The Hardcore/Punk Rock Thread

mr23

e2a: and mr lydon is selling fecking butter, oh well.

He was on the radio the other day saying how PIL have reformed and it`s all financed by the butter ad`s

Yeah I saw them in Barcelona in may.

I've seen him talking about it and he just doesn't give a fuck basically, I still like him as for all he's done I still don't for a second think he's "soldout". Well he has but I love his fuck you all attitude, he just doesn't suffer fools gladly.

e2a: and mr lydon is selling fecking butter, oh well.

He was on the radio the other day saying how PIL have reformed and it`s all financed by the butter ad`s

Yeah I saw them in Barcelona in may.

I've seen him talking about it and he just doesn't give a fuck basically, I still like him as for all he's done I still don't for a second think he's "soldout". Well he has but I love his fuck you all attitude, he just doesn't suffer fools gladly.

In his defence (sort of) he never really bought in. The Pistols were always the boy band of punk, fabricated and engineered to cash in on the popularity of punk. They weren't proper punk, and they certainly weren't political punk, they were fashion punk. He's always been a mercenary.

E2A Saying that, PIL were far more in the true spirit of punk than the Pistols ever were.

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 1

Possibly controversial one this. But I consider it to be a punk song. Acoustic punk maybe, but still with the original punk ethos of lo-fi do it yourself.

Violent Femmes Add It Up

Apologies if it doesn't meet your particular punk criteria, I think it's a great tune and I absolutely think it qualifies as punk :)

• Like 2

lol Sent myself off on a tangent lol

More stuff that some may not consider punk but I do. They call themselves Gypsy punks :)

Gogol Bordello - Start Wearing Purple :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM1Ahn0Osjo

E2A Don't care if you don't like it, I think it's fucking ace, always puts a ridiculous grin on my fizzog and (depending on how much I've drunk) gets me dancing like an idiot :D:yahoo:

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 1

Apologies lol

Back to undoubted punk.

This is one of my favourite Dead Kennedys tunes (and the DKs are my favourite punk band, the DKs are probably my favourite band full stop), because of the background to it. They'd just released California Uber Alles as a single on Alternative Tentacles but had by no means 'made it', and were invited to a San Francisco awards show at which there were a lot of studio execs to represent the San Francisco 'New Wave'. They start off with a few chords of California Uber Alles, then switch to this song (pulling ties round to turn the S on their shirts into $ - you can hear the laughter when they do it). It's a great big FUCK YOU to the music industry and I love it for that :)

Dead Kennedys - Pull My Strings

Edited by Boojum