For Sr

oldtimer1

I would think about making a big perlite bean bag mate...

Now THAT'S an idea. However as I am getting very good (not great) results with my present mix, I think I'll stick with the perilite for now. Once it is out then I'll try the coir.

• 4 months later...
I would think about making a big perlite bean bag mate...

Now THAT'S an idea. However as I am getting very good (not great) results with my present mix, I think I'll stick with the perilite for now. Once it is out then I'll try the coir.

Thats a terrible idea, supprised nobody mentioned it. Perlite will irritate your lungs.

I'm pretty sure they dont use perlite in bean bags lol

I always wet perlite in the bag before using it (on plants) to avoid the possibility of inhaling little shards of perlite. And I wear a scarf over my mouth and nose if possible.

:unsure:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I'd argue you'd get best results from a wet/dry cycle in a medium with relatively poor aeration, as the dry stage is the only point when free gaseous exchange can take place. I think a medium with a lot of air can take a constant flow of moisture and CAN allow the fastest plant growth, providing there are no checks in watering.

So..More drainage = Potentially faster growth, providing watering is well provided.

I'd still re-pot once or twice for a decent sized plant though, incorporating more loam at each stage.

B)

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

glad i just read this, some great info there ot1 and felix.

ive only just started using them little coco pots for my cuttings and i love them. will be investing in some coir blocks to add to my peat based compost very soon and out with the perlite.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Wee add on.

It's been a heck of a ride since I made the posts above. :doh: But I no longer use perilite. :yahoo: Coir and compost all the way now.

Many thanks to OT1 and Comrade felix for the most excellent advice! :notworthy:

• Like 1