Total Lumens per Light

MadagascarX

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

morning folks

I'm just looking through site catching up and refreshing my memory,after a break from growing(I was getting some work done to house)I've now set up my tent in spare room,I have a 5'wx6'hx2'w tent with the 604nft system with 2 400w light system I have a 6'ruck extraction and passive intake I have 2x 6' clip on fans for movement and growing 4 chronic my question is after reading this thread should I use 1 mhs and 1 hps during the 12/12.

Thanks for any info.

Also is there any ballast out there that can run two lights?

So it costs 56 p to run one hps for 12 hours? And stupid people use leds to save money? lol tats cheaper than a can of coke a day

Yes us stupid people that use LEDs do save when you looking at the price to run a 600w from 10 years ago pmsl.

Ps I have both hps and led systems and it is much cheaper to run led over hps but led lie a 600w led is only 320/360w pull

Edited by ak47slim

morning folks

I'm just looking through site catching up and refreshing my memory,after a break from growing(I was getting some work done to house)I've now set up my tent in spare room,I have a 5'wx6'hx2'w tent with the 604nft system with 2 400w light system I have a 6'ruck extraction and passive intake I have 2x 6' clip on fans for movement and growing 4 chronic my question is after reading this thread should I use 1 mhs and 1 hps during the 12/12.

Thanks for any info.

Also is there any ballast out there that can run two lights?

Hi mate, lumatek do a dual ballast, but from the few uk suppliers I have found, they seem a fair bit more expensive than just getting two individual ballasts.

For your lighting question, two HPS will likely yield more than an HPS/MH combo, although it is generally believed that adding some MH will give you more psychoactive buds. I'm not sure whether this is true myself, maving never used anything other than bog-standard red spec HPS lights.

Thanks for that nocturnal :smoke:

I've got a spare 200 invro blue, was thinking of just hanging this between my two hps, do you think this would be worth doing. :B):

On reading another thread, seems this idea to be of no benefit to the grow :wallbash:

Edited by beebs

• 2 weeks later...

I was told that the ballast will also cost additional electricity.

the cheaper the ballast , the more power it will generally consume.

A very bad ballast , inteded for 400 watt hps can cost you up to 250 watts of power ( so i was told by experienced growers).

any comment on this guys?

:yahoo:

this has just reminded me of something...as an electrician I have seen on a couple of occasions the control gear go very wrong in kitchen fluorescent light fittings. I remember once getting a call out where the 5A lighting fuse kept blowing..I isolated all the circuits and all the light fittings and the kitchen fluro was blowing the fuse when I put a clamp meter across it it was drawing 9 amps! this is (240volts x 9A) 2160 Watts! This fault had come about since they had loft insulation put in the day before of which increased the cable resistance and pushed the load up just enough to blow the fuse...I reckon it had been like this for years but just on the threshold of taking out the fuse

I bet a lot of HD ballasts in grow setups have similar problems.......

In college they tell you to put in a 1.8 correction factor when doing lighting counts i.e 600W lamp x 1.8 = 1080W this 1.8 factor goes well on the side of safety however

Edited by MrLarge
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

i'm quite new to all this, only done one indoor grow and I used a single CFL blue 6400K 125w fluro for veg then a Sunmaster Super HPS 95000 Lumen 600w for flowering

coming to the end of veg cycle in the next few days and thinking of using a CFL Red 2700K 200w fluro for flowering this time

I've read from quite a few growers that red fluro can give good yields, with a more distributed light and of course much less heat which I found to be a problem last time; balancing distance from the plants with the heat from the HPS

any opinions on this?

• 7 months later...

This sticky seems a bit pointless these days. We've long since known that lumens are an irrelevant measure of light for photosynthesis. We should instead have a version listing micromol output of various lamps and be pushing manufacturers to publish this data. If Philips, Osram and Sylvania can do it then clueless "hobby market" rip off merchants like Sunmaster should have no excuse...

• Like 1

rip off merchants Sunmaster??

they do some of the cheaper bulbs i buy currently

A few pounds cheaper, yeah, but crap. Cheaper doesn't mean better value.

You guys forgot about sulphur plasm lamps!

http://plasma-i.com/horticulture.htm

As near as you can get to the spectrum produced by sunlight indoors. More PAR watts than any other indoor light. Runs cool and uses less power than a 600w. What's not to like?

The price. The 300w jobbies are about a grand... which is where they were two years ago. I was hoping you lot would have all bought one by now and they'd be about a hundred quid. What can I say? You've let me down.

• Like 2

Sunmaster work for me and i like it, lol

i wont ever pay a grand for a bulb no matter how good they are @sun

unless they use 100w and output 1000w lol lol

ahhhh if only

• Like 1

Close, their 300w is supposed to be equivelant to a 1000w and draws 1.8 amps or something, really not far off your specs, but at (?) 58p per day for a 600w HPS, how long would you have to run a plasma lamp to save any money. Course, yields are supposed to be up around 30-40%....?

A few pounds cheaper, yeah, but crap. Cheaper doesn't mean better value.

I've owned over 6 and never had a problem, what exactly males them crap?

Edited by ~Sanctuary~