Any other practising Christians on here?

Red-eye Jedi

Great thread here guys found out some interesting things...

I think christianity preaches great morals, and this can only be a good thing really, especially in a society which I feel is caught in a downward spiral.

However my big issue with this is firstly how many christians believe that 'believers' are off to heaven while 'non believers' are going straight to hell- despite how they have lived their lives, if they are a good person etc... I'm sure these aren't the beliefs of all but have heard it from a few myself!

Guest bazzad9

be carefull what you say ratdog

"4:18 Therefore, repent all ye ends of the earth, and come unto me, and believe in my gospel, and be baptized in my name; for he that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned; and signs shall follow them that believe in my name."

ether 4

look out for signs following you down the high street :smokin:

the book of mormon is pure fiction :smokin:

You're gonna regret that come Judgement Day.

• Like 3

look out for signs following you down the high street :smokin:

It`s ok, i have this in my rear window

post-43394-0-17667200-1338404020_thumb.jpg

Guest bazzad9

I think christianity preaches great morals, and this can only be a good thing really, especially in a society which I feel is caught in a downward spiral.

i dont think it does the bible says if your children are insolent you should take them to the edge of the village and stone them

not to mention its stance on slavery

if you look at the ten commandments the ones that are not about how to worship are nothing that hasnt been said pre bible

the golden rule for example do unto others etc was first said by confuscius

if you get morals from the bible are you using those morals because god said so or because they are good anyway ,

have a look at this it covers it quite well

Euthyphro dilemma

h ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthyphro_dilemma

im not denying some storys in the bible are moralistic in there nature but morals where around long before the bible

looking at remote tribes there overall moral code might seem un moral to us but im sure looking at us they may think the same ,all our wealth, lights, buldings ,cars etc but we still let people starve on the streets

:smokin:

Guest bazzad9

im just gonna repent the day before and really really mean it :smokin:

Guest bazzad9

Unlike the bible you mean ?

valid point and i agree

i just mean in the sense the book of mormon has materials that werent around at the time animals that werent around at the time amongst other things .

a child could show the book of mormon to be false with a little research the bible is a different matter ,its seems pretty accepted the bible was written a minium of 70 years after the death of jesus ,it could be it was all made up from scratch but i think its just as likely there was someone called jesus at the time and the storys where just that and then added to and changed ,i dont beleive the miracles because there is no writings at the time of them

then we dont know who wrote them or why

there s a lot more needed to know about the bible the book of mormon was written by joseph smith a convicted con man :smokin:

Edited by bazzad9

Yeh I agree with you there mate, I didn't mean to say that the bible invented these good morals, just that it encourages people to live by them.

The Euthyphro dilemma is quite interesting, highlights another issue I have with religion in general- as you said following good morals because god said so, not because you decide to yourself!

im just gonna repent the day before and really really mean it :smokin:

I`m gonna use this excuse from W.C.Fields if i`m caught reading the bible when i`m dying

"I'm looking for loopholes"

• Like 2

I was chatting with someone about Mormonism the other day. I don't know if this is true or not.

Apparently followers have to give a percentage of their income to the church. But then if at some point in your life you want to buy a house or start a business or something, you can go to the church elders and they'll set you up financially!

Sounds like a pretty sweet arrangement to me!

I was chatting with someone about Mormonism the other day. I don't know if this is true or not.

Apparently followers have to give a percentage of their income to the church. But then if at some point in your life you want to buy a house or start a business or something, you can go to the church elders and they'll set you up financially!

It`s called Tything mate, and no, it looks like they never get it back, it goes to build churches and print copies of the book of mormon, admin ect

Guest bazzad9

i know most of them do tithes but i think its mainly for thier comunity buildings and missionary work not sure about setting people up but its seems resonable they would help their own out :smokin:

they do see pretty strict on collecting it though

h ttp://mormonthink.com/tithing.htm

You have all mentioned concerns of mine.Trust me i wrestled hard. i didn't want to believe. It is a concern Ratdog but its something that i feel has always been in my heart and it seems to tie up lose ends. Plus i wouldn't call twenty years of addiction a fad. My counselor said it could be a replacement addiction. He was a muppet though he kept telling me to love myself as i was because i cant help my past. Well i didn't want to love myself cuz i was a completely twisted twat so i m glad i ignored him. This is a lifestyle that is helping me become the person i always wanted to be. I never beat my addictions as hard as i tried. Only when i got faith did i experience the psychic change necessary. Some days i wake up and am concerned that it is all just a benign mind trick but then something real will happen that blows me away.

Regards to treatment. A twelve step programme opened the door for me yes. I believe that addicts have an unfair advantage over the 'normeys' in that we all ready know that society is bollocks. I used drugs to fill the spiritual void in me. Why was i created with a spiritual void? I was lucky enough not to have been born missing a heart. I doubt evolution left me short of anything. Its just i was never taught to use my spiritual compass. In the same way most of us dont naturally use chi breathing. It was always there. All i had to do was ask.

Dont smoke anymore but i love this website. Time to walk the dog. i ll catch up with you all later.!!!

Edited by bennyblueboots