the National Science Foundation.

My link

Not going to pretend I understand all that, but thought it may be useful for those more scientifically knowledgable than myself to discuss.

I think in that link it's explained that they're sexed plants . They have to be in order to make seed , actual seed. Except one set of chromosones is eliminated .

I'm guessing what Dutch Passion are doing is stem tissue culture , but using a coating on the embryo taken from the piece of tissue which would have been turned into a nodule of embryos after being cultured with hormone . I would imagine it's cell division ,and asexual ?

I'm interested to see how you'd market them and what the governments approach is going to be like .

When reading a pamplet on how seeds are made 99% female there was no mention of collidal silver or colchorine . In actual fact it wasn't explained in truth . Also I remember reading that Nitrogen levels in soil are a determining factor in gender of plant . That was in the leaflet for customers to gulp down . Sorry, those pamplets should have been recalled .

When DP release these will they explain how they're really made ?

Edited by SilC

this is an old idea, Vic High and Breeder Steve talked about this more than 10 years ago

but i like the idea, maybe then we can get plants that resemble what the seed companies claim in their sale blurb, instead of now where you have to get lucky to find a plant similair to the advertised one from your 5 or 10 pack

• Like 1