Blew My Envirolite...

Davey

I just wired up and tested my lighting with 1 enviro. It came on for a second then *pop* accompanied by a slight fireworks smell from the enviro ballast.

I have no idea why this happened. The plug is a 13A fused plug, which goes directly to a splitter. From this splitter a live and a neutral goto 1 E40 fitting, and 1 live one neutral goes to another E40 fitting. It's not like i've never wired stuff up before, i'm reasonably competent with basic electronics like this.

Could be a faulty light, but I dont want to risk another one! Any ideas what could be wrong?

Thanks,

Dave.

think some envros were famous fer a slight melting then blowing not 100 percent sure tho.

ya didnt mention earth wire anywhere could that be the problem if not earthed bulb might blow??

(yellow/green) needs to be conected to the little metal plate that comes attached to most E40 lamp holders

Little metal plate? I got my E40's from the UK420 store. There are the 2 generic screw fixings for neutral/live. Didnt observe anywhere obvious for a earth. Will go unscrew and check now.

This could be a classic 'dave, you truely are a complete twit' moment. \o/

I read that tutorial.. it didnt really point out where my earth is meant to fix to the enviro. I guess I'll just smack an earth onto the plate which the screws to fit the E40 to my mount go through and see what happens to one of my other lamps.

1 down, 3 to go!

Cheers for your help!

Hugs and Kisses,

Dave.

Guest Yoda Indica

osram t9 is a better fixture.

tested, and known for reliability

yet it aint compact.

fluoros > the longer the better

enviros are best for those - i want to grow dope in my guitar amp grows... but indeed blow a lot

Edited by Yoda Indica

haha noi probs will pass on the hugs n kisses tho if ya dont mind :soap:

u could wait for someone with a sparky background to post or someone has wired them save ya bulbs but reckon has to be earthed in some way but sayin that have seen envro lamp holders on sale at various places and dont look earthed as is no plates so its a puzzle

good luck tho

Well, added the earths and the other 3 bulbs are all good now. My luck though - blew a blue spectrum one; a red wouldnt have been such a problem, my babies require more blue at the moment though. Ah well! Cant be helped!

Cheers all,

Dave.

Shit happens especially with them, I was never satisfied with Enviros. One blew up similar, Grounding does not prevent blowing, :yep:. It saves your ass, not the light though. One Nurture only flicked once and was gone, no bang. Another Enviro had a loose connexion that showed up after some time, plus the nice melting plastic smell and was replaced. Only "normal" cfls since then. My two remaining Ecolites - one replaced the Enviro - were and are running without any problems at all.

my ecolites have lasted longer than enviro's also

and cfl's(edit) still going strong

editx2

i tend to hang my eco's/enviro's horizontally in a reflector

hanging them upright can cause the inbuilt balast to overheat as heat rises towards the inbuilt ballast

Edited by tightbud

Im thinking of switching to a 250 watt HPS with my next pay cheque, maybe the month after to spread the cost a bit.

I'll see how it goes :yep:

my ecolites have lasted longer than enviro's also

and cfl's(edit) still going strong

editx2

i tend to hang my eco's/enviro's horizontally in a reflector

hanging them upright can cause the inbuilt balast to overheat as heat rises towards the inbuilt ballast

Yes, horizontally, with a fan blowing over them, same with cfls.

post-11447-1155768340_thumb.jpg

Edited by aventinusdampf

Yes, horizontally, with a fan blowing over them, same with cfls.

post-11447-1155768340_thumb.jpg

Best not to blow air over the tubes though. I checked my Enviro with a light meter last night and after about 10 mins with a fan blowing down it the light had reduced by almost 30%. They need to run hot for max output.