Digital Ballasts And Lumens/lux?

Guest gunnaknow

If flourescent lamps have this kind of ballast too, shouldn't people growing under flouros and compact flouros be cautious about radio interference too? If they're not getting busted after years of use with lots of flouros or CFLs, it would suggest that digi ballasts are ok to use too, atleast in moderation.

I believe there were emission problems in the early days especially in the USA, both with radio and infrared, it was sorted by the manufacturers after litigation/prosecution and the introduction of strict regulations on emf’s.

Over 90% of fluorescent lights sold today are still C&C driven, electronic ballast types are still much dearer, yes compact fluorescents are fed by electronic ballasts. They only have tiny emissions if any, any problems in this area were sorted by the manufacturers long ago as were all the devises they make to control low power HID's.

The technology and capability to handle and control the power across something like a 600w arc tube reliably is quite new.

The manufacturers in emerging technology areas like China don’t always bother complying with eu regs even if they slap a CE mark on the product they export, neither does it mean that they have had the product go through a CE approval lab.

Thanks for the info OT. Like you said, trying to find an old radio aint too easy lol

I'm going to have a word with my 2 neighbours and tell em I have some new equipment and was wondering if they were getting any interference on any TVs radio or phones or any other equipment they have.

I might aswell go to them and see if there is a problem, rather than them seeking out the problem and coming to me ;)

I will report back when I get a radio and test.

Would it effect satelite Navigation on the Farmers Equipment :( I'm more worried about that than my neighbours :thumsup:

Maybe it's time someone redesigned the bulbs.... The emergence of the digital ballast is a natural step methinks, in this day and age. The bulbs have been around a fair while now and don't seem to have changed all that much.......

Here's hoping.....

Maybe it's time someone redesigned the bulbs.... The emergence of the digital ballast is a natural step methinks, in this day and age. The bulbs have been around a fair while now and don't seem to have changed all that much.......

Here's hoping.....

nigfis I think new lamps for digital ballasts will come, but it will be about energy saving not more lumens, well that is what has happened with fluorescent tubes, where initially electronic ballasts were made to drive traditional tubes, now while they can still drive standard tubes, tubes specifically formulated for the electronic ballasts are much more efficient.

sunburstlighting in CA one of the pioneers in electronic ballasts for hid’s over several years of tuning saved Toronto round 60% on their street lighting electricity bill. Do we see it every where, no! Why, because the big cartels are holding back the technology, they can’t do it forever though and its bursting out from the far east, as they emerge they will drive the fat cats that have the market sowed up at this moment in time.

I think these far east Co’s will fix the emissions prob, they want the market. As I said at the start, the plants love the light produced by these ballasts. I only see this as a minor hiccup.

:ouch: OK, talked with my neighbour (x cop) lol asked him about any buzzing or interference on ANYTHING, he said NO problems, here's the funny bit :spliff: I borrowed his am radio and turned it on as I left his cottage, his cottage is 20 yards from mine, NO buzzing, as I walked closer to my cottage the buzzing started about 10 yards from my cottage.

When I stood outside my front door the buzzing was loud, I could still hear the radio, on entering ma hoose :ouch: a loud bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz that would do anybodys head in lol

As far as I'm concerned I'm going to stick with it ONLY because of where I live. I would NOT use it if I lived in a built up area :yinyang:

P.S I took the radio in my car and drove round the farm :wub: as soon as I'm 10 - 15 yards away from my cottage the buzzing is GONE

P.S J and the UK420 store offered to take it back, I'm going ti keep it

Edited by S2001

J .......... Give us a ring and cancel murran
:ouch:

W e l l ...................... that was a blunt, short & sweet !

Just say thanks to UK420 providing a quick, accurate, safe, happy Crew !

Thanks to Ot1 for his input, ----- The lesson here: to do your research and be patient before jumping the gun ........... ! .

Being poor would be an advantage is this situation.

:yinyang:

NK.

Hi S2001,

you say about 10 yards from the cottage you get buzzing.How far from the actual ballast?I am only asking because i grow in a shed,my nextdoor neighbour is out in his back garden most of the summer and listens to the sport on the radio,I believe the sport is usually on medium wave and they are only small back gardens,I dont want to be rubbing the neighbour up the wrong way. :smoke:

Anyway i will fire one of mine up when they arrive and do the radio test

Murran ;)

Edited by murran

Hi S2001,

you say about 10 yards from the cottage you get buzzing.How far from the actual ballast?I am only asking because i grow in a shed,my nextdoor neighbour is out in his back garden most of the summer and listens to the sport on the radio,I believe the sport is usually on medium wave and they are only small back gardens,I dont want to be rubbing the neighbour up the wrong way. ;)

Anyway i will fire one of mine up when they arrive and do the radio test

Murran ;)

The ballast is in my loft, so I would say 20 yards and the buzzing is gone. And as for the sport channel on the Beeb radio, it was clear as a bell, I seem to have AM1 and AM2 in my car, I've just checked again and the BBC sport channel is clear as a bell, then I go to AM2 and it's all buzzing, can someone explain that :yep:

P.S I listened to BBC radio scotland (it's on AM) ALL day yesterday through my Digi TV, all was fine

Edited by S2001

The ballast is in my loft, so I would say 20 yards and the buzzing is gone. And as for the sport channel on the Beeb radio, it was clear as a bell, I seem to have AM1 and AM2 in my car, I've just checked again and the BBC sport channel is clear as a bell, then I go to AM2 and it's all buzzing, can someone explain that :yep:

P.S I listened to BBC radio scotland (it's on AM) ALL day yesterday through my Digi TV, all was fine

Thanks for that info mate i will see when i get mine

Murran ;)

Guest gunnaknow

What would happen if you use 2 digi ballasts? Would the strength of interference double, or would the distance of interference double instead?

If one of you has 2 digi ballasts, can you test to see if the distance of interference doubles when you switch both on instead of one? If anything, I think the area of interference might double but not the distance. To double the distance of interference, I think you would need 4 digi ballasts because of the rule of squaring.

Guest HomeGrown

isnt the AM signal geting turned off soon ?

All the emergency services, planes etc are on digital so there will be no inteference with their signals

the state detecting ur digi ballast ? hmmmm can they detect osoma on his sat phone?

i dont have a telly licence...they say they can detect that...although thats bollox....lets say they can....unless u invite them in they cant do nothing

think peeps worrying about nothing

Guest gunnaknow

"All the emergency services, planes etc are on digital so there will be no inteference with their signals"

Why would digital not pick up interference?

I'd have thought people complaining is the risk, so nothing like not having a TV license. If I was a 5 Live addict and it was buzzing for twelve hours a day I'd want to know who and what was doing it. Interfering with commercial radio stations is a risk not worth taking.

I'm not so worried about the am radio thing, but, my next door neighbour is well into his amature C.B radio stuff, would the ballasts interfere with that? :unsure:

Mr P