A Letter To People Without Chronic Pain

Farmer C

What a great post like others have said before me it says exactly what I think/feel on a daily basis, have posted it on my face book maybe the members of my family who tell me I am lazy etc will read it and stop to consider before saying their usual hurtful things, although I won't hold my breath for that to happen anytime soon.

Edited by Fallen-Angel

One thing I find really hard TBH, is folks expressing "Sympathy". Anyone else? I mean, what is one meant to do with it? And that patronising tone and smile that come with it just wind me up to the hilt. "I don't know how you do it" - well guess what, neither do I!

When I'm having a rough time, just ignore me - your sympathy (or rather, its expression) is useless, redundant. I'm knackered! Deal with it, I have to.

And don't try and do things for me unless I ask. Trust me, I will ask!

:B): And as for the question (normally asked with the head tilted to one side as if addressing a kiddie in kindergarten) "and how are you today?" - don't ask it! I hurt, you god-damned fool! What are you going to do about it? Oh, nothing! Well STFU then!

lol

And chronic does not equal acute lol :wink:

have posted it on my face book maybe the members of my family who tell me I am lazy etc will read it and stop to consider before saying their usual hurtful things, although I won't hold my breath for that to happen anytime soon.

What a great idea!

I have a few acquaintances who could do to read it ;)

Ta!

• Like 1

That letter's mint, Mintball.

It clarified a lot of things in the mind of my partner too, and gave expression to the frustration I feel when everyone and his dog keeps recommending what I should do to 'get cured' from incurable coeliac disease.

I've offended people for not taking up their well-intentioned, but stupid suggestions that I try reiki, acupuncture or Hopi ear-candling. A former friend even suggested the nasty Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh (Osho) cult as a cure. A body-builder mate spent years trying to convince me that body-building amino acids would cure me by'strengthening my peptide chain'.

Then there are those who think 'coeliac disease - hmm, that's about food isn't it?' and they recommend their favourite quacky 'nutritionist'. They are ignorant of the fact that someone who is medically qualified to comment about nutrition is called a 'dietician'. One 'friend' tried to get me down to the 'Institute of Optimum Nutrition'; another quack-shop, this time run by frequent visitor to daytime TV, the 'everything's a pound' nutritionist, and dangerous charlatan Patrick Holford. That bloke believes insane nonsense like AIDS can be cured with vitamin C.

It just annoys the hell out of me to find that my friends are not only amateur doctors, but self-appointed experts in gastro-enterology. My patience wears thin, and in spite of my restraint, once in a while I snap at someone. My tact dissolves when I hear something as insulting as this - I actually heard this a few weeks back from a fluffy-brained newage woo-woo:

"Well if you can't be bothered to at least try feng shui, you can hardly complain about the pain and nausea you'll suffer as a consequence of not trying it."

Edited by Eddiesilence

Glad you liked it Eddie. I am so glad I found this letter. Seems like it could help or provide a bit of help to anyone who needs to express their chronic pain issues to someone else.

Whoever wrote it certainly has a good way with words. A way with words that I certainly dont have when in pain, its just so accurate!

A brilliant piece of writing, certainly goes along way to showing me some small idea of what its like to live with chronic pain.

One thing I find really hard TBH, is folks expressing "Sympathy". Anyone else? I mean, what is one meant to do with it? And that patronising tone and smile that come with it just wind me up to the hilt. "I don't know how you do it" - well guess what, neither do I!

When I'm having a rough time, just ignore me - your sympathy (or rather, its expression) is useless, redundant. I'm knackered! Deal with it, I have to.

And don't try and do things for me unless I ask. Trust me, I will ask!

I was talking to Eddie Silence about this exact thing the other day.The thing is if you're not really up with the precise medical condition of someone what else do you say? I know its a generic question but we humans sometimes find it hard to say anything other than the most obvious thing,especially when we are dealing with something like another persons helath. I've met a few folks with serious health probs and often genuinely do wonder " How do you cope ? " because its so alien to someone with a working body...I am however trying to bite my lip and not splurt it out.When I think it though its not sympathetically but empathetically, more putting myself into your shoes and wondering how I'd deal with it ( not at all well I expect ) . I can totally see though how frikking annoying that would be,especially after the 100th time.

And Eddie, just a little heads up, you need to concentrate a little harder on your feng shui, you're just not trying enough, for goodness sake do you ever want to get better or not ? :P

Thanks mintball, some of those so called atos doctors should have a read of this.

I thought feng shui was movin your furniture round.

a.c.

And Eddie, just a little heads up, you need to concentrate a little harder on your feng shui, you're just not trying enough, for goodness sake do you ever want to get better or not ? :yep:

D'you know Withnail, that's the best advice I've ever had. Half an hour ago, I turned all the ornamental elephants in my flat to face the door, and put a 'water feature' in the front room (clarification: I got the dog to start pissing in the corner).

As a result my health seems to have fully returned I feel so fantastic that I've just had a game of footie. Now I'm preparing for an hour of British bulldog.

Hey everyone, it's true: feng shui cures everything, and probably even AIDS.

• Like 1

:yep:

I feel the same way, Eddie, about folks touting cannabis as a cure-all. Folks who tell me to chuck all my pills away and just stick to Skunk. Aaarghhh! And when I tell them it doesn't work, oh brother ... Oh, well obviously I'm addicted to my analgesics and in denial. You can't win with some folks! :yahoo:

:)

I feel the same way, Eddie, about folks touting cannabis as a cure-all. Folks who tell me to chuck all my pills away and just stick to Skunk. Aaarghhh! And when I tell them it doesn't work, oh brother ... Oh, well obviously I'm addicted to my analgesics and in denial. You can't win with some folks! :yep:

I agree Arnold, yes I use cannabis for pain relief and to help with sleep and to ease the spasms I have but I use in addition to my morphine and assorted other meds as it really is not 100% on it's own, I know some people do get 100% relief from cannabis but I am not one of them.

Pseudo Experts always know what's best for us, but haven't a clue in reality.

Oh your walking today with faked surprise on their face, yes, I say, but you are still opinionated.

Excellence!

do any of you have any non-canna related relief techniques u wudnt mind sharing?

i dont suffer from physical pain, though i have family and friends who do.

when their tears start to well up and their faces start to show signs of suffering i often feel helpless.

offers of a massage or a hot bath or duvet & cuppa are often 'too little, too late?'

i love that the forum is open, and the topic is sharing.

ef.

sorry.