Know Your Pests

bart

• 6 months later...

No mention of springtails here so thought I would chip in as I had some on one of my plants coco surface, they were only small and are supossed to be beneficial???? A bugs a bug in my book.
Never had them before, first time in coco and thought I would give it a go I'm normally a dwc man. I remember now why I switched years ago, No Dirt, No bugs, No stuff to buy from the hydro shop to combat pests.....simples.
They went up the hoover I will see that gets rid first off if not then I may even cull the plant instead of fighting a war, it will be a lot easier in the long run and cheaper, I've got a clone of her so I will win either way.

springtails

springtails

sprintails

• 1 month later...

Thanks, I've just realised that some cuttings I was given have thrips (not spider mite as I assumed)... just another reason not to ever buy cuttings and just do your own!

• 1 year later...

Great guide! I have just eradicated thrips! (I hope) using a bottle of Provado Ultimate Bug Killer. Good stuff I think, time will tell :/

• Like 1

i have i small eggs turning up on the stems of the legs of my plants. some are yellow some are res some are see through i gather different ages. picking them off has been a nightmare. anyone know what these are? just some thoughts. i may try to upload a pic. iv woken up this morning like eggs, but no bugs. so hmmm....

• 1 month later...

any ideas what this is ?

IMG 1843

can't make my mind up...

actually caught this & got the 100x scope out ... the little fucker just sat & smiled for the camera

Edited by JTR

• 3 months later...

I just thought I'd mention a product Ive come across that can be used against gnats and its called Gnat Nix. Its pulverised glass and is non toxic and you just add a layer on top of your medium. 

Also with it being non clogging you can either scrape it off before you pot on or just pot on with it still there

Another little tip for pot growers who suffer with gnats frequently is to use spreader mat in your pots to make it harder the buggers getting in through the drain holes. Some pots have those large slits up the side at the bottom so you could even tape those up too. I use bits of yellow sticky traps to cover mine so any gnats that want to under the pot eventually have a walk up and get stuck :)

Owd 

Edited by Owderb
  • Like 3

Thanx for the tips @Owderb

Used a few topping but never seen this one.. and the idea for plugging the bottom holes is genius!

Another thing added to tomorrow's shopping list now! lol 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Heads up after good reports on a product from the Eco guys called Gnattack. It apparently messes with the larvae's insides which stops it being able to feed :)

Owd

• Like 3

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Cockchafer grubs.  I was replacing a dead (now I know why) geranium in a patio pot and changing most of the compost when I came across these horrible things - as you can see, big fat white grubs with a set of little legs at the head end.  About 18 in a ~4L terracotta pot outside.  It was a fairly cool day a few months ago and they were fairly snoozy at first, but by the time I had found all of them they had warmed in the sun and were very, and horribly active, keen to get out of the light (pity I can't post the video).  Thinking they might be an interesting moth or something and not wanting to kill them if so, I filmed them and put them in the compost bin before looking online.  Discovered that they are cockchafer grubs - I have seen one adult cockchafer in the last few years; an exotic looking thing, quite attractive, though not if its babies have devoured the roots of your plants I suppose.  Looking at the Wikipedia page, they used to be a major agricultural pest and in the Middle Ages were even put on trial and ordered to leave the region (they didn't comply)! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockchafer

large.5d4e8289a3174_Cockchafergrubs-Copy.png

• 1 month later...
On 01/10/2019 at 8:27 AM, Hazy.g said:

Hi when I click the link it didn’t work , what are these pests called again. ?

Links not not working any help ?

• 4 weeks later...