Outdoor soil mix

Davey

I wouldn't, to be honest, they are pretty potent, and when I gave them too much the soil went rancid.

you could always add some blood fish and bone (handful, mixed in ) and some phospherous (half a handful)  if you like.

dolomite lime doesn't go amiss either, but you could go on and on. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 10/03/2019 at 3:48 PM, badbillybob said:

I wouldn't, to be honest, they are pretty potent, and when I gave them too much the soil went rancid.

you could always add some blood fish and bone (handful, mixed in ) and some phospherous (half a handful)  if you like.

dolomite lime doesn't go amiss either, but you could go on and on. 

dont agree two small handfuls and a sprinkle of fbb gives me great results.

• Like 1

don't agree, but good for you,

im just going off my own experiences

Edited by badbillybob

• 3 months later...

Only grown twice but i treat plants exactly the same as i would do for my show tomatoes (organic).Best quality potting compost amended with fbb Less is better.then constant attention with regular misting of calcified seaweed (maxicrop).I'm lucky regards attention to plants as land is private with no access to prying eyes.Take my hat of to you gorilla growers.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 6/1/2003 at 1:03 PM, oldtimer1 said:

Dave I have grown on heavy clay soil for more years than you want to know.

My advise is this.

Do not dig holes and try and enrich the soil within it or sink bottomless pots, both methods act like sumps and the enriched soil will go sour.

The best way to deal with clay top soil is to cultivate a big area by digging properly. Like this I have had plants with root systems 3 to 5 ft in diameter on each plant.

Clay soil in naturally rich in all nutrients so does not really need base fertilisers. Do not bother digging anything in, if the soil is acid, top dress with dolomite lime. Once the plants are growing mulch the whole area with as much organic matter as you can.

So get a fork out and turn the whole area over to cultivate the soil. Then your plants will have no restrictions and they can spread their roots as far as they like.

One absolute NO NO is any chicken manure type products, things like Rooster is nearly as good as a weed killer.

Hope this helps.

I've made 1 exception to the rule. I can legally grow 6 plants in veg and 6 in bloom.  

I have a grow box that is 12 feet x 10 feet. 1/2 is in asparagus that tends to be a companion plant as it has no known enemies. In the other half of the box I dug 2 holes 3 feet across to yard level. I put two inches of course gravel in each as well as a 12 inch wide path to the edge of box. That allows for drainage and eliminates any standing water. For my other four, I'll be using 4-30 gallon grow above ground.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey all

Been awhile since last posted i did manage to make a harvest but fucked the cure/drying so ended up with some low budget and some decent bud but a very low ratio of.good to bad :wallbash:

anyway onto the question I have recent been prepping a new spot but once again it is heavy clay back breaking to dig and impossible to work with in the rain (basically the back door to hell) anyway I went on this amazin thread and found some useful info and went out to buy some clay fixing shit from buttbase ended up with vitax clay breaker and a bottle of maxicrop seaweed plant growth stimulant which I will be using for everything now lol but yeah anyone used that clay breaker before? If so what was your best approach with it?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

hi folks 1st time poster here. I've currently found my 2nd grow site, its on a south facing hil, perfect place with all day sunshine. I've started to a dig and amend the soil. the soil is more like a peat moss. surely if i add alot of ingredient's like epson salts bone meal perlite ie the soil will be good to grow in?

18 hours ago, Niguerillagrower said:

hi folks 1st time poster here. I've currently found my 2nd grow site, its on a south facing hil, perfect place with all day sunshine. I've started to a dig and amend the soil. the soil is more like a peat moss. surely if i add alot of ingredient's like epson salts bone meal perlite ie the soil will be good to grow in?

Hi and welcome.

Sounds like the soil maybe perfectly fine and you won’t need to add anything at all. If you post a picture or two of the soil you’ll get a few more peeps chipping in with their thoughts :yep:

• Like 1

On 08/06/2020 at 10:09 AM, Topdeck said:

Hi and welcome.

Sounds like the soil maybe perfectly fine and you won’t need to add anything at all. If you post a picture or two of the soil you’ll get a few more peeps chipping in with their thoughts :yep:

My phone is a brick atm with a broken camera, so wont be able to post pics untill i get a upgrade. Tho i have been busy working on the soil, i now have a lovely fluffy mixture that i will be growing in. i plan to plant 10/15 plants into this location. hopefully have everything in the ground for june the 20th. gives me 6/7 weeks of veg

thanks for the comment and happy growing 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

A gorilla from a congo reserve, we do not carry a tree into the forest. At the beginning of my career I also carried land for spotting. If we have compacted, clayey, hardly permeable land, we add sand, sawdust, leaves, dried branches, manure, anything that can loosen the soil to be aerated. I make hills of about 150-200 litres of soil on wetland. I put up a bucket of about 30 litres, sprinkle the spotted soil around it, take out the bucket and pour the mixture I mentioned above there. We do not forget about the Dolomite.

large.CIMG2321.JPGlarge.CIMG2322.JPGlarge.CIMG2323.JPGlarge.CIMG2327.JPGlarge.CIMG2332.JPGlarge.CIMG2331.JPGlarge.CIMG2333.JPGlarge.her18.JPG

• Like 17

• 3 months later...

Alright guys looking for some advice on plot prep nothing to complicated as the ground is already nice and soft but I’m just not sure what ratio of compost and what ferts to use per 25 - 30 litres hole, thanks people 

• 2 years later...
On 27/09/2018 at 7:49 PM, Shots101 said:

Just doing some general gardening reading regarding clay soil, I’ve not seen anyone mention Gypsum in this thread, can it be used? All I can find is that it helps break up the clay and it is calcium sulphate but doesn’t affect Ph. Any thoughts on this?

Snap, ideally end of season ready for next job, less is more

• 8 months later...