Recommended Spyware/adware/anti-virus Software

mickle

just maybe one thing more . i use lavasoft se pro to scan and my firewall is kaspersky any thoughts ?

I'd use Lavasoft AdAware & Spybot S&D together, as one seems to complement the other. Use them in Safe mode, too - that helps them be able to actually rid your PC of any nasties they find.

I use BlackICE for Winblow$ machines, myself - but whatever works for you. Go to grc.com and use their 'Shields Up' to test your firewall. So long as your firewall protects you, and is easy enough to open ports, & do port-forwards (for Skype, BitTorrent, Emule etc) then it's OK. Make sure you have a good virus scanner/cleaner, too - none of that McAfee, Norton or Dr.Solomon rubbish, either. I recommend F-PROT, myself - it's fast, unobtrusive, got a small footprint, and has frequent updates.

No worries, mate - I'm glad to help out! :yinyang:

I *mean* what I said about ditching IE, though (& Outlook (&/or Express)) while you're at it! Get Firefox and Thunderbird, instead - (s)miles better! Just as easy to use for everyone in the family, and you can import all your bookmarks etc., too.

And later on down the road, think about ditching Window$ altogether, and moving to Linux, instead. For day-to-day web-browing and stuff, it's unbeatable!

And, *yes*, you can keep Winblow$ for your Games, Photoshop, Cubase whatever and dual-boot (have *both* Windoze & Linux, and choose between them at start-up) , if you have to.

:yahoo:

again many thanks... have copied last entry and will act on it. still grinning from ear to ear :smoke:

• 2 months later...

long time no post(must be over a year!)!

anyway i was checkin on here for some programmes for me to download and i got spywareblaster and it's come up with loads of shite (excuse my french!) in the restricted sites section is there any way to get rid of these?

HG

My line up is simply

Avast - free

Ad-Aware Professional - Torrent

although having not had any virii or trojjan activity in the last like 6 month only yesterday or somet I decided to have a look at a new program Spyware Doctor 4 as this non activity seemed weird to me ;)

I simply cant put up enough praise for this newly released software in words ;) The free online version will enable you to scan your system for the threats that are somehow gettin round are other virus scanners....so think of these Win32 trojan executables eithjer in jpegs or whatever source...

After your free scan using it am sure you will be interested in the full version which is a torrent incidently lol I removed somethin like 50 maloicious files with my first scan on a "supposedly" clean system :wassnnme: the majority of these were quite new Win32 password/file trojans....this program is great at not just preventing the malicious file from activating like your AV software but will be completely remove this infection and all other related entries in seconds :yahoo:

• 1 month later...

I`ll add the newest version of ZoneAlarm internet security suite (v7).

It has replaced the computer associates A/V engine with kaperskys highly rated engine, which improves scan speed, removal capability's and has hourly updates.

The firewall has also been greatly improved to include Rootkit & kernel level threats, it also has a new improved pre-install scan to help configure common apps without interruption.

It`s a free upgrade for anyone with a valid subscription, so if you do...

Whatcha waiting for? :smoke:

• 1 month later...

alo playmates, havn't been on this thread for yonks, and fair play to mickle for starting it up ;)

ok to start with, i have XP 2 home....... AVG free edition.......AD-Aware/SE......spybot S/D....Zone alarm v/7

Zonealarm v/7 was downloaded 2 days ago, torrent site, came with a key, and seems to be running ok

but my main concern now is that i may have to many firewalls, and abit worried that they may conflict with each other, and what ime after is someone to help me switch off the firewall-s i dont need, it may help that ive got 2 pc's on the go, so i can chat with someone on 1 pc, and sorte out the firewalls on the other, thanks for reading, and your help will be most appreciated :guitar: t.f.k.

post-7218-1174927944_thumb.jpg

You only want one decent firewall on your machine - it's definately *not* a case of 'more is better' with these - you have Zone Alarm, so just use that, and uninstall any others that you have installed.

Most PCs these days are behind ADSL/Wireless routers which have their own, built-in NAT firewalls, so this is a good extra layer of protection, but it doesn't mean that you can get away with having none running on you PC, as well.

You can also disable XP's crappy, built-in firewall, and like I said earlier, just usr Zone Alarm - it also makes it a hell of a lot easier when you have to open ports for port-forwarding or whatver, like if you're installing/configuring P2P apps like Bit Torrent or EMule, and VoIP stuff.

:smoke:

I had ZA v7 Security Suite via torrent but recently had to uninstall as the TrueVecotor or something kept shutting down on me,so I swithed to AVG pro and Sunbelt Kerio for my firewall.

I do miss ZoneAlarm though...

Burnage B)

• 4 weeks later...
Having used PC's for many many years and tried all the so called spyware removers I now run Xp using mozilla firefox with no firewall or so called protection and I NEVER (yes, NEVER) have the slightest of virus or spyware problems whatsoever...

IMHO the so called spyware removers do nothing but infect your system with their own bugs and spyware, it's all a load of rubbish.

Scan results... ''You have 3,456,342 viruses which we have just removed free of charge for you, BUT if you send us 50 quid we will wipe the 15 most harmful ones off your system which we just installed whilst you were running our virus scan programme''

Nuff said

Toke :yinyang:

no offense mate, but if you did what you said with no firewall or av for many years?? Assuming you were running a windows system you would be owned beyond belief. Running a bot net emailing spam and trojans across the net 24/7 It takes roughly 20 minutes for a new pc with out a firewall on the web to get owned, anti virus alone would make no difference.

Sure there are companies ou there trying to dupe you into installing there malware or part with your money, but a little research can easily point you to cost effective measures.

The free kerio firewall in combination with the free avg antivirus, spybot s&d (free) and microsoft windows defender would be a costless but comprehensive protection.

If you want too spend a little cash get a router.

• 3 weeks later...

just my personal preferences

NOD32, AVG7 and for the firewall,, kerio's free firewall for home users..... never had a problem..

steelfish....

• 4 weeks later...
Most PCs these days are behind ADSL/Wireless routers which have their own, built-in NAT firewalls, so this is a good extra layer of protection, but it doesn't mean that you can get away with having none running on you PC, as well.

Most Routers do have built in firewalls, which work great for inbound connections and provide good enough security. But I would use a software firewall aswell for outbound connections. Routers dont do much for outgoing connections.

Sygate or Outpost are the only firewall's I'd recommend using, alongside NOD32 as an antivirus is a good combination.

I presume that you've been to grc.com's 'Shields Up' site then? :guitar:

Your machine would probably feel a lot lighter on it's feet, and boot a lot faster etc., if you got rid of the unbelievably crappy Norton suite and replaced it with better, separate components. (Like, say, Zone Alarm or BlackICE firewall, and F-PROT or NOD32 antivirus for example)

Spybot S&D and AdAware are a good combo to run to keep an eye out for ad/malware, HiJackThis is very good, too, but you *do* need someone who knows the score to review it's logs so that they can tell you what's good to go, and what to keep etc.

;)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...