Uk Soil Types

Archangel

22 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

@Sal81 soil and potting compost are two different things. 

Soil is what's in your garden. Compost is what goes into pots. 

If you have bought it in a bag it isn't "soil" as such. 

This topic really refers to outdoor gardening. 

Sounds like you have "hot" Compost? 

E2a. Or are you trying to make your own soil mix? 

What are you trying to Do? Grow plants indoors? 

If your just growing autos inside then as I take it your a beginner may I suggest buying a bag of compost. 

Go to a nursery. Somewhere that grows bedding plants and get a bag of whatever they use. It will most likely be peat based compost and will feed your plant everything it need for about 4 weeks.

If you want a bob on organic living  soil mix for autos I list it with result pics in the last page or so of my diary( link in sig) 

If you start from the begging in there is everything you need to know growing in peat based compost too. 

Hope this helps mate.

Peat based compost from.a nursery will do nicely though 

Yes I want to do a light compost for my auto indoor ! 

This time I use a bio bizz light mix ...

But for next time I heard someone that mix the compost with sand or whatever it is.... To make the compost less strong and with more air ! But not sure what they using ! This is why I ask ! 

Thanks anyway ...

• 7 months later...

Hi to all I'm new to all of this and will be trying to grow my first ever plants in large pots on my patio, I'm going to start with real gorrila seeds kushty, now I'm a bit unsure what size pot to use and what type of soil is best to fill all the pots up with, or can you buy a good soil to use? If anyone can advise me please ,very much appreciated

Thank you

14 minutes ago, mollski said:

Hi to all I'm new to all of this and will be trying to grow my first ever plants in large pots on my patio, I'm going to start with real gorrila seeds kushty, now I'm a bit unsure what size pot to use and what type of soil is best to fill all the pots up with, or can you buy a good soil to use? If anyone can advise me please ,very much appreciated

Thank you

Hairy Face posted this yesterday it might point you in the right direction     ..     

• Like 4

6 hours ago, mollski said:

Thank you

Hi mate, the which compost ratings are very fair imo. Defo stay away from miracle gro, don't get me wrong it will grow cannabis but it has a chemical slow release fertilser in it so I don't trust it tbh. There's a lot of decent stuff out there, I find even wilko's cheap £1 for 15l to work very well for my indoor grow.

How are you going to go about the nutrients mate? You could use a liquid feed like bio-bizz or plant magic oldtimer nutrients as they are only in your garden. I've never grown in the garden or with liquid feed, I just use dry ferts. Imho even if they're close-by the plants are still probably better off with dry ferts in the soil. Then if there's a dry spell just feed them water. It's better than looking at a hungry plant in the pissing rain gutted you can't give them food imho. Especially if growing in large pots as they will barely need watering.

Thanks conspirator for the reply, I'm unsure has to what feed I was going to give them, how often should I be doing this has I don't want to over feed or water the plants, what's a good dry feet to buy? Has its all new I'm out on a limb to try and grow a few plants first time round,I need to keep this basic and just grow a few this year.much appreciated

• Like 1

You can use rotted horse manure by itself with compost I think but if not then a mix like Fish blood and bone, chicken pellets, high P bat guano and some kind of potassium source like wood ash, but there is stuff to buy too like sulphate of potash for a potassium source. I' m keeping it simple with chicken pellets, high P bat guano and chase organics potassium pellets. I've never used the organic potassium pellets before I used sulphate of potash from the high street. Just about knowing the strength of them and finding a balance really but it's quite hard to overdo organics anyway.

If you grow just a few then go for pretty big pots and aim for big plants, depending on your circumstances though with neighbours and stealth and stuff etc.

Cool thanks for that I used to use chicken pellets when I grew the boys a giant pumpkin many years ago,I will pop along to the shops and see what's available,  I've got no worries with the neighbors round by me thank god ..

57 minutes ago, mollski said:

Thanks conspirator for the reply, I'm unsure has to what feed I was going to give them, how often should I be doing this has I don't want to over feed or water the plants, what's a good dry feet to buy? Has its all new I'm out on a limb to try and grow a few plants first time round,I need to keep this basic and just grow a few this year.much appreciated

I didnt know this existed until today OT1 Mentioned it ,   anyone used it? (I'm a biobizz fanboy)

BioBizz Pre-Mix Product Details:
BioBizz Pre-Mix is a 100% natural dry fertilizer made from organic matter, trace elements and rock meal. Pre-Mix is the active ingredient in All-Mix so do not add this product to it or you will poison your plants. When mixing Pre-mix to your soil mixture add it in at a ratio of 5% so this 5 litre bag could mix with 95 litres of soil.

Made in Holland BioBizz Pre-Mix is stored for 6 weeks to allow the organic compounds to ferment which makes it such an extraordinary fertilizer. BioBizz Pre-Mix is the most effective organic soil fertilizer around. So if you are going to grow organically in soil then this is the one for you.

Pre-Mix is suitable for plants in late grow and full flowering cycles but is a little strong on the nutrients for small plants, propagation and early growth. For seeds and propagation use either Jiffy Soil Plugs, Fleximix Plugs or Canna Seedmix. For small plants use BioBizz Light-Mix and BioBizz Bio-Grow. All BioBizz soils are 100% organic and provide excellent results.

Pre-Mix N-P-K = 3.0 - 3.0 - 5.0

When using BioBizz Pre-mix as fertilizer for your own soil mix we recommend using 5% Pre-Mix in your mixture. A good standard recipe for a do it yourself potting mixture would be:

50% Potting soil
30% Perlite (30 litres)
15% Worm-Humus (15 litres)
5% Pre-Mix (5 litres)
It is important to mix all the above elements thoroughly and evenly.

• Like 2

another tip i learned was to look for bramble  and especially stingy nettles ...  if  theres  loads of nettles,  the soil is usually very good for  ganja .....

• Like 1

Only one of my plots are where there's nettles and when I turned it over, there was more worms at that one plot than my other 5 plots so it must be a good sign. Proper fluffy soil as well.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Some of my best friends are vegan and I’ve asked them to keep their poo then I am gonna mix it with other goodies like horse poo cow poo sheep poo and leave for the year to break down.Any way what’s your thoughts on adding a bit of my poo the only thing is I eat meat and dairy and I don’t want to end up with a load of shit thanks.goohfy

35 minutes ago, Goohfy said:

Some of my best friends are vegan and I’ve asked them to keep their poo

lol find someone with rabbits dude.. they is the king of shit :stoned:  

dried chicken manure is the ultimate vertiliser for our favorite plant.

old school recept from the pioniers of Dutch outdoor Dame Blanche aka Jan veen  ( R.I.P)

Use 1 teacup per 10 liter of your medium

so... if you dig a hole...50cmx50x50cm...is 125 liter.....use 12.5 teacup....not more then you can burn your plant.mix the manure well.

dried chicken manure has it all it has:

10% calcium , npk  4/3/3 and all micro minerals your plant need....

the dried manure when it is getting wet....will explode ground life...and attract worms..and they will reproduce rapidly.....which wil make you a perfect planthole.

so give it some time before planting out....its organic/bio

do not add any thing more than this....than you can have burns...

==========================================

if you grow in your own garden....use 50% potting soil and 50% cocopeat......both can be used stuff from indoor grows if you have...

also ..the price is low:wub::wub:...some think something has te be expensive for it to work........wrong !:)

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 1