Mdf, Is It Ok ?

Spliffy

OK, I've tried MDF, M.D.F. , mdf and m.d.f. in the search function, all with no results, even tho I know it's been mentioned on here before lol

Right then. The floor of my growroom is a sheet of MDF nailed down by the landlord. I know I've read on here before that MDF gives off some sort of poisonous (to the plants) gas, and I also remember reading a way to counteract this, but I can't remember what it was :wassnnme:

I'm intending to paint this floor with matt white paint, but I was wondering, would this seal in the nasties, or would I need to treat it with something else first?

Cheers guys.

Edited by Ali_Bongo

OK, I've tried MDF, M.D.F. , mdf and m.d.f. in the search function, all with no results, even tho I know it's been mentioned on here before lol

Right then. The floor of my growroom is a sheet of MDF nailed down by the landlord. I know I've read on here before that MDF gives off some sort of poisonous (to the plants) gas, and I also remember reading a way to counteract this, but I can't remember what it was :wassnnme:

I'm intending to paint this floor with matt white paint, but I was wondering, would this seal in the nasties, or would I need to treat it with something else first?

Cheers guys.

My whole grow is covered with mdf. Plants are fine. thats my 2pworth.

tt

Medium density fibreboard, the resin used is urea formaldehyde, so if your painting it make sure it`s completely sealed lol

It wont leak gasses but may expand like nowt else if it gets wet!!!

IME it soaks paint like a sponge anyway, id be sorely tempted to cover it with b&w or summit m8. :wassnnme:

Thats the one :wassnnme: Cheers MDP, that'll be 4 coats and black and white on it then.

TT, happen your a lucky guy lol

Well I did paint it as well :guitar:

tt

if workign with pva make sure its rubber butile based so it doesnt wash off when ya clean yer room walls

seeing as pva normal pva is water based it will wipe off

where as rubber butile based pva can be sumberged under water and it wont degrade

PVA is the stuff ya use to seal it m8

Brilliant. Cheers for that. I knew there was some way of doing it. :yep:

Just read through that doc TT, and it seems that the only probs according to them, is breathing the dust particles while sawing it up. Obviously tho, I cant see them doing a study to see what effect they have on our beloved greenery :D

Thanks again for the replys, thats one less thing to be worried about.

(Only got the problem that the landlord will be putting double glazing thru the full flat, and re-insulating the loft "Some time in the next 2 years" :smoke: )

Edit...Cheers PD, I'm glad you added that, cause I would have been using the PVA glue my kids use for making collages and stuff. Many thanks mate, saved me a LOT of problems there :D

Edited by Ali_Bongo

Just read through that doc TT, and it seems that the only probs according to them, is breathing the dust particles while sawing it up. Obviously tho, I cant see them doing a study to see what effect they have on our beloved greenery :yep:

Well Ive done some of the research already - nothing to report :D

go for it :smoke:

tt

Medium density fibreboard, the resin used is urea formaldehyde

No, it isnt. possibly true with waterproof mdf, but otherwise, every source i asked told me that if there was formaldehyde in them, it would say on the wood. Used in grow room with no adverse affects.

edit to add: ok look, mdp ur the expert, dont wat to start an argument, but imo (and in the opinion of the staff at quite a few places) it simply isnt true.

Edited by []D [] []v[] []D

Well if i`m wrong i`ll stand corrected m8 :yep:

But like i said I used to cut the stuff for a living so if theres another type of MDF available i certainley didnt come across it :smoke:

http://www.design-technology.org/mdf.htm

Heres a good thread on waterproofing MDF: http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41155

When we worked in the business we were instructed to wear full head gear breathing apparatus at all times. :D