Are My Sedlings Dying?

bigfatbuds

listen to Owd and Arnie,

they are right, it looks like the potting mix is a bit to 'hot' nutes wise.

you have 3 choises,

1 carefully take out the seedlings and repot them into seedling compost with a smaller pot, not a good idea for a noob.

2 leave them in the compost they are in at the moment, and hope, pray.

3 try to flush out some of the nutes in the compost they are in at the moment using pH adjusted water.

thats my 2ps worth, but no doubt i'll get shot down for saying it.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• compostverte

• Arnold Layne

• Owderb

• bigfatbuds

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

to hot a soil mate causing lock out :wink: and they look a bit over watered and it wont be a bad thing to give em 4 hrs sleep a night :wassnnme:

Thanks for all the replies.

The compost is b&q peat free multipurpose. Not given them any nutes. Been watering about every 2 days but I've notices the compost dries out very quickly and the water runs straight through. I've been bottom feeding to combat this. Do you think switching to 18/6 would help?

The water should go straight through mate.

Don't sit the plants in water.

Roots need oxygen as well as water.

Edited by compostverte

Potting-up has been what's done in the general horticultural industry for years immemorial - as Owd has pointed out before, I think that the planting of seeds and seedlings in whacking great big pots filled with compost that's *had* to be cut with perlite, is somthing that was started by lazy stoners who figured in their minds - bigger pot = bigger plant = more weed.

I don't see why plants should suffer any 'transplant stress' at all if the potting-up is done with a modicum of care, and you don't go 'bonsai-ing' the roots or anything - you're just placing the hopefully well-formed rootball into a larger expanse of compost for them to stretch out in - what's shocking to the plant about that? :yinyang:

I've always done it (not just for cannabis) for reasons of efficiency as much as anything else - space is always at a premium in the greenhouse .. and indoors under lights it means you can use a smaller light for early vegging.

I do seem to repot a little faster than others recommend though, as I dislike checking root development and encouraging bolting.

I read somewhere that cabbage plants actually do better when subjected to a little "air pruning" / transplanting shock.

I have to say though that in my experience greenhouse tomatoes are rarely repotted very much - generally going straight from seed tray, via a 3 1/2" pot to final container.

Edited by compostverte

i would expect that the transplant stress from "potting them up in gentle (small) stages until they finally enter the size of pot required for flowering" would be detremental to rootball health and vigor

I am about to pot up to bigger pots and taking on board your experiences of starting from one pot makes sense when thinking about creating as natural environment as possible, so I am seriously thinking of potting on my seedlings straight into my 15l pots, so need to know when if at all I should start feeding them as I am guessing that there would be enough nutes etc to last for some considerable time, am I right in thinking this?

cheers dude :smoke:

I am about to pot up to bigger pots and taking on board your experiences of starting from one pot makes sense when thinking about creating as natural environment as possible, so I am seriously thinking of potting on my seedlings straight into my 15l pots, so need to know when if at all I should start feeding them as I am guessing that there would be enough nutes etc to last for some considerable time, am I right in thinking this?

cheers dude :smoke:

a 6 litre b4 the 15 litre would help develop some decent roots

No feeding if the compost is any good.

think I will give it a go and see what gives :smoke: plus will give me more time to just stare at them :smoke:

fuck it just realised what if I pot up a fucking boy??? nah, gonna stay with potting up malarky until I can sex them.

i would expect that the transplant stress from "potting them up in gentle (small) stages until they finally enter the size of pot required for flowering" would be detremental to rootball health and vigor

Well no one's perfect mate. :smoke:

Its common sense really. Placing a small clone with a limited rootball into a huge container full of nutrient rich compost is asking for trouble? surely you can see that? This is really basic stuff!!!

The compost will be constantly wet as the seedling/cutting doesnt have a big enough root structure to make use of the available nutrient. You will not get sufficient exchange of gas's simply because you wont be watering often enough (no air for your roots) the compost will become anaerobic! You will experience over watering, over fert and a poor root system! Things may look ok to begin with, but you will experience the real porblems when you reach the flowering stage and everythings locked out!

Big roots does equal big buds!

But a well rooted out 10l pot will more than likely outyield a badly rooted 20l pot.

again please provide some evidence to support your statement or your just another poser talkin out ya ass

I'm sorry if I jumped to conclusions too soon back there mate, but please don't take it out on others ..

:smoke:

Well do you care to offer any scientific evidence to support your startement?

No, not really. Not a scientist d'you see?

I have grown both ways, and as I said (did you even read what I wrote), I base what I said on the advice of more seasoned growers than me and on my own experience over a few years of growing. I suggest you study VRG's post above, he's a sprightly young fella (not an old fossil like me) and knows his stuff when it comes to growing primo pot (check out his diaries, they are full of excellent examples of superbly grown Cannabis)

i have tried to google some information on the subject but couldn't find anything to support either view, so i asked the most seasond soil guru i know, Uncle Ben, and he agreed with me...

And I continue to disagree; moreover I would say that anyone following that advice was being very poorly advised indeed. Properly potted up plants, re-potted in gentle stages as they fill out each size of pot, develop much more intensely vigorous rootballs and produce considerably more bud that those improperly tended.

I don't need anyone to tell me this, I have proved it for myself over many grows.

Edited by Arnold Layne

personally i think its easy to repot a plant, without damaging any of the roots and so not stressing it out ;)

it only takes like 5 seconds :yahoo::yahoo: