Recommended Spyware/adware/anti-virus Software

mickle

Norton slows down computers a lot. Not sure if it still is but I know it used to come pre-installed ona lot of pc's and laptops. Once removed it they went a lot faster.

On 29/07/2019 at 0:30 AM, Conspiranought said:

Norton slows down computers a lot. Not sure if it still is but I know it used to come pre-installed ona lot of pc's and laptops. Once removed it they went a lot faster.

The irony here is Norton in its infancy used to come as a suite. Separate virus checker, firewall, several other applications including Norton Anti-Freeze. This purported to prevent your PC from locking up but such was its demand on resources it was actually the main source of BSOD. Back in the day when your PC reported the clock speed on the front / had a 'turbo' button to prompt the hamster to run faster :D

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Poisonata said:

The irony here is Norton in its infancy used to come as a suite. Separate virus checker, firewall, several other applications including Norton Anti-Freeze. This purported to prevent your PC from locking up but such was its demand on resources it was actually the main source of BSOD. Back in the day when your PC reported the clock speed on the front / had a 'turbo' button to prompt the hamster to run faster :D

Even worse it came with vista lol

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 03/05/2014 at 10:31 PM, Master Kush said:

If your running windows you can now download Microsoft security essentials for free and it's top notch as free programmes go :yep: it's used in large corporations on server editions also so it's secure

E2A- it's Windows own anti virus system

still relevant now..

don’t pay for overpriced bloat, if your copy of windows is legit, download security essentials and your good to go..

then just apply a little bit of common sense and you’ll be fine.

ccleaner is a good one if you like to keep your pc fairly organised.

• Like 2

I haven't installed an antivirus software on my laptops in probably 10 years. Windows Defender is a pretty good first line of defence, and with regularly scanning with Malwarebytes and Spybot I've rarely have even a hint of a problem, little more than the odd PUP. Coupled with browser ad ons AdBlocker Ultimate, Ghostery and sometimes Giorgio Maone's No Script.

I'm also fairly careful about the files I download, always check whats in the file package  before downloading or installing them. My hate for antivirus' stems from about 15 years ago when my old ma went into a computer shop to buy a cheap laptop. She brought it home along with a €90 Norton antivirus software package, said the guy in the shop insisted she needed it and couldn't use her new laptop without. Preying on folk who don't know any better, he could just as easliy told her to download AGV or Avast free or something similar. Cunt :v:

ETA: I help friends/family/clueless people to chean-up their pc's or install a new OS. Got given one by a gal once who said it's running so slow it's almost unusable. I installed Malwarebytes, ran the scan.....and it came up with over 1200 detections, and she had had an antivirus installed lol

Edited by i11
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, i11 said:

it came up with over 1200 detections, and she had had an antivirus installed lol

good point.. just cos you have antivirus installed, doesn’t mean your pc is totally immune..

if you regularly rip software, then take a few precautions.. scan the files you download and check what little extras the nullers have left behind for you. No one hacks for free :v: there’s always something hidden away..

i rarely, if ever use rips anymore.. partly cos the open source market has plenty to choose from, but mostly cos they’re pretty unreliable unless you know what you’re doing. I have my collection of software that i use on almost all my pc’s.. a couple were “aquired” through discovering the software hoard on the company server.. all nicely saved in folders with serial’s in notepads for each one lol got a complete copy of adobe cs5 premier suite fully legit.. use it everyday for photo editing.. For video editing - check out davinci resolve - you won’t believe what you get in the free version.

anyway, I’m digressing.. stick with security essentials, and watch those rips.

• Like 2