Are My Sedlings Dying?

bigfatbuds

even garden centres and farmers adopt the potting on process

now without being rude to them if this was not economically of benefit they would not waste time , labour , or most of all there money

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• compostverte

• Arnold Layne

• Owderb

• bigfatbuds

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am about to pot up to bigger pots and taking on board your experiences of starting from one pot makes sense when thinking about creating as natural environment as possible, so I am seriously thinking of potting on my seedlings straight into my 15l pots, so need to know when if at all I should start feeding them as I am guessing that there would be enough nutes etc to last for some considerable time, am I right in thinking this?

cheers dude :wassnnme:

don't think indoor growing is really that natural really..just potted my babies into 3.6ltrs from 1ltr and they look well happy..

probably work the other way as well altho i don,t see why hash is jumping on everybody

It's an issue that some people get steamed up about, I think mainly because it contradicts the advice given by so many 'ganja gurus' over the years, especially in their 'growing pot' guides.

Like Oldtimer has said before, the early canna growers, some of who became 'gurus' later, went the lazy-ass way of filling huge pots with compost, and putting seedlings and cuttings in them. When they found out that this killed a lot of plants, or made them grow poorly, they then had the 'brainwave' that canna is some sort of magical weird plant in that it needs huge, unecessary amounts of 'drainage' so they then started using heaps of Perlite or other inert cuts in those huge pots to give the young plants' roots a fighting chance. This seemed to work somewhat better, and it's still handed down today as established canna-growing law from the 'old masters'.

Whereas in reality, if they'd just paid attention to the practices of the long-established horticultural industry, they could have saved themselves a lot of time and bother by just re-discovering the process of potting plants up in to bigger pots as they develop.

It makes perfect sense to me, especially when I've just taken a plant for repotting, and I see the dense, well-developed mass of the healthy rootball - you'd have little chance of achieving this if you'd just grown it in a big-arse pot from the get-go. :wassnnme:

Edited by Scribb|e

Check out my grow diaries and the results of such for what evidence you need as to the merits of potting up.

As a side comment - saves a lot on compost if you can confirm sexuality before going to final pots rather than putting them into final pots as seedlings.

OT outlines the reasons for this procedure in his thread kindly pointed out by Owderb. And very sound reasoning and effect it is. I do not question it but implement it as correct grow procedure in all my compost endeavours. With very satisfactory results. Point taken?

Arnie is not 'talking out of his ass' as you commented earlier. If so, then so am I and a lot of other well respected growers.

I do not think that we are. :wassnnme:

Guest Lazlo Woodbine

Arnie is not 'talking out of his ass' as you commented earlier. If so, then so am I and a lot of other well respected growers.

I do not think that we are. :unsure:

The General... chatting out of his rear end?? .... I think not .... :stoned:

I can't really believe this is a question .... :ouch:

.... and Hashboy .. .... no need for the abuse m8 .... just because people ... (most people... ;) ) disagree with

you and your Guru... ;)

Laz

again please provide some evidence to support your statement or your just another poser talkin out ya ass

evidence? :yinyang:;)lol

have you ever thought of doing a comparison grow with 2 identical clones, one thrown into a large pot from the off and the other one potted up in stages to an equivalent sized container?

Very simple to do and you won`t have to take advice from your guru friends in future, if you learn from experience....

Really someone with such seemingly limited knowlege should (imo)keep well stumm,

hows that phrase go...

"better to stay quiet and have people think you stupid, than to open your mouth and confirm their suspicions"

:headpain:

Edited by MDP

Thanks for all the replies.

The compost is b&q peat free multipurpose. Not given them any nutes. Been watering about every 2 days but I've notices the compost dries out very quickly and the water runs straight through. I've been bottom feeding to combat this. Do you think switching to 18/6 would help?

Could we help bigfatbuds please!

Bigfatbuds you answered the question, B&Q peat free is made from composted wood chip and bark. The wood is often not composted properly when its made. Bad batches are about the worst product on the market. I had some, it was so bad I ended up mulching some tomatoes growing in the garden border to make use of it, it almost killed them.

If B&Q is easy for you, get a bag of their multi purpose with added JI, its pretty good. Ease your seedlings out of the compost with a table knife or flat dibber trying not to damage the roots, ie slide the knife straight down into the compost about 1.5cm from the stem, hold a leaf tip gently and lift the plant out leavering with the knife, gently remove any bits of wood or bark from the roots then repot into new pots filled to the brim, make a hole in the middle with your finger, ease the roots in, bury the stem a little and fluff the compost round the stem, do not compress the compost, water in, job done. The plants will thank you for it and look better in no time.

I urge you to do this as soon as you can, the compost you are useing will kill your plants.

Hope this helps. Ot1.

Thanks for your help. I have repotted the seedlings into smaller pots with westlands mp +JI and perlite. I'll keep you all posted of the results.

bfb