Home Made Accoustic Ducting

MU

good afternoon folks

i was wondering about accoustic ducting and whether this home made version would work ok. im going to the grow shop later today, but in case they dont sell accoustic ducting, i was going to buy 2 x 10m rolls of 160mm and 200mm ordinary ducting and try to make my own version of accoustic ducting.

the idea is simple. get some 160mm ducting, extend it to the length i need (say 5m), then totally cover it with bubblewrap sheeting, then pull over the 200mm over the top, so the 160mm tubing is inside the 200mm tubing with the bubblewrap nicely encased in the middle of the two strips of ducting.

the 200mm ducting is 4cm bigger in diameter than the 160mm, so that would give me 2cm all the way round the 160mm tubing to wrap the bubblewrap, and the 200mm ducting should fit nice and snugly over the top of the smaller ducting+bubblewrap.

how does this sound?

would it work?

cheers

mu

Edited by MU

Guest Blabblabberbab

Nice Idea :smoke: - maybe cotton wool or something instead of bubble-wrap tho? let us all know what you find out :bunny:

B :stoned:

cheers blab.

i was thinking bubblewrap, cos its easy to buy large amounts of it in sheet form quite cheaply and would be easy to stick on to the inner ducting with tape.

its irrelevent now as ive just rang the grow shop and they can get me accoustic ducting, although theyve had to order it for me...

Dont think it would work well mate cos the inner ducting is perforated on proper acoustic to let the noise into the fibre to dampen it :smoke:

Owd :stoned:

The acoustic ducting I bought has that fibreglassy type loft insulation material to dampen the sound.

Ultimately it didn't work for me though, as it just carried the noise that much further. Sounded like a plane engine until i tweaked it by inserting a bit of non-acoustic ducting in. It did quiet it down in the drobe, but be aware that it will make the vent end noisier.

Something to bear in mind

B8

Dont think it would work well mate cos the inner ducting is perforated on proper acoustic to let the noise into the fibre to dampen it lol

Owd lol

Same as my normal 4 in ducting, and as said my acoustic ducting has the same fibreglassy stuff....

RAZ

Just to add that the acoustic ducting you buy is crap.

The fibre glass that they use is a heat retainer not acoustic.

Go to your local builders merchant and ask for some acoustic bats.

They measure 4ft x 2ft and work out about £1 each, (£20+ for 20 bats).

Ive lined my breather room in the stuff, the result was very impressive, it completley muffled my noise problem from a big 12.5 inch fan.

Remember acoustic bats is what you need. Otherwise imo dont bother. lol

Edited by Stealth67

Guest artofzen

i dont think bubble wrap would have the same acoustic dampening ability of rockwool, + you will pay more in the long run than you would if you bought acoustic ducting in the first place, if say you bought the 10m of 150 ducting and 10m of 200 ducting from the uk 420 store add to that the cost of bubble another £20 you total £67.

A 10m box of 150mm insulated ducting costs £45, and a lot less blood sweat and tears, imho

i dont think bubble wrap would have the same acoustic dampening ability of rockwool, + you will pay more in the long run than you would if you bought acoustic ducting in the first place, if say you bought the 10m of 150 ducting and 10m of 200 ducting from the uk 420 store add to that the cost of bubble another £20 you total £67.

A 10m box of 150mm insulated ducting costs £45, and a lot less blood sweat and tears, imho

very true, but where you argument falls down is that uk420 growshop dont deliver to mainland europe.

the accoustic ducting ive just ordered is costing me 157 francs, cc 70 pounds stirling, typical rip-off switzerland. lol

Edited by MU

Guest artofzen

very true, but where you argument falls down is that uk420 growshop dont deliver to mainland europe.

the accoustic ducting ive just ordered is costing me 157 francs, cc 70 pounds stirling, typical rip-off switzerland. lol

look harder....

Guest artofzen

this is the irony of this forum, heres someone seeking advice on a forum that is supposed to help its members.

who is paying £25 over the odds for a single item to a swiss company?????? (far be it from me to call them fascists)

ironic dont you think....

hi mu

see you are not leaveing anything to chance

this time :unsure: after the last scare. :smug:

benny.

youre not wrong there mate.. :smug:

i'll be using 2 x 1m silencers (one on each side of the extractor fan), accoustic ducting, and the fan itself is going to be inside a cardboard box stuffed with polystyrene bits.

hopefully that should be enough to silence a 160L fan... <fingers crossed>

Edited by MU