For Sr

oldtimer1

i went to my local garden center and asked about inoculants ,i explained they were a kind of bactirea that is added to compost that help nutes to be absorbed more easily ,,i got a very srange look from the gardener bloke and was told iv never heard of it,,,,,,,,,,,does any one know wear i can get some and its name ,,,,chears :spliff:

Then your local man should go back to college! Many garden centres are now selling various innoculants.

My local Garden Centre stocks "Rootgrow", an innoculant mainly aimed at rose growers, but of more widespread use too. It works fine for me, but not quite as visibly so as "Soil Secrets". But SS is like hens teeth when it comes to obtaining it. There are various other brands knocking about (but I'm too blasted to recall any names :guitar: :wink: ).

I aso believe that in a season or two there will be a multi-choice of innoculants aimed at cannabis growers. The testers are at work already I gather.

Whcih reminds me... my ladies need a boost today....

• Like 1

considering this is meant to be the most informative and friendly site on the web

some names of innoculents would be nice

and after 10 thousand posts or so im sure it cant be that hard to remember especially as u r about to use some

pft

buddinbuddah

peace

considering this is meant to be the most informative and friendly site on the web

and after 10 thousand posts or so im sure it cant be that hard to remember especially as u r about to use some

pft

Keep ya knickers on & drop the pfftt, & take the time to read through this thread!

Edited by Bish
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
Where the myth about needing 30 to 70% perlite in compost an an ideal medium for growing cannabis came from:-

Yet we still see people adding large amounts of inert perlite and vermiculite to compost.

lol

Uhoh....

err uhhh wellll......

uh no way around this. I'm an american grower and I add lots (?) of large grain perilite (7 gallons mulch like compost, 7 gallons loamy like sandy soil mix, 5 gallons of the perilite, 1 gallon earth worms castings, 1 gallon bat guano (N & P) and some minerals).

Am I adding too much perilite? I tumble this mix then put in pots, water, let sit a few minutes, stir well, water again, repot (I use cuttings exclusively)

Due to extensive research on this site I'm thinking about getting a larger compost tumbler to allow my mix to soak and tumble for a mininum of two weeks.

am I on the right track? Keep in mind I am already doing pretty well but do see room for improvement.

thanks everyone for educating this yank! lol

:wink: great bit of info that! i think you`ll be fine with your perlite just leave it out next time

@Randalizer: Why would you want to tumble your mixture for so long?

edit: room for improvement of your compost? Well, some maerl, basalt meal, humic acid, kelp, fungi and bacteria are kinda nice when you grow organic. Maybe a bit of bone meal to compensate the N and P?

Bad wording on my part, my apologies. I meant to say that the mix would sit in the large tumbler (mostly it's a storage bin) moist for two weeks. Occasionally getting a tumble.

The vision was to take from the large tumbler what I needed to pot with and use the smaller (present) tumbler to keep mixing new batches which then get thrown in the large tumbler periodically (weekly).

I do use everything you mentioned above (some just added today) except for basalt and maerl.

I'm also thought to start a compost pile and attached worm bin (worm bin above compost pile) since I have a large cement box in my back patio area that is overgrown with weeds.

i think you`ll be fine with your perlite just leave it out next time

uhhhh ~long stupid look, drool dribbling out~

in MY mix?!? No perilite?!? lol

cheers everyone! :wink:

Edited by Randalizer

I'll get back to you on the compost pit and the tumbler I want to get. I'm so busy with work, gardening research (you folks are caving me head in! :D ) and actual gardening that I'm having a hard time keeping up. I'm also installing an irrigation system and plan to expand my operations (3 flower trays instead of two and moving the veg cabinet). All of this takes much planning as well.

I think you`ll be fine with your perlite just leave it out next time

I'm curious about this. I thought perilite helped bring oxygen into the soil by allowing good drainage. Would my mix bring in enough oxygen on it's own w/out the perilite?

Again, my deepest and most humble appreciation is offered for all the exquisite advice here! :spliff:

Edited by Randalizer

Guest Tony 2th

i'm immersing cuttings in trychoderma before i plant and then Tarantula and Pirhana in conjunction with Voodoo Juice for the first 3 weeks in 12/12.

there you go, some names.

ps if you google rootgrow it'll tell you where you can buy it locally.

Edited by Tony 2th

I'm curious about this. I thought perilite helped bring oxygen into the soil by allowing good drainage. Would my mix bring in enough oxygen on it's own w/out the perilite?

Again, my deepest and most humble appreciation is offered for all the exquisite advice here! :ouch:

Something you may want to try next time instead of perlite is coir or coco fibre. So long as the sea salt has been washed out from the processing it's great, coir is hydrophylic so actually draws water along the fibres. This is a real benefit when mixed with peat to make a compost/soil as peat is hydrophobic when it gets dry and can be problematic getting the whole rootball wet again when it's dried out, not so much of a problem if coir is added to the mix. Some coir also comes with a natural Trichoderma species which can help protect the plants roots. Coir also retains more air than perlite when it's totally waterlogged so won't encourage anaerobic conditions if you accidentally overwater. Due to coir's open porous structure it actually makes a better home than perlite for micro organisms so encourages a healthier micro herd than perlite.

Finally coir doesn't produce a harmful potentially irritating dust when dry and handled

• Like 2

excellent advice as always. Thank you Felix! :ouch:

Now I just have to burn through the three large sacks of perilite! :ouch:

Edited by Randalizer

Now I just have to burn through the three large sacks of perilite! :ouch:

I would think about making a big perlite bean bag mate...

Hi felix

What percentage of coir would you recommend using with your compost..?

Hi Madgiz,

This season I've mostly been growing in........................

3 parts Moorland Gold

2 parts Lakeland Gold

3 parts Fertile Fibre

With added minerals.

Right now I'm experimenting with

3 parts MG

2 parts LG

2 parts Kettering loam (which probably makes the compost non organic)

3 or 4 parts Fertile Fibre (depending how I'm feeling)

Dry coir blocks and bricks are the cheapest way of buying coir and as it's an almost inert potting mixture it's worth rehydrating with some biohumates (RootFood from Rootgrow) and seaweed extract to give a little body to it. Makes an excellent material for rooting cuttings as it rarely goes anaerobic.

• Like 2