Feminised seeds???

Spliffy.

OK, I reckon it's about time I started getting me arse in gear and built a growroom. First question I need to ask is, You know those feminised seeds???  Well, are they guaranteed to all be female, cause I've looked on a few seedbank sites, and I've decided that as were now affiliated with "the seed box", and Joolz and Puffer seem to trust 'em, and they're not anAmerican Company, (No offence American peeps.....well, actually take offence, I don't really give a rat's arse what you think), I better buy off them.

Now the last time I went to Dam, I fell in love with white widow. She's a babe!!! Now I'm assuming that all the "White" plants are similiar (Is that right??), and they have "white Rhino" (not feminised) for £15, or "Snow White" (feminised) for £35.

I'm wondering wether it would be worth spending the extra £20 to guarantee all females (as opposed to, say 5 female and 5 male), and to not have to worry about mistaken identity when it comes to flowering and leaving a male in by mistake???

Any advice from the more experienced in this world???

:)  :rock:  :D

feminised seeds are about 90-100 percent reliable to produce female plants ,

sometimes they can produce hermaphrodites and males but very seldom ,buying feminized seeds it is the fastest way to populate a room with females as you would have to root out the males if you bought regular ,

although after a bit of experience and a seperate clone/seedling room you could find the sex of the plant before you populate your grow room with the plant

also there are a few factors which influence the sex of a seed as it germinates (studies show higher nitrogen for example can produce more females) :)  :peace:

Thanks for that doc, that was usefull stuff.

It's that 10% in the 90%-100% that I'm worried about,

My Mum says I'm a worrywart, and I know I'd be worried about having missed a male right till the point I'm harvesting, praying that I don't find seeds in there. :)

I wish I had another room to use so I could do like a two-stage thing, but I'm limited to the cubby-hole thing. (about 3' wide, 3' deep and 7.5' high.) I was thinkin about maybe in the future, having 2 levels in there, for a veg room and flower room, but for now I'll not get too technical. (I'm a hopeless DIYer )

Is the thing with the nitrogen actually viable do you think, if only hoping to grow 9 plants? (Hypothetically)

And do you think all "White" strains are similair, or am I going in the wrong direction there??

I recently greew out 3 feminised Dutch Passion White Widow seed, all of which turned out 100% puer female and lovely. I'm gooing to grow out the rest soon. I've smoked Snowhite I got in Amsterdam, and it was incredible, so I'd like to try growing it too, Ipaid 65 for my WW seeds form Gypsy Nirvana, so 42 seems a good price.

The 'White' strains are similiar in as much as they are based on White Widow, but the Snowwhite I bought was different to the WW I grew. There is the added complication that there appears to be several 'versions' of WW on the market, each of which is somewhat different from the others. The DP ones I have are kick ass though.

It's that 10% in the 90%-100% that I'm worried about,

My Mum says I'm a worrywart, and I know I'd be worried about having missed a male right till the point I'm harvesting, praying that I don't find seeds in there. :D

And do you think all "White" strains are similair, or am I going in the wrong direction there??

Spliff'

I'll ask one of the grow team to make a post highlighting the main visible distinctions between male and female. :)

The White Rhino you are getting is a cross between White Widow and Afghani, both excellent smokes in their own right.

Hi spliffy,

It's a tricky one - I never buy feminised seeds - because I think they're overpriced - and plus I'm working on a selfing technique - to try to reproduce F1 genetics in seedform - except only female - by inducing hermaphrodysm naturally. It's difficult - though I am making progress.

If you're only growing a few plants at a time - they are a good idea - as there's nothing worse than finding they're all geezers after 6 weeks of tending. If that sounds likely - then yes - I think they're worth buying.

I use a mixture of clone and seed - to ensure a certain percentage are guaranteed - and sometimes I need a male anyway.

Changes to the environment - as mentioned below - such as Nitrogen supply (there are others such as tap-root length, temperature, CO2 content, etc...) are listed on the Dutch Passion website. In talks with other growers however - I dispute their claims - I used all their pro-female techniques in the last grow and got 6 females from 22 - a worse than usual average. I know genetics requires repeated testing to establish more accurate statistics - but standard deviation will do that for you. Conclusion - it doesn't appear to affect the sex.

Also - don't worry too much about having a male in there (staminoia) - if you have your fan on periodically then it's likely if a pollen sac does open - it's contents will fall to the floor - not pollinating anything - as it's wind-borne.

They're easy to spot and even if you're not sure - leave it and make sure. I often read articles about 'get those males out of there before they turn your crop to seed'. Not true. You would have to really try to get it seed even half the room even if you were painting the pollen onto the pistillates with a paintbrush. You have plenty of time to make judgements.

I don't have any photos - but it's easy to sex when you know what you're looking for. I'll get some.

As far as pre-flowers go - I have a technique for distinguishing - I'll put it up along with some good sex-shots :sarcasm:

tata!

:)

Gotta agree with Hemp Playboy M8 - don't get too worried about the male flowers. I have a Skunk No.1 which always puts a few out at the end of flowering, but even with fans on I have never noticed more than 2 or 4 half formed seeds in up to 4 Oz of bud.

yeha i wouldn't worry about femmed seeds, i considere them on my frist grow but didn't and i was fine. as long as you check your plants every day its very easy to spot the males and get rid of them in time, besides as hemp playboy says missing a few male flowers isn't the end of the world. i'd definitely try Snow White though, it's supposed to be an excellent strain by all accounts.

Guest THE PUFFER

To be sure of producing a !00% female seed you must use pollen from a female plant....confused..??

Well every now and again a female plant will produce a single male flower, this carries pollen with 100% female genes. Crossing only with this pollen (with a female plant) will cause 100 % female genes, therefore 100 % female plants. These 'male' flowers are quite rare, very hard to spot and are prized by experienced growers.

I use all female seed, one - because I'm not a tight arse :D , two - because it means no wasted lumens, time and effort on virtually unwanted plants. If you grow for bud and bud only...female is a good option...if youre growing to create new strains, then obviously regular seeds are the way to go. Its all about personal taste.

PEACE

(Ps - Erowidno4...you have e-mailed me 4 times about this thread...none explained why ??? )

as an adendum to comrade Puffer's input:

I'm working on a method of creating these male flowers un-naturally (otherwise it could be a recessive hermi-trait) using natural plant enzymes. If I can get it to work then there will be no hermi-trait and the pollen as Puffer said will be 100% female genes. If the pollen is used with the pistillates of the same plant then the resulting seed should be female and a cloned copy of the F1 seed.

Any other input on this would be interesting - like "You're totally wasting your time..." for example... :D

It would be handy to keep donors in seed form - instead of having lots of clone mothers - taking up space - you just plant a new mother when you need it.

Ach! - it's worth persuing for that Holy Grail.

Otherwise I'll just have to bite the bullet, open my wallet - brush away the escaping moths   :stoned: - and buy some feminised seed...

as an adendum to comrade Puffer's input:

I'm working on a method of creating these male flowers un-naturally (otherwise it could be a recessive hermi-trait) using natural plant enzymes. If I can get it to work then there will be no hermi-trait and the pollen as Puffer said will be 100% female genes. If the pollen is used with the pistillates of the same plant then the resulting seed should be female and a cloned copy of the F1 seed.

Any other input on this would be interesting - like "You're totally wasting your time..." for example... :D

It would be handy to keep donors in seed form - instead of having lots of clone mothers - taking up space - you just plant a new mother when you need it.

Ach! - it's worth persuing for that Holy Grail.

Otherwise I'll just have to bite the bullet, open my wallet - brush away the escaping moths   :stoned: - and buy some feminised seed...

:curse:

sorry for that double-post - ISP cut me out - need Broadband for that always on capability - let alone the high-speed...