science vs religion

Given that the religious community tried to stop stem cell research, is Is there any conflict between science and religion ? Is it still acceptable to be religious and be a scientist like Francis Collins the director of the National Institute for Health.

Edited by troy

yes, in the same way its possible for a scientist to legitimately believe his/her parents are who they say they are..without running dna tests ...science and religion don't even ask the same questions so not sure exactly where confilct could occur

..science deals with how ..religion deals with why

• Like 1

Both are sects/offshoots of magic.

In todays world magic and science are bitter enemy's, it wasn't always so...

Biggest problem with science, is that it can explain everything inside the box, but not the actual box itself.

Biggest problem with religion is lack of proof, for meaning and purpose of the universe. Thats what a religion means.

So when the major religions all believe god comes from the sky, created things and the meaning and purpose of the universe are to obey his words/orders/wills,they are basicly believing in aliens.

They're either to unintelligent or brainwashed by altered holy books, to understand this.

Thats it, reality, hard to cope with for sure, but its about time we started imo.

Science tries to deal with how and why I think, using evidence. Religion deals with thing of which there is no evidence. You can believe quite literally what you like about things that can't be proven eitherway.

Which is fine, infact, I think we all do it. It's when it gets all organized and the notion that we should start to agree, in groups, about things of which there is no evidence and that can't be proven eitherway that you run into problems. It's just not healthy, organized religion.

I think people that adhere to organized cults are mentally ill and they should be prevented from holding any position of responsibility. But as long as beliefs don't contradict reason and evidence, limited as they are, I don't see a problem with religion in itself.

• Like 2

Science tries to deal with how and why I think,

when I say why I mean: take something like electricity... science will explain it as something like movement or flow of electrically charged particles...and how this phenomena can be harnessed in a useful way...and at a later date explain more deeply in terms of sub-atomic particles etc..but what science cannot do and doesn't even try..is to explain why particles & matter behave in this way or say explain why anything should exist at all ..all science can do is observe, measure and describe with possibly some conclusion of it's practical use ..but at no point does it attempt to answer why

e2a: electricity was discovered in the 1600's but the electron wasn't discovered until the 1800's ....hmmmn

here an in depth description:

Electric charge is a property of certain subatomic particles, which gives rise to and interacts with the electromagnetic force, one of the four fundamental forces of nature. Charge originates in the atom, in which its most familiar carriers are the electron and proton

Edited by weed_G

Whereas religion attempts to answer why through a system of hunches, guesswork and pure fantasy coupled with the psychological hangover from infancy/childhood that there's someone watching over you with your best interests at heart.

• Like 3

a system of hunches, guesswork and pure fantasy

pretty good description of scientific discovery

• Like 3

Guest weirdofmouth

science just finds patterns in the chaos and tries to systematise as it goes

making out someone somewhere's got some kind of grasp on things ha ha

religion does the same but has much better stories

a system of hunches, guesswork and pure fantasy

pretty good description of scientific discovery

Hardly, its backed up by evidence and experimentation and peer review. When is the next god experiment ?

• Like 2

the key word is discovery ...evidence and peer review tend to come after

Empiricism is usually the beginning of a theory. Where is the god evidence ? Things are not discovered unless there is proof , so evidence and peer review must come before discovery. Before that it is a tentative theory not a discovery.

Edited by troy

when I say why I mean: take something like electricity... science will explain it as something like movement or flow of electrically charged particles...and how this phenomena can be harnessed in a useful way...and at a later date explain more deeply in terms of sub-atomic particles etc..but what science cannot do and doesn't even try..is to explain why particles & matter behave in this way or say explain why anything should exist at all ..all science can do is observe, measure and describe with possibly some conclusion of it's practical use ..but at no point does it attempt to answer why

Science doesn't say what's a useful application of electricity. It certainly does try to explain why particles and matter behave as they do though, it's believe called physics. Why anything should exist at all, is a bit of a leap... True it's difficult to imagine even purely theoretical vidence ever leading to answer that and many other questions. But then, it's even more difficult to imagine religion answering them, because religion by definition thinks it already has answers, and it doesn't do evidence. If it's far reaching questions about the nature of existence you're into you want philosophy, religion is redundant in this regard.

science just finds patterns in the chaos and tries to systematise as it goes

making out someone somewhere's got some kind of grasp on things ha ha

religion does the same but has much better stories

Religion - you're in a cave, life expectancy, 28.

Science - you're here online, life expectancy, 80.

• Like 3