Google Earth: Walk-Through / Guide.

weed_G

Guest The_Guerilla_Dr

Think I'd like to propose a "new" guerilla growing rule/tip...

If a plot looks good from Google maps/Google earth, it's not a good plot.

Zug, that is the most true comment I have seen or heard so far in 2016!

Every single one of the 20 or so potential plots that I have marked out via Google Earth (then gone to investigate) have all turned out to be utter crap! Whether that's because they are too exposed, too close to a path, poor terrain, not enough sunlight etc. They just don't work because what you see on Google Earth from an aerial view will be COMPLETELY different on the ground in person when you arrive.

ALL 3 of my current plots are ones that I stumbled across by chance while just out there investigating for myself, looking across large swathes of land. I have known these 'swathes' of land like the back of my hand for years so I knew roughly where to look and just crawled into the thick of it and low and behold found some great spots. These are spots that a person using Google Earth would never be able to find or see using that kind of perspective. You have got to be on the ground looking around yourself and know the area so you know where to look. It is no good turning up to an area that you have never been to or seen before, surveying it for 5 minutes, realising it is nothing like what you saw on Google Earth, and then having to decide whether it is good or not at the drop of a hat. The only thing Google Earth is any good for when it comes to GG, IMO, is calculating distances to travel or the distances from your plot to the nearest house. Also, when you have found a plot in the winter/spring, you can check it out on Google Earth which shows an aerial image taken in the summer, so you can see if there are any paths or trails nearby where the thick summer vegetation would have been trampled down. This is actually a very valuable tool and has led me to abandon 2 very good spots because there were trails nearby come summer, according to Google Earth.

I wouldn't worry about dog walkers, as long as they don't see you going in. My best spot is about 5 meters from a busy footpath.

Why not try just a few plants this year, guage security for next season?

Gonna throw a load of 'Slim's AK' as I've nicknamed it, purple widow/auto ak x kc36 @@SlimPikins in that spot like 20ish Edited by Captain Kush

• 2 months later...

great thread,

been forced out doors these days, havent grown in about 3 years, but have been actively look for grow sites, found a great 1 recently only to trip over someones grow! lol but have had enough and now is the time

i have a question is the other places.kmz file, still available been a great help this post

cheers

Edited by smallbeginings

• 8 months later...

Think I'd like to propose a "new" guerilla growing rule/tip...

If a plot looks good from Google maps/Google earth, it's not a good plot.

couldnt agree more on this. although i have stumbled upon other's with much better potential so it wasnt a complete waste of time trecking out.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2016 at 1:57 PM, beezee said:

I wouldn't worry about dog walkers, as long as they don't see you going in. My best spot is about 5 meters from a busy footpath.

Why not try just a few plants this year, guage security for next season?

If your best spot is 5 metres from a path do you never have problems with the smell when the plants start flowering

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CHUBBY_LIL_SMURF said:

If your best spot is 5 metres from a path do you never have problems with the smell when the plants start flowering

I've used that plot for 2 years and never had a problem with it, last year I had 18 plants there.

• Like 1

My 1st plot is around 8m from a path but a dog walker would have to leave their dog behind to get in. Flowering smell has been on my mind a little as the path is downwards from the prevailing wind but is obstructed. Kids would be my biggest threat! Especially if the little shits are anything like I was when I was a youngster! Might get some black sludge and plaster it around the entrance!

• 1 month later...

Google Earth pro Is now free!! Don't ask me what the benefits are as I haven't downloaded yet, but it used to be a $400 a year! 

@MacGanja The measuring tool could be usefull.

Google Earth Pro | now free!

Get advanced business tools in addition to all the easy-to-use features and imagery of Google Earth.

• Compute distances and areas using measurement tools
  • Use Movie Maker to produce media collateral
  • Print high-resolution images for presentations and reports
  • Import large vector image files to map GIS data quickly
  • Map addresses with the Spreadsheet Importer

• 3 weeks later...

So i get an idea would you guys think of the dark patches of green are nettles or swamp?

Won't be using this place obviously just an example picture :)

large.IMG_20170426_141209.jpg

30 minutes ago, Key4 said:

@Exile420 Do you use the back in time function? Sometimes previous pics show a different season so it gives a better idea what the areas like.

I use a tablet mate, don't get as many options as you do on a desktop/laptop