Outdoor soil mix

Davey

yh defo mate couple of light feeds n ul be booming i jus checked my girls 2nd nite out on there own lol n theyve gt bigger already il get sum pics tonite

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I always wounder when i'm peeling potatoes "hmmm could i use this for my soil plot" can anyone confirm this?

yes i think thats a good idea! wont do any harm i dont think.

im saving teabags, fruit skins, vegtable skins, leftover fish horse manure cow manure and leaves and some dead wood, letting it compost for about 3-4months hey presto

I always wounder when i'm peeling potatoes "hmmm could i use this for my soil plot" can anyone confirm this?

maybe check this out if you're intrested

My link

maybe check this out if you're intrested

My link

I have done some research since i asked about the potato peelings, and there are some negatives about potato peelings i never really considered. It can be used for compost, but it can also be problematic.

The skin itself can grow and spread (potatoes) throughout the soil, using up nutes rather than providing them.

Thanks for the link tho bob, some interesting items on there. :yinyang:

Edited by Pierresenberg

• 1 month later...

I am on my second GG this year and at one of the plots I have turned over soil for a bed, last year I just did individual holes but this year I got a mattock so I decided to try a bed.

I used gathered fallen tree branches and sectioned off an area about 10ft x 3.5ft, I used fairly big old branches from a birch to try and get a raised bed effect and turned the soil over to about 1.5ft deep.

I was thinking of planting 24 plants there, with the expectations of half being male and/or damaged by slugs. Is this a good idea, or would anyone suggest more/less? I am not bothered about getting huge beastly ladies, I am going for highest yeild per sq. meter rather than yeild per plant.

Also I am not sure how much fertiliser would be best, just kinda winged it last year. The soil looks fairly decent so I was gonna keep it all there and add some coir blocks to bulk it up to the raised level. I have already dug in 3kg Growmore and 2kg Bonemeal. Preferably I only wanted to come back once at the end of July to add potash after plant out. Will this be enough for the 12ish girls or should I throw in some chicken pellets or anything else?

Cheers for reading guys :skin_up:

• 1 month later...

How can it be perfect in every way with clay soil? perhaps you should consider another site,what I generally do is find a patch where the nettles and brambles are growing profusely, my rule is if they like it so will the ladies, burrow/tunnel your way in with shears clear a patch in the center turn in a couple or three multi compost bags and job done,I plant them in pairs about 4ft apart,10 to a patch and use green string and tent pegs to bend them towards each other and train them down....job done.

• Like 1

Guest Fractalhead25

I am on my second GG this year and at one of the plots I have turned over soil for a bed, last year I just did individual holes but this year I got a mattock so I decided to try a bed.

I used gathered fallen tree branches and sectioned off an area about 10ft x 3.5ft, I used fairly big old branches from a birch to try and get a raised bed effect and turned the soil over to about 1.5ft deep.

I was thinking of planting 24 plants there, with the expectations of half being male and/or damaged by slugs. Is this a good idea, or would anyone suggest more/less? I am not bothered about getting huge beastly ladies, I am going for highest yeild per sq. meter rather than yeild per plant.

Also I am not sure how much fertiliser would be best, just kinda winged it last year. The soil looks fairly decent so I was gonna keep it all there and add some coir blocks to bulk it up to the raised level. I have already dug in 3kg Growmore and 2kg Bonemeal. Preferably I only wanted to come back once at the end of July to add potash after plant out. Will this be enough for the 12ish girls or should I throw in some chicken pellets or anything else?

Cheers for reading guys :skin_up:

Hi Seand, I have a plot that was just holes last season that I also want to upgrade to a similar sized bed. This is 1st proper go of using mainly regular seeds. SO I'm mulling over the same issues your having.

Your plot is 1m x 3m (10ft x 3.5ft)yes?

So I think you'd want no more than 3 bushy ladies in there.

I think more like 10-12 seeds, inc casualties would probably be enough if your slug protection is decent and size of plant out. 6 males, 2 for the slugs, would leave you four ladies, which from what i read on here would be max for that space.

Anyway just my 2p worth mate, trying to suss it out here too.

If you don't top your plants so they don't bush out I imagine you could fit more in, but hten again you'll probably get more product of 3 bushy phat girls!

Frac.

• Like 1

Hi I'm new to growing and I would like some advice on soil mixes for a gg I was thinking of an organic mix of peat, native soil, compost and rotten sheep manure would this be a good grow medium ? Thanks from lat 53 :)

Teabags? Did someone say teabags in compost?

Yeah, but don't overdo them as they can be acidic.

Same with coffee grounds - although they make a killer slug deterrent I find.

They just don't like getting caught up in all that dried Colombian.

Who would!

:skin_up:

I grow a lot of veg in my garden and I think the trick with composting is variety and time. Mixing up lots of different stuff is good (no great dollops of grass cuttings please) - but no citrus, cooked anything or meat of any kind*. you can even shred your newspapers into it, in moderation of course. Peelings, eggshells, husks, cores, leaves, most weeds if you're brave, trimmings etc. if it's working it should be warm in winter. mixing some garden soil in with the mix and watering it all occasionally helps accelerate the rotting down process. Finished product should be like yer grannies Sunday sponge cake. Friable, rich and yummy in a weird way (to me) ...which can take two years for the really good stuff, the stuff that smells sweet.

:stoned:

*attracts all the wrong kind of wildlife.

Edited by Baked_Grit
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have experience growing in a peat/bog forest?

Need a few tips, I would prefer to plant in the ground and use the peat rather than the hassle of pots and soil mix

I was going to use 30% perlite with the peat and

organic slow release pellets, blood fish and bone meal, worm castings and garden lime. then bat guano on top in flower. Not sure what quantities of these yet. Advise appreciated

In individual 10 litre or so plots guarded by chicken wire and stripped copper wires around stems maybe a few alcohol traps for slugs too.

Seedlings will be on a south facing windowsill for a month before being tempered then put out in the wild.

Mate, you're better off starting a thread in the forum below. The stickied threads are more reference material. :)

As I'm here anyway, it sounds like a bad spot. I grew in a similar area my first year. Too wet. Too acidic. You'll need tubes or something.

Good luck.

Hey Bud ! Definitely start a thread. My entire grow area is and always has been red clay dirt. I've been growing since the '80s. I have a lot of answers. Start a thread. I think everyone will benefit. Don't mound up your soil it will dry out too fast. Start a thread...good title helps ......

• 2 weeks later...