Outdoor soil mix

Davey

Doin a gg next year in a pine tree plantation th ground is mossy with a peat soil.

my plan is to dig some out about a foot or so and mix in some multi purpose compost the plots going to be aboot 2m-5m.

I want to make it as low matainance as pos so im wanting to mix nutes into th soil im not fussed aboot it beeing organic what im looking for is everything i need in slow release pellets or something like that just so i dont have to go feed it all the time.

Also planing on useing lime to increase th ph

Can anyone give me some suggestions?

And also if u could tell me anything els i should put in the soil.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Doin a gg next year in a pine tree plantation th ground is mossy with a peat soil.

my plan is to dig some out about a foot or so and mix in some multi purpose compost the plots going to be aboot 2m-5m.

I want to make it as low matainance as pos so im wanting to mix nutes into th soil im not fussed aboot it beeing organic what im looking for is everything i need in slow release pellets or something like that just so i dont have to go feed it all the time.

Cheers.

I know you said you don't care about organics, but botanicare has organic slow release pellets called organicare pure....they work realley well, i add a bit of shrimp compost and water with additives, but I put them to the test with just the pellets, and the results were quite impressive. They are easy to use, and cheap...hope that helps...

Cheers.

Mate go organic no point poisoning the soil with inorganic ferts if you plan to use the spot for years you will be thanking me. Your growing outdoors not in a tent keep it organic.

Lime now, if you on budget just get chicken pellets from local garden centre apply march/early April.

EF

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Just a quick question, if you have soil that nettles grow in every year do you have to make any amendments to the soil? Like mixing with mp compost or adding fish,blood and bone.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

I'm new to outdoors and have found a place amungst bramble, I have a compost with a ph of 7 and plan on putting a small layer of bat quana at the bottom of a 1ft square hole for when the roots have fully grown out the hole, and maybe add some bio bizz organics grow/bloom and heaven along the way. Seems a hole lot more graft operating outdoors but exciting at the same time

• 3 weeks later...

be sure to mix that bat shite m8, a layer will burn ya babies. mix it in with compo and native soil bud. I add potash aswell but that's just me m8, each to our own. whatever m8 keep at it. you'll find a system that works for you and your happy with and others worth working on. happy growing bud

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that OT1, the main problem i'm facing (why i'm not growing indoors) is that I live my my ever vigilent parents so borrowing the current gardening equipment is out of the question.

So I have to buy my own and transport it to the site, which isnt too difficult in itself but how dodgey does it look, hefting a garden fork over walls ;)

Hmm.. definatly needs thinking about!

How much do garden forks cost these days ;)

--- Edit To Add ---

Also, I must get a pH kit tomorrow. What do you mean by "organic matter"? I have chickens, but as stated thats not good. There are cows living in the field next to me... But that would be faaar too blatently weird and arrouse parent's suspicions.

its as dodgey as you make it look mate, i took my fork in my hand and sheers in my bag today and walked along canal path to my spot passed a few people on the path... for all they care your just going to do some gardening.. :v:

Edited by LemonLoverGL

• 10 months later...

Hi, i've always grown outdoors using Down to Earth products that you can buy via amazon. Azomite, blood meal, bone meal, kelp meal, Bat guano, potash, epsom salts, doloite lime, rock phosphate, humic acid worm castings, perlite and of course organic compost, don't even ph, just water.......i am lucky enough to collect water from a natural spring. Water/prune and walk away :yahoo:

I recommend googling organic soil mix, specifically subcool's super soil and researching each component to educate yourself, that's how i did it works wonders! You can add or remove elements to suit you. Don't forget to let your soil mix settle for 30 days prior to potting as its HOT and would burn established veg plants if used without allowing to break down. Plan before you plant :v:

Edited by BiologicalBizzness
  • Like 3

Dave I have grown on heavy clay soil for more years than you want to know.

My advise is this.

Do not dig holes and try and enrich the soil within it or sink bottomless pots, both methods act like sumps and the enriched soil will go sour.

The best way to deal with clay top soil is to cultivate a big area by digging properly. Like this I have had plants with root systems 3 to 5 ft in diameter on each plant.

Clay soil in naturally rich in all nutrients so does not really need base fertilisers. Do not bother digging anything in, if the soil is acid, top dress with dolomite lime. Once the plants are growing mulch the whole area with as much organic matter as you can.

So get a fork out and turn the whole area over to cultivate the soil. Then your plants will have no restrictions and they can spread their roots as far as they like.

One absolute NO NO is any chicken manure type products, things like Rooster is nearly as good as a weed killer.

Hope this helps.

. @@Gurilla87
  • Like 1

see that we give the poo a miss bit of bonemeal and fbb wont harm it if we do it good 4weeks before plant out

i also have some perlite we will take down next trip

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use expanded lava pellets for drainage at the bottom and coir bricks as a medium light weight easy to carry and some blood n bone n water crystals and some mychrozzi fungi I did use the great white shark stuff but was expensive so have switched to b n q s own stuff much cheaper