A Letter To People Without Chronic Pain

Farmer C

~tried to edit^ to avoid double-post. must have timed out or something.

i have a 5 year old geman shepherd who i have trained to pick up anything i point at on the floor and give it to me, i'm gonna see if i can get her a carers allowance as she is getting a tad pissed off with getting paid in old cow leg bones and shapes biscuits now, but you would have to get your own dog, im not lending mine out to anyone

reading backwards through the pages, strangely this is the post that broke the dam n brought me to tears. :.) n laughing too.

humor, really is the best medicine... or at least would be if it didnt shake my diaphragm making the pain worse. lol.

One thing I find really hard TBH, is folks expressing "Sympathy". Anyone else? I mean, what is one meant to do with it? And that patronising tone and smile that come with it just wind me up to the hilt. "I don't know how you do it" - well guess what, neither do I!
When I'm having a rough time, just ignore me - your sympathy (or rather, its expression) is useless, redundant. I'm knackered! Deal with it, I have to.
And don't try and do things for me unless I ask. Trust me, I will ask!

rofl.gif And as for the question (normally asked with the head tilted to one side as if addressing a kiddie in kindergarten) "and how are you today?" - don't ask it! I hurt, you god-damned fool! What are you going to do about it? Oh, nothing! Well STFU then!

yes! spot on! i think that explains why we put on a brave face most of the time. insufferable limp ineffective useless sympathy, just creates some kind of social debt that we're supposed to be thankful for. what good did it really do us? an acknowledgement or word of understanding, sure, that can be a helpful relief to be assured we're not going to have to suffer the pressures of expectations from lack of understanding, but "aw poor you" is worse than useless to us.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

What's beginning to annoy me is when people try to 'help' in a really fucking anmying/unhelpful way and you ask them not too but because I'm just a poor useless spastic they know better and ignore me so I ask again them have to snap at someone then I'm the arsehole and get lectured 'he was only trying to help you should have just said thank you and accepted it'

What part.of please let go of my wheelchair you are making it harder not helping don't you understand cockbreath.

Randomly grabbing my chair when I am trying to do something really doesn't help you fucking cretin. How would you like I if I grabbed you and dragged you up a staircase or into the middle of a road.

Also why should I say thank you for things I didn't want didn't need and specifically tried to have stopped.... should I be grateful when someone hits on me and 'just say thank you' and touches me in a way I dislike using that logic of help and sympathy because I'm 'broken'.

I'd repost the first post but.it wouldn't make any difference with most of the people I know who cause problems for me.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi All,

Newbie, just signed up and started reading the forums and bam! I hit the proverbial nail on the head because I too am here, mostly, because I suffer with chronic pain, fatigue etc. Thank you for writing/reposting this letter, it means the world to me and other sufferers; all we want is understanding.....and relief of course :P

I look forward to getting to know you awesome people!!!

• Like 2

@@DurbsGirl70

Welcome to UK420. Great first post! I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Hope you have a "good" day ~ you know what I mean ;)

I'm having a 5/10 day today ~ which is pretty damned good after the last two weeks. Yippie-di-doo-dah! High, and walking on sunshine, whoa yeah! :D

Edited by Arnold Layne
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...

Its disturbing how spot on that initial post is for folks with real chronic pain. Ive been battling with a spinal chord injury for 15 years and its been both mental and physical torture. Good luck to all those chronic pain sufferers, its not an easy battle and i hope everyone is able to get though it.

So...i have had a breakthrough in my pain, and that breakthrough is Cannabis. Not a single strain has made the difference, but the method of consumption. Lately we have been making Green Dragon Tincture using Everclear grain alcohol and bud. It has been very effective for my own pain control, as well as another friend that is in 24/7 chronic pain. Anyone wanting to know more please quote or pm me.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so pleased this forum has a section devoted to Medical Cannabis.

The government knows it's health benefits but refuses it's access to us, in favour of profit for pharmaceutical companies.

best wishes to everyone :doctor:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi!

Been away for a bit....

I always understood this post but could never relate until I was made disabled 3 years ago. Been a smoker many years...grower thanks to THIS place many years ago and gone from dumping the dealer and having cannabis for fun to using it as a distraction and a pain killer

I am on opiates, diaziapam, pregablin... and many other pain killers, meds to help my bowels from the damage the others do..I honestly have approx 10 items from chemist a month...I had to shut down a succesfl comanpany and lost my life saving till I could claim.. I am unable to work, my wife is my full time carer...3 kids and a mortgage Im somehow paying....And NO not by any criminal means.

I have been even to ill to grow, lost my mums :(

Still reading these posts have inspired me...

I was told by my surgeon when I asked a year after my opp WHY I was still in pain if his opp was successful....he told me it is relative and perhaps I just cant handle it (I used to spar ion combat sports inc muay thai & mma for 8 years)....

My sister who is in the medical trade has told my whole family because I smoke cannabis Im a drug addict by choice....NO I AM IN PAIN AND ON NHS DRUGS WHICH ARE ADDICTIVE...My dad believed her....THE TWO FACE TWAT is NOW TESTING CANCER MEDICATION FOR SAVEX....hahahahahahahaahahahahaahaha....YES IT IS WHAT IS IN JEFF DITCHFIELDS BOOK MEDICAL CANNABIS!!!

I fell through the system....they forgot to get me a physio and then he ended up WRECKING ME and saying he cant even massage scar tissue for FEAR of suing...he ended up saying nothing more he could do...

I suffered a mental breakdown

I cant explain it better than the person did BUT Im not that uptight lol!!

I got help from Wellbeing Service...supposed to give 8 wks max counciling...I got 22 weeks and I was so impressed and into it my councillor suggested I train to be a pain councillor once Im better....

I also GOT POISONED BY GP WITH SSRI's which dont mix with cannabis and made me suicidal...Im not scarfe to admit I ALMOST killed myself in a mad freenzy...I lifted over 200kg table which I couldnt lift that much before accident ..I TRULY LOST IT...but luckily didnt get sectioned and once off SSRI IM OK!!

I FINALLY WAS RECOMMENDED TO A CHIROPRACTOR...who believed in OLD school ways and is very expensive...she took half her usual fee and within 7 weeks I was better than I had been since accident...15 weeks in and finally I am nearing being able to do more exercise than walk the dog for 20 mins a day....

By xmas I should be doing swimming..cycling and core training...by next Sept In Uni to retrain and helping others....still a long road a head but there is an ending

IF ANYONE NEEDS ANY HELP, from benefit advice (I messed up and didnt get for a year), tapering off pain meds, using cannabis for pain (WHICH DOES WORK FOR SOME AS POLLINATES OPIATES)....anything to do with chronic pain just PM me.....

I will start posting again as I have personal experience on strains for pain, using extracts, vaping, CBD, anything ....ask!!!! After I was helped on another forum by others, I managed to move forward without them I may not be here so would love to give good karma and advice..

Much love all xxxx

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

excellent read and bang on  when it comes to pain ... the writer obviously knows what its like ....

i have a dmaged spine .... tried  operations,  heat treatment,  hydrotherapy ,  physio.   and a vast assortment of other things too ..... all to no avail

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I was actually discussing chronic pain with someone from Michigan this morning. In that state, you can actually get a prescription for medical marijuana if you have chronic pain. He said he had suffered from Post-Concussion Syndrome (PSC) from an auto accident but PSC is not covered as a qualifying condition. But since the pain relaying to the concussion was going on its second month (and he had doctor's verification that he had suffered a concussion), he was able to get a prescription for medical marijuana. Chronic pain as a qualifying condition seems to be a decent umbrella in some areas. I doubt that PSC raises enough attention to ever be considered a qualifier on its own but I guess the NFL (American football) are drawing some attention to it. 

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Nor chronic pain all the time here, but enough to understand and thank the OP.

Sucks to have your medicine criminalised but lets hope that changes one day.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Great read from @Farmer C .

Can totally relate, a few years ago I was totally healthy (ignorance is bliss) and now after several operations classed as Disabled.

Like many in the post have been on all the Pharma meds such as tramodol, oxycontine/ Oxy norm, amatriptiline, gabapentin and all of them are addictive whilst not providing any pain relief.

I am very lucky in that I started vaping 3 months ago and get decent pain relief.

It was all thanks to this community and others like it that I know have the knowledge to start helping myself.

So thank you everyone.

• Like 2