An opening statement from Dutch Passion

DutchPassionTony

Here are a few introductory words from a new look Dutch Passion. We are opening a forum here to let you see more of us and see how we have changed. We know we have suffered a lot of damage to our reputation with feminized seeds going hermie and with first generation Auto seeds giving poor results. We have put a massive amount of work into both areas and we hope to convince you that both these problem areas have been sorted. In the case of the AutoFem seeds the performance you can now get in good conditions may even surprise you. We will be giving away more seeds this than ever year to let you see for yourself how far things have improved.

We are looking forward to being here. We will keep running the competitions which we know many of you enjoy. We will help growers with questions. We hope to get closer to our customers than we have before.

Many of you were angry about hermie issues with our earlier feminized seeds and felt that the first AutoFem seeds were disappointing. Well, we agree they were and we have to apologise for this. We hope those of you that were upset can accept this apology. We took a lot of criticism for unreliability of the first feminized seeds, but today we have developed very controlled processes to create really trustworthy feminized seeds. We want to get things into the correct proportions too. Today, although we still offer non-fem seeds very few people want them. 97% of our seed sales are feminized and hermie issues are a rarity. We sell thousands of seeds every week and get less than 1 complaint per day. That is not too bad for any kind of business, but of course we aim to improve further. We try to deal with any unhappy customers in as fair a way as we can, you can contact us on our website, by post, by facebook, skype or in person in Holland. Where we can improve we will. And now you can also speak to us here. Perhaps we should have done this sooner.

The best AutoFems today are now unrecognisable from the first ones, and some of them are proving more popular than established traditional varieties. AutoFem’s such as our ‘Think Different’ have potency as good as the best traditional varieties, that certainly was not the case with the first AutoFems. Take a look at the current UK420 “guess the dry weight” competition to see ‘Think Different’ growing in a deep-water-culture. All the things we have learnt since we started with AutoFems 5 years ago have allowed us to rework and significantly improve all our AutoFem’s, especially the first varieties.

Anyone basing a scepticism of AutoFem/feminized seeds on experiences of a few years ago should take another look at how far things have moved. That’s one of the reasons why we are here. The ‘free seeds for a grow diary’ competition is one way for people to see for themselves what can be achieved and how far quality has been improved. Can we be any fairer and more transparent than that ?

When you are dealing with nature things don’t always go to plan, things may happen which you were not expecting. For the lowest possible chance of hermies traditional non-feminized seed may still be the best bet by a small margin, but feminized seed is nowadays not that far behind. And fem’s offer extra convenience - smaller grow rooms needing less energy means most people are happy to trust feminized stock and nowadays that trust in Dutch Passion feminized seeds is not misplaced.

Of course we wouldn’t still be here after 25 years if most of our customers didn’t like us and the varieties we have developed. So we look forward to spending more time here and getting to know you all better. Our seed collection has never been as good, there is a mix of time-proven classic varieties and some really top quality new varieties in which we would include our AutoFem’s

This is our 25th anniversary year and, as Withnail previously announced, we will be giving away (10) seeds to around 20 selected growers in return for a grow diary and smoke report. This is your chance to see for yourself how much we have improved and it wont cost you a penny. You can have ten seeds of one variety, or 2x5seeds of two different varieties. Or I guess 3 varieties x3seeds. We will be asking all growers to give regular updates and honest appraisals in their own words. All completed and regularly updated grow diaries will get a complementary merchandise pack and some free seeds on completion of their diary to thank them.

The best grow diary will get a €250 e-voucher to use on our webshop. Second prize will be an electronic voucher for €150. Third prize is the same for €75. You can spend that on seeds or merchandise. Any USA folk will already know that we can’t send seeds to the states, sorry in advance to them. We are looking for experienced growers, those with a good track record of documented grow diaries will be preferred. I will open a separate forum where people can put their names down for the competition which will be for indoor growers and guerrilla growers, we will announce the lucky seed winners in a couple of weeks. Good luck everyone and thank you all.

• Like 24

What a refreshingly honest post, thank you.

I am a huge fan of your old strain 'Blue Moonshine' and have a cut that is well over 10 years old.

Do you have any plans to release the strain again?

ATB :)

• Like 1

Guest shitead

Hi Dutch Passion, i have never used your seed's before, i will be using some this year though for a GG and will be looking forward to trying some out.

I can understand how a relatively new product has teething problems, until things are tested by the public on a mass scale nobody really knows how that product will perform in the real world.

Best of luck DP and hoping you have a fruitfull future.

• Like 2

Well said Tony, :yinyang:

Your Blueberry I had for a couple of years was amazing.

SC

• Like 1

why not feck the feminised seeds off all together.. :spliff:

and get back to normal, as nature intended seeds

:yinyang:

Because he'd alienate 97% of his customer base.

Whatever our views on fem seeds, it would be foolish in the extreme for any vendor to dismiss them - purely a business decision......I guess.

• Like 3

I am a huge fan of your old strain 'Blue Moonshine' and have a cut that is well over 10 years old.

Do you have any plans to release the strain again?

Hi Man, Blue Moonshine, you can still get her on the website http://www.dutch-passion.nl/en/seeds/product/blue-moonshine/

And for info, even if a variety is withdrawn from the catalogue due to falling sales we always keep an ample supply of seeds in our genebank

And we continue to look at this strain carefully. Since you are a fan I will let you know that we are looking really closely at the specific 'blue' Blue Moonshine pheno for some of our ongoing future strain decelopment work. That doesn't mean we will get a stable, commercial product from it, it will depend on how the work goes. But that particular pheno has proved quite exciting to the greenhouse dwellers at DP.

Hello twigs, and fair question mate. We do get it asked, and i totally understand the reasons why you should ask it. For a number of strains we do offer the non-fem options, but as I mentioned in the post, non-fem seeds is now down to just 3% of our sales. Hardly anyone buys them. There has been decreasing customer demand for years

Hello twigs, and fair question mate. We do get it asked, and i totally understand the reasons why you should ask it. For a number of strains we do offer the non-fem options, but as I mentioned in the post, non-fem seeds is now down to just 3% of our sales. Hardly anyone buys them. There has been decreasing customer demand for years

thanks for your reply tony :stoned:

for me, thats one of the main reason why seed venders should stop selling them..

how do you see the seed business in the next 20 years if this continues.?

i personally think its like watching a slow car crash.

• Like 4

Good to see that your now on a forum. I like Dutch Passion. Tried your Mazar about 3 years ago on my very first grow. I thought it was amazing, but sadly didnt know about clones back then. I now have another pack sitting in the drawer waiting to be popped. I got the Power Plant and Skunk #1 on the go at the moment, they look nice (Started week 6 today). The Mazar and also White Widow will be in action in the next few months. They are all regular and I have only had 2 seeds in the first Mazar grow (which was probably my own fault).

The only thing I dont like is that you have discontinued the SkyWalker in regular form. There were some really nice 'coca cola' phenos in a packet around 2008ish. The femminised seeds in 2010ish were very Mazar dominant, but nor hermie issues. Not what I wanted, but was still good.

Any plans to get SkyWalker in regular form again?

Honesty is always the best policy in any business and I wish every success..:)

Today, although we still offer non-fem seeds very few people want them. 97% of our seed sales are feminized

Although can I say that I find that statistic staggering..:eek:

• Like 1

I can do that, gis a job?

No seriously any vacancies? Chief tester preferably??

I reckon the 3 best jobs in this company are

a) assistant to one of the old-boy breeders. Most hobby growers would learn so much,

b) member of the smoke test team

c) coming up with idea's for future strains. What we are going to do, why, what it should do. Love it

• Like 2

Honesty is always the best policy in any business and I wish every success..:)

Today, although we still offer non-fem seeds very few people want them. 97% of our seed sales are feminized

Although can I say that I find that statistic staggering..:eek:

yes, I knew that figure of 97% would surprise people. Some seed companies only offer female seeds. We have kept traditional seeds as an option on a few older varieties but very few people buy them.

We will keep going with traditional seeds for as long as we can for the people that need them (lots of growers like to have private breeding projects), but traditional seed demand has been in decline for years