Sweet Seed Comp 2012: A 4-Way Cube

Budelaire

Budelaire Present's:

...::The DR120 Box Of Green::...

A Sweet Seeds Competition Diary

2011/2012

Welcome One and All to My Sweet seed competion diary. This is still in the planning stage, but it will be ScroG Powered for sure! Excuse my wordy intro!!

Introduction

I have been thinking over strain selection, as I hastily entered the competition blind with awe at the amazing competition and prizes, choosing the photoperiod variants of Black Jack, Jack 47 and the ubiquitous Creme Caramel!

I've decided upon adding Ice Cool x 4 to the Line up for the main event and may also replace a few of my initial choices to make the logistics of this grow easier, i.e 4 strains that will finish in relative unison. :yinyang:

This will basically be a 4-net-in-1 grow, AKA a BOG [box Of Green].

13 plants will be used and flowered in 1 DR120 tent using 2 bulbs. 4x1mtr square pieces of garden netting will be employed and simply suspended by tie wraps like the bare net shown in the DR120 below. I'm sure you can imagine a smaller initial net, with the three additions tapering off from the net to wards the top, like little stadiums, instead of the bare silver walls! :naughty:

gallery_61117_3171_115789.jpg

Logictics

The 3 vertical nets will be attached to the traditional ScroG net [again using the humble and trustworthy tie-wrap], coming together to make the cube, 4 plants for the bottom, 3 for each vertical net. All in 11ltr pots of Coco. The vertical ScroGs will use 3 tall Au Naturel Examples so that they are lofty and bypass the horizontal net. At which point they will be trained into their own vertical space. An additional area for the 9 untopped plants will be required mid-veg and also taming any unknown genetic traits will be the only pinch points i envisage.

The 4 for the bottom net will be severely trained to keep them horizontal prior to going under the net, simples for them. This is a typical 0.90mtrsq net filled at 19 days 12/12. I would expect a horizontal net filled to this capacity and i will try my absolute best to achieve similar results on the three verticals.

gallery_61117_3171_316630.jpg

Inspiration

Heres a recent 6sqft ScroG grow which as converted me to the ways of The ScroG! Achieving a modest 2oz (+/-) per square foot of net. :)

gallery_61117_3171_345739.jpg

I was going to do a Cube as part of The Last Stand 2011 but i decided to save it for the Sweet Seeds Comp.

I will kick this off once I have had a rest from gardening and decided the genetics... I will be a "Better late, Then Never, Arrival" but thought I'd better throw my hand on the table! Sweet Cheese and Ice Cool are both definite, Jack 47 is 9 weeker too, so a third 9 week contender is in my sights.

Thanks for the great opportunity both SweetSeeds.com and UK420.COM alike.

Keep it Sweet and good luck to all!!

:D

Heres a thorough explanation from the onsite tutorials, about using a BoG/CoG method to achieve Maximum output!!

Tutorial Link = What is SCROG (Screen of Green)?

Bog/CoG excerpt.

"...Many people have been excited about the scrog method and have dreamt up all sorts of ways to expand production, myself included in the mad scientist crowd. The most common variation is the "bog" method.

Bog for "box of green", was first coined by Kunta and further developed by chthonic and several other growers. Added to the horizontal screen are vertical screens around the perimeter. Either additional plants are used at the edges, or the scrog field plants are grown longer, but either way, the additional foliage is allowed to grow up the outside of the vertical screen, taking advantage of wasted air space above the field. It also allows plants at the edge of the field to get into the circle of intensity from the bulb.

Imagine the light field as a circle sitting tangent to a horizontal line. Imagine your plant as a point on the line outside of the circle. How can the plant get inside the circle? By going up. You might equate this method to an "arena" grow in this regard. An extension on the bog theme is spiral bog, first coined by chthonic. In a spiral bog the plants are allowed to add considerable vegetation, which is trained around the box in a laid-down spiral, like this: //////. This method allows all the screen area to be densely filled with bud sites.

There are two ways to fill the vertical bog screens, as I mentioned. The first is to use more plants, which are added to the edges of the grow. When the horizontal scrog field plants are forced to flower, the plants on the edge are allowed to grow vertically like sea of green plants, the resulting growth being trained to the vertical screens. If the growth is too tall for the screens, it can be laid down at an angle, like a spiral bog grow. The advantage of this type of bog grow is reliability and speed, since the horizontal field is filled in exactly the same manner as in a normal scrog grow. The disadvantage is that the number of plants is increased to near plantlet-method sea of green levels.

The second method is use the same number of plants as in a standard scrog grow, or thereabouts, but to allow them to grow longer before forcing, around another two weeks of growth seems to be about right. This process is proving to be tricky for me, and I have so far failed to produce a fully successful extended bog grow. But other growers are having success, and the method is superior in theory. Here's what chthonic has to say about his experiences with 70 watt HPS lights:

"The quickest and most successful approach that I have found to train a bog grow is to lower the horizontal screen to within 6" of the soil and grow 2 plants per sq. ft. straight up to the vertical training screens. As it's a box driven by a 70-watt bulb, the height from the horizontal screen to the roof is only 12". The plants grow unhindered 18" from the soil up through a narrow band of the horizontal screen and onto the verticals until they touch the roof. Then they are laid down horizontally and trained in a spiral fashion /// around the vertical training screens. Spiral bog or s/bog. The cabinet is small; spiral training is the only way to direct the shoots so it just happens...

"The spiral training can go one of two ways. The entire plant can be bent over in one direction and trained along with the rest of the plants in a clockwise or counter-clockwise fashion around the vertical training screens. Or the plant can be trained as it naturally branched, trained in opposite directions along the vertical training screens."

Any method of growing should be analyzed not only for production over the space used, but also for production over time. Just for the sake of argument, let's suppose a plantlet-method sea of green method produces 1 ounce per ft., and the subject plant takes 60 days to complete its life cycle. That would be .017 oz. per ft./day. Let's suppose a scrog grow takes two weeks longer, 74 days, and produces 1 1/2 oz. That would be .020 oz. per ft/day, advantage scrog. Let's suppose than an extended bog grow takes two more weeks than a scrog grow, 88 days, and produces 2 oz. That would be .023 oz. per ft. day., advantage extended bog.

Note that it's possible to shorten the cycle by growing plants in a separate area for about three weeks and then adding them to the scrog setup. But most micro and mini growers don't have room for a separate growing area.

The "bog" term is subject to some debate. Chthonic believes that the term should be used for a box of foliage that surrounds a light held in a vertical position. Such a setup can be an outstanding way to get the most of out small security lights in the 70-100 range. But I think for a larger light, like a 150 or 250, it is necessary for the light to be in the normal horizontal position above the box. Personally, your author thinks that bog can be used as a general term to describe such a grow, and I don't really know what other term to use. Chthonic believes this type of grow can be referred to as an arena grow, but I've usually seen that term applied to free-standing plants rather than a box of screen. In my recent compressed grows using shielded lights, I coined the terms "h/bog" and "v/bog", stealing from chthonic's notation, but no one else has picked up on the lingo. Time will tell what terms become attached to these methods. Most people just use the generic term "scrog". Fair enough.

Finally, hollow screen forms do not have to be in the shape of square-cornered boxes. I've seen one grower using small HPS lights who shaped his screen into a deep bowl shape, with the light suspended in the middle. Recently I read posts on ADPC describing inverted V shapes. A single "correct" way to do this probably doesn't exist.

At this point, these methods are so new that every grow provides significant information. My advice to those new to the scrog method is to get a few fast, flat scrog grows under your belt first to get used to the process. But do add the vertical screens regardless, and capture whatever excess growth you can on the verticals, as there is no reason not to handle as much growth as you can..."

:yinyang:

Edited by Budelaire
  • Like 9

If you can pull this off it'll be one inspirational grow!!! Best of luck dude I want it to work for you as its utilising every inch of grow room space!!! :smokin:

• Like 1

ingenious mr b ,i applaud your creativeness and without using voodoo or rotting fruit ! impressive stuff indeed.good luck squire :wink:

• Like 1

gallery_61117_3938_439.jpg

The Cube will be Ice Cool on the Bottom x 4 and Sweet Cheese at the back with Black Jack and Jack 47 at the sides, all x 3

:D

:v:

Edited by Budelaire

Nice one mate!

Welcome to the contest! I'll follow this with pleasure, good luck for your projects :yep:

Sweet smokes|

tommy

• Like 1

I'm planning it as we speak :eek: It should all come together over the course of 16-18 weeks! :sweaty:

I'm sure it will be worth it for the sight and memories alone... if it goes to plan! :blushing:

Thanks Tommy.

• Like 1

gallery_61117_3938_169318.jpg

gallery_61117_3938_55368.gif

Here we have the selections for the Cube, a mixture of the gifted Jack 47 and Black Jack with Ice Cool and Sweet Cheese added for extra jar filling joy! Can never have too many flavours in the pots! New Jersey's Sweet Cheese turned me on to the strain and Ice Cool sounds very nice so couldn't resist the multi-strain element.. the two other Crosses sound equally impressive, all 4 presenting seemingly good heritage.

The Cream Caramel that I initially choose will be safely stowed away for another day and I will savour the auto-flowering taster I have lined up in the mean time :)

Happy Smoking All!

:yinyang: :yinyang: :yinyang:

gallery_61117_3938_46345.jpg

gallery_61117_3938_114707.jpg

This super hybrid is the result of crossing two of the strongest varieties of all times, Jack Herer x AK-47. This super yielding plant has extraordinary vigour that translates into large buds with a great abundance of resin. The aromas and flavours of this strain, inherited from our mother Jack Herer, are sweet and scented. Due to the hybrid genetic freshness of this plant it’s good for all types of cultivation.

Awards:

1st Award - Mejor Interior - Summer Cup - 4º Edición Copa Cannabica Canaria - 2011

Technical data:

Indica / Sativa: 25% -75%

THC: 18% -24% CBD: 1.6% CBN: 0.5%

Indoor Yield: 500-600 g/m2

Outdoor Yield: maximum production

Indoor Blooming: 9 ½ weeks

Outdoor Harvest: End October

gallery_61117_3938_26883.jpg

gallery_61117_3938_203555.jpg

We have crossbred our Black Domina and an exceptional Jack Herer with a pleasing and intense Haze aroma, resulting in one of our most powerful and highly productive plants. Planted outdoors in earth, with enough Sun, it becomes a resinous and hairy monster as high as 3 metres. A very strong hybrid.

AWARDS:

1st Award - Interior Hydro - III Encuentro Por La Normalización Y El Consumo Responsable - El Punto - Málaga - 2008

2nd Award - Mejor Hashish - X Revolta Verde - Girona - 2008

3st Award - Exterior V Copa Bitox ’08 - Sabadell - 2008

1st Award - Interior Hydro - IV Encuentro Por La Normalización Y El Consumo Responsable - El Punto - Málaga - 2009

2nd Award - Interior - Fumaria 2009 - Lleida - 2009

3st Award - Interior Hidro - 1ª Copa THC Skunk - Donostia - 2009

Technical data:

Indica / Sativa: 50-50%

THC: 16-21% CBD: 1% CBN: 0.6%

Indoor Yield: 500-600 g/m2

Outdoor Yieldn: 500-700 gr / plant

Indoor Blooming: 9 weeks

Outdoor harvest: Beginning of October.

gallery_61117_3938_51726.jpg

gallery_61117_3938_13617.jpg

Developed from a NYC Diesel line. It has enormous potency and is a high producer with a super-strong and rare exotic aroma. A gorgeous plant, with growth characteristics of indica strains that give euphoric highs, it allows you to discover its potent mix of sativas in its broad-based gene pool. Its resin production is exuberant. Ice Cool gives a psychedelic and a long lasting high.

Technical Data:

Indica / Sativa: 40% -60%

THC: 20 - 22% CBD: 0,7% CBN: 0,5%

Indoor Yield: 400-500g/m2

Outdoor Yield: 350-550/planta

Flowering blooming: 9 weeks

Outdoor Harvest: End of September.

AWARDS:

2 nd Prize - Seeds of the million - X Bella Flor - Malaga 2009

1st Prize - VII Cup Lanzarote 2007

2 nd Prize - Popular Prize - Third Meeting of the normalization and responsible consumption - The Point - Malaga 2008

2 nd Prize - Indoor Bio - 3 ª Coppa D'Italia cannabis Antiproibizionista - Rome, 2009

gallery_61117_3938_85737.jpg

gallery_61117_3938_205042.jpg

It’s a fusion between two high-grade strains, Cheese x Black Jack. The genetics highlight the virtues of its ancestors, giving a new twist to the aromas and flavour of the Black Jack.

It produces long central buds surrounded by plenty of peripheral buds that are also long and of good quality.

Its high productivity added to a new and revolutionary flavour - a slight taste of mature cheese and spice - makes Sweet Cheese a recommended option for those who seek new flavours and aromas. Regarding the effects, it is important to remember that we’re dealing with a mix of two of the big hitters in cannabis genetics. Its effect is strong and long lasting, inducing euphoria and a feeling of relaxation.

Technical data:

Indica / Sativa: 30% -70%

THC: 15-20% CBD: 1.4% CBN: 0.4%.

Indoor Yield: 400-600 g/m2

Outdoor Yield: 350-550 gr / plant

Indoor Blooming: 9 weeks

Outdoor harvest: Mid October

gallery_61117_3938_4264.png

Edited by Budelaire
  • Like 1

Guest Nu Jerzey Devil

Hey Bud

That is a Very Good Start to your new diary :notworthy:

Will defo be in here to see the four seasons pizza take shape ;)

All the Best with it :yep::smokin:

• Like 1

Thanks Se7en!

I will be starting the 1st Sunday in February, the 5th; Allowing 18 weeks for the main event, 8 Veg/9 Bloom and also 1 weeks contingency! Bringing it inline with Sunday the 3rd June.

My Auto incarnation will start 4 weeks later 1st Sunday in March.

Many Thanks mate and good luck!