Digital Ballasts And Lumens/lux?

Guest gunnaknow

Surely if theres a question mark over security with the ballasts Alice its best not to use em lol

The company will bring one out with no issues hopefully but untill then I'm staying safe with no extra chance of being caught lol

Makes sense to me lol

Stay safe lol

Owd lol

nobody is trying to scare growers ffs !!

just trying to warn them of a potential problem reported from several respected growers here,

From the reports in so far it does seem that the branded units may be the worse culprits but untill people come forward we wont know the extent of the prob or how much of a risk it is lol

would you rather we left the growers blissfully ignorant untill the front door caves in or pass on the info as we recieve it and let them make their own minds up ?

and takeing it off your site is letting the grower deside??? as i said 16 in a house on an estate so far everythings a week ahead which is nice lol i've found they run less energy and harder light just don't listen to radio 2 3 4 5 net to the digis with an old radio!!!! classic lol

and takeing it off your site is letting the grower deside???

they are still available to purchase if you are happy to take the risk based on the information posted here from people that are using them

how many would you like and which flavour

400w 600w or the new , just in, 250 watt ?

they are still available to purchase if you are happy to take the risk based on the information posted here from people that are using them

how many would you like and which flavour

400w 600w or the new , just in, 250 watt ?

it's 14 600w and 2 400s there was 1 thing the clock radio wasn't any good in there outside on the landing fine though! whats was wrong? i'll check again!

Guest HomeGrown

alice...ppl getting interference are using poorly earthed ( u know that green wire in a plug) electrical equipment

Edited by HomeGrown

alice...ppl getting interference are using poorly earthed ( u know that green wire in a plug) electrical equipment

None of my separates are poorly earthed. Or the car, or the portable transistor....

That is NOT the cause of the interference?

Where can I buy some really thick aluminium foil, I need to make a big fucking hat.

tt

Edited by Tommy Terpene

Alice I’ve been told you are friends with the people importing one type of these units. I fully understand they have a lot of money invested, it must be one or two container loads. I can understand them or you wanting to protect their interests.

But lying about it is not on. As I already said I have not tried one of your Winkon units, but members here have, S2001 lives remote, he says the maximum distance the interference spreads is about 60 ft, I assume his light is not to high above the ground level and has a reflector over it. Other members have reported the same thing.

Our concern is for our members safety not making money, to say we are lying or should not tell them if we think there is even a possible risk is to be quite honest disgusting.

This is a recording of the signal produced by a lumatek across the road from TT’s house the first radio 5, the second AM medium wave band light on, the third AM long wave band and finally the light switched off again. link!

Maybe S2001 can comment if the interference is the same with the Winkon unit he has, he has no bias as he is happy with his light because he is in a remote place and the interference will bother no one.

Guest HomeGrown

Where can I buy some really thick aluminium foil, I need to make a big fucking hat.

tt

normal cooking foil does the trick with mobiles...cant see why it wont work here

Kind of hard to wrap a bulb in foil without it affecting the light output though..

It sounds like 50Hz mains hum in that file, presumably being carried by the high frequency output of the ballast and then broadcast via the unscreened bulb.

Guest gunnaknow

tt

"The effectiveness of the tin-foil hat as an electromagnetic shield for stopping radio waves is greatly reduced by the fact that it is not a complete enclosure. Placing an AM radio under a metal bucket without a conductive layer underneath demonstrates the relative ineffectiveness of such a setup. Indeed, because the effect of an ungrounded Faraday cage is to partially reflect the incident radiation, a radio wave that is incident on the inner surface of the hat (i.e., coming from underneath the hat-wearer) would be reflected and partially 'focused' towards the user's brain. While tin-foil hats may have originated in some understanding of the Faraday cage effect, the use of such a hat to attenuate radio waves belongs properly to the realm of pseudoscience."

Oh dear. :wassnnme:

Guest HomeGrown

from ofcom web site

TV or radio interference or reception problems -

Radio interference/reception problemsProblems with sound quality - buzzing, crackling etc.

Both analogue radios (with FM, MW, LW or SW frequency bands) and digital radio sets (DAB) need a good aerial to guarantee the best sound quality. If you’re quite far from the nearest transmitter it can be difficult for radio signals to go through thick brick or concrete walls, so you might find that putting the radio on a window sill with the aerial near the window glass can help. If the radio is close to an electrical device with a large motor (for example, a washing machine or fridge-freezer) this can also cause interference.

Try moving the radio from room to room to see if the reception problems improve or worsen.

If you’re using the radio’s built-in aerial, see if your radio allows you to plug in an external aerial. Most High Street electrical shops will sell a desktop FM aerial which may allow for better reception. If you have a rooftop TV aerial you may also be able to connect this to your radio. A qualified aerial installer can help with advice. The Confederation of Aerial Industries (CAI) keeps a list of accredited installers.

Edited by HomeGrown

Alice I’ve been told you are friends with the people importing one type of these units. I fully understand they have a lot of money invested, it must be one or two container loads. I can understand them or you wanting to protect their interests.

But lying about it is not on. As I already said I have not tried one of your Winkon units, but members here have, S2001 lives remote, he says the maximum distance the interference spreads is about 60 ft, I assume his light is not to high above the ground level and has a reflector over it. Other members have reported the same thing.

Our concern is for our members safety not making money, to say we are lying or should not tell them if we think there is even a possible risk is to be quite honest disgusting.

This is a recording of the signal produced by a lumatek across the road from TT’s house the first radio 5, the second AM medium wave band light on, the third AM long wave band and finally the light switched off again. link!

Maybe S2001 can comment if the interference is the same with the Winkon unit he has, he has no bias as he is happy with his light because he is in a remote place and the interference will bother no one.

OK, ave tested it again :yep: Here's what happens, weird, I can stand right next to the ballast with AM ON and NO interference ONLY ON CERTAIN CHANNELS :yinyang: That also says to me that it might not be the ballast lol So I turn the ballast OFF and the buzzing stops :wassnnme:

It's really weird, I think the UK420 store should do their own tests. MOST of my AM stations are clear as a bell, I started scanning and yes I find intereference but I can still hear the radio, as soon as I start to walk away the buzzing stops :wub:

I've talked with both my neighbours and told them if they get ANY kind of interference on anything to let me know ASAP.

My ballast is 12 ft ABOVE GROUND in my loft BTW;) :yinyang:

"The effectiveness of the tin-foil hat as an electromagnetic shield for stopping radio waves is greatly reduced by the fact that it is not a complete enclosure. Placing an AM radio under a metal bucket without a conductive layer underneath demonstrates the relative ineffectiveness of such a setup. Indeed, because the effect of an ungrounded Faraday cage is to partially reflect the incident radiation, a radio wave that is incident on the inner surface of the hat (i.e., coming from underneath the hat-wearer) would be reflected and partially 'focused' towards the user's brain. While tin-foil hats may have originated in some understanding of the Faraday cage effect, the use of such a hat to attenuate radio waves belongs properly to the realm of pseudoscience."

Oh dear. :fuckyou:

No mate - I want a tin foil hat to keep the nutters away from my head. Nowt to do with lamps, ballasts or anything electrical. Just the nutters.

tt

• Like 1

Guest gunnaknow

MOST of my AM stations are clear as a bell, I started scanning and yes I find intereference but I can still hear the radio, as soon as I start to walk away the buzzing stops :guitar:

I thought you said earlier that the buzzing stops after 20 yards.

Try unscrewing the bulb and seeing if the interference still occurs when the ballast is on. Then you will know for certain if it's the bulb or ballast transmitting.

I agree, it would be nice to see UK420 doing some testing.