science vs religion

I was diagnosed with dyslexia at primary school. No one back then in my life understood a.single thing about it. I was removed from English lessons from 7 until high school and made to spell the same words for about 5 years. When I got to high school I was almost illiterate. Prior to being diagnosed there was no sign of issues. In fact my writing was used as an example of perfect hand writing (the style and beauty of it not the content). It was when I was first asked to read out loud I front of the class that the teachers first thought there was a problem. 

At uni it was properly diagnosed and dealt with. Ever since I have improved in all areas at least a bit.

This is a vid I thinks describes it best.

Cheers tico. 

• Like 1

Guest Thor420
55 minutes ago, nl5 said:

dyslexia with numbers is called discalculia, my mates teenage son has it and adhd quite severely, he’s smart lad in other senses but it’s quite a hard thing to get round with money ect.

I could be misremembering but I believe some of these issues are correlated with above average intelligence. Once you get past the 130IQ range you tend to see an increased risk of various issues like ADHD, OCD, depersonalisation etc. Didn't the guy with the highest IQ ever recorded end up in an insane asylum at 20 years old? Tesla tried to marry a pigeon and Eulur, the mathemetician so great that they had to stop naming things after him because then everything would of been, would hide from every other human being, making sure never to meet his maid whom he would hide from under the stairs as to not make contact when she brought him his meals.

I think it has to do with smart people having an inner monologue and dumb people not having one. You can't really function properly if you are constantly talking in your own head and seemingly are unable to ever turn it off. The NPC meme sort of touches on this, in an obviously joking way.

Edited by Thor420

Just now, Thor420 said:

I could be misremembering but I believe some of these issues are correlated with above average intelligence. Once you get past the 130IQ range you tend to see an increased risk of various issues like ADHD, OCD, depersonalisation etc. Didn't the guy with the highest IQ ever recorded end up in an insane asylum at 20 years old? Tesla tried to marry a pigeon and Eulur, the mathemetician so great that they had to stop naming things after him because then everything would of been, would hide from every other human being, making sure never to meet his maid whom he would hide under the stairs to not make contact when she brought him his meals.

I think it has to do with smart people having an inner monologue and dumb people not having one. You can't really function properly if you are constantly talking in your own head and seemingly are unable to ever turn it off. The NPC meme sort of touches on this, in an obviously joking way.

We’re all wired up differently, I think most people are basically the same maybe slight differences, the lad with the discalculia is artistic and good at sports. I got another mate has a severely autistic son he’s 6, doesn’t speak really and still needs a nappy, his heads kinda square it’s really odd, he’s by no means stupid he moves all the fridge magnets around spelling things out when noones looking - he’s barely even been to school but can spell. As he gets older I wouldn’t be at all suprised if he’s really talented in some way.

Guest Thor420
Just now, nl5 said:

We’re all wired up differently, I think most people are basically the same maybe slight differences, the lad with the discalculia is artistic and good at sports. I got another mate has a severely autistic son he’s 6, doesn’t speak really and still needs a nappy, his heads kinda square it’s really odd, he’s by no means stupid he moves all the fridge magnets around spelling things out when noones looking - he’s barely even been to school but can spell. As he gets older I wouldn’t be at all suprised if he’s really talented in some way.

It is quite intense when you meet someone quite far along on the spectrum who is still able to function, who is clearly a genius but has trouble expressing it. I knew a Jewish guy who was an amazing writer and had an encyclepeic knowledge of economic theories and could cite huge chunks of text off the top of his head. But in public he would sound pretty dumb to people because of his social awkwardness. I always felt really protective of him because people were so rude to him. Something about vulnerable people being hurt makes me so angry. Autistic people get fucked with alot. Hence why they armed themselves with memes on 4chan and got Trump elected to troll normies. Obviously I am kind of joking, but only a little.

1 hour ago, nl5 said:

dyslexia with numbers is called discalculia

And there was me erroneously believing it was called dysnumismia - just goes to show every days a school day lol

3 hours ago, tico cervantes said:

This type of personal connection to "god" is in my opinion perfect. Each to their own personal belief and freedom to follow it as they see fit. No projection onto others. Even as an atheist I would fight for peoples rights to freedom of religion. If everyone could just see it that way I think there would be less issues with personal religion. 

Cheers tico. 

nice one tico 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, harvestreaper said:

the only true church is truth itself 

This comment made me think of Gnosticism, which whilst still having a system of god and spirits taught that we all hold a piece of the devine within ourselves and that the real enemy is ignorance...

With all their ideas about a personal god and truth seeking it's no wonder the gnostic gospels were cut out of modern versions of the bible

• Like 2

Guest theokoles
8 hours ago, Thor420 said:

It is quite intense when you meet someone quite far along on the spectrum who is still able to function, who is clearly a genius but has trouble expressing it. I knew a Jewish guy who was an amazing writer and had an encyclepeic knowledge of economic theories and could cite huge chunks of text off the top of his head. But in public he would sound pretty dumb to people because of his social awkwardness. I always felt really protective of him because people were so rude to him. Something about vulnerable people being hurt makes me so angry. Autistic people get fucked with alot. Hence why they armed themselves with memes on 4chan and got Trump elected to troll normies. Obviously I am kind of joking, but only a little.

On of my uncles. the only one i talk to and the only one with any sense of morality, has aspergers. I don't think it was diagnosed for years and i only became aware a few years ago after the death of my mum brought us together. To say he is high functioning is an understatement, it has obviously had an effect on him socially and emotionally, he married young but they never had children and don't have many if any friends, just each other. He is highly intelligent and worked high up in the banking sector for many years, has many many interests from Russian histroy to american football. He follows amercan football and has done for years, often going to wembly. He never misses a philip glass concert, is also a massive tram and train enthusiast, clocks too.

Up until last year he was also running 12 miles a day and 18 miles on a sunday, he started running about 15 years ago and now has the resting heartrate of usain bolt, 40 something (i shit you not) he was 70 this year. Everything is spreadsheeted, wether its food intake, weight loss gain in ounces per day or food shop bills, spreadsheets..

On the other hand, emotionally he struggles to express himself. He described it best himself when he said imagine being invited to a dinner party, you turn up and find out one of the family has just hung themselves from the dining room chandelier, he would ask is dinner still on lol 

Edited by theokoles

7 hours ago, Ranec said:

This comment made me think of Gnosticism, which whilst still having a system of god and spirits taught that we all hold a piece of the devine within ourselves and that the real enemy is ignorance...

With all their ideas about a personal god and truth seeking it's no wonder the gnostic gospels were cut out of modern versions of the bible

interesting observation  im not up on the gnostics but  i would regard myself as a truthseeker for sure and hey aint that what  science/life is  truthseeking and that ties into bible or  any scriptutres its about proving reproving any truths within there nothing to fear if its true itll hold up under scrutiny, if its not it wont ,the bible is a rome approved censored version of what our ancestors said god is ,,its  for slaves/us ,,the romans are the same ones that killed jesus  so for me there version of events  not first choice for a source of his works ,,the pilgrims progress for example  is regarded as an important book here in england but if you read and old text called the shepard of hermas youll see its just a copy rip off of that the goverment approved author took credit for ,,these people have deliberatly and consuissly decieved/misled us  ,, our familys/ancestors never told us of our enlightement our masters did lol 

Edited by harvestreaper
musical acompanyment
  • Like 1

Guest theokoles
15 hours ago, tico cervantes said:

This type of personal connection to "god" is in my opinion perfect. Each to their own personal belief and freedom to follow it as they see fit. No projection onto others. Even as an atheist I would fight for peoples rights to freedom of religion. If everyone could just see it that way I think there would be less issues with personal religion. 

Cheers tico. 

I've never been much into religion, sunday school at an early age, big church and bread of christ, then a spell with the quakers who actually were a really nice friendly bunch. But no church after about 10 yrs old.. I fall somewhere in the middle, i'm not atheiest or religious but i am "spiritual"..a visit by angels, yes angels that visited and spoke to me and gave me a message one xmas moring, a message/instruction, that i followed and this has brough about major life changes for me..

i'm aware that the same protected rights exist for both atheiest and religious believers and both have to be respected equally. That said, i had a knock on the door last week from a lady and her daughter asking if i believed in god ..it was quite an odd encounter. She told me she had just moved here a year or so ago after her husband died and "left" (i sensed resentment in her tone) her with two kids, she was late 30s very attractive with a daughter about 12 with her, so i had to be tactful. What i took away from our 15 minute chat was that it seemed to me there was a desperate need to be reunited with her loved ones in heaven, that this alone was her motivation for believing. Her bond / love was so strong with her deceased loved ones that the thought of not seeing them again was just too painful. She asked doesn't it bother you that if theres no god or heaven you won't ever get to see your loved ones again? i said no not at all lol she looked shocked like how is that possible, i said i have them in my heart they are always close.

She mentioned superior being and i had to ask her to slow her horses down..i said if there is a god don't think for one second he/she is superior to me lol he made me in his own image warts and all, no greater than I. And whilst were at it i said, ill be fucked if im getting down on my hands and knees to worship anyone, he can bow down at my feet if he likes, and if he doesn't like what im saying, then he shouldn't have made me a cheeky bugger should he lol 

I went on to explain i didn't need a bible for a sense of morality, i simply try to see good in people and treat others as i'd like to be treated, its as simple as that and if after death im magiced away to some pearly gates, i'ts up to him if he lets me in but whatever.. 

I did get a smile from her and gave her a hug and kiss when she left..i felt a bit sad for her..

Edited by theokoles

its ironic ,,i know may self proclaimed athiests that are a lot more christian in demonstration than many self proclamed christians etc but that all ties into the kind of teachings weve been exposed to and  our own indivdual understanding of truth

• Like 1

My father was a Catholic and my mother was raised Protestant but converted to Mormon when I was about 13. 

I went to a Catholic school for primary and secondary. In primary they were proper fire and brimstone types. Half the teachers were either monks or nuns. I knew I was an atheist from probably as young as 7 or 8. Fully cemented when I was taken aside and called an evil little boy doing satins work when I simply suggested they sell some of the gold in the church to raise money for Ethiopia. It was during class and we were being asked to give suggestions for money raising. I knew right then and there that the "holy roman Catholic Church" was no more than a hypocritical cult based on greed, fear and lies. 

At secondary schools they were much cooler about things. There were some non catholics that went there and during any church time they had the right to not attend. When I asked if I could skip church they asked why. I said I'm an atheist and they said fine. Never went to church services the whole time I was there. Nor was there ever any pressure to join in. 

When my mum converted I was there for her all the way. The elders knew I was an atheist but as I supported my mum and I enjoyed having theological debates with them, and had even read the Catholic and Mormon Bible they seemed to like me. I was even there for my mother's baptism. 

Everyone has their own path in life. As long as it doesn't interfere with anyone else's path then you should always support them. Just my opinion though. 

Cheers tico.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, theokoles said:

am "spiritual"..a visit by angels, yes angels that visited and spoke to me and gave me a message one xmas moring, a message/instruction, that i followed and this has brough about major life changes for me..

My gran reckoned she was visited by the Virgin Mary when she was on her deathbed in the 50s, she’d burnt all her lung linings out working with phosphorus in munitions factory’s in Coventry, she reckoned she’d told her she couldn’t die and was to get better because her young kids needed her, and she got better and lived another 55 years, she wasn’t the sort to lie about something, I always put it down to a hallucination while she was really ill.

Guest theokoles

Id never really beleved in anything like that but this encounter "seemed" so real. I have to concede that i was extremely ill suffering with PTSD and anxiety, now im not aware that PTSD makes you hallucinate, i have complex PTSD not something thats just temporary but years of it coming and going and it getting more aggressive..bad nightmares and panic, little sleep but never hallucinations. So it messed with my head, i was visited by two deseased loved ones who clearly told me in xmas morning in 2014 that i had to write and tell about what happened to me in care, that i should tell the police, solicitors, the LA and my Dr. The next night i had a niggtmare and woke in a sweat, a lion had broken in the window grabbed my gf by the neck and was dragging her out the window. I panicked was scared to help but ran to the kitchen grabbed a knife attacked the lion in futile attempt then woke up. The message in my dream was clear..the pen is mightier than the sword! So after my visit and message from angels and the lion dream the night after, i put pen to paper, wrote to those above and initiated legal action against the LA for negligence. That claim was obviously rejected by the LA but my now specialiost solicitors that have taken over have been working to change the law for victims of historical abuse for years and succedded in 2017, now we are suing the LA under the vicarious liability doctrine.

Ive had a couple of years of thearpy, and recieved the desperate thearpy i was in need of and most of all ive been heard and understood and my case has been taken seriously, being herad and having the courage to speak up about lots of things i had been normalised to was a massive milestone, abusers have such a powerful hold on victims often its not until they die you actually realise the uneven power dynamic at work. If i hadnt of had that encounterb that xmas morning, i wouldnt be in my dream home, i wouldnt of hasd therapy and nobody would be none the wiser about my case..i would have gone another 30 years struggling with life in general and my traumatic past..fucked if i know lol 

eta cant edit speliing mouse is fucked.

Edited by theokoles