What 4” EC fan and filter should I buy?

Hole in the clouds

2 hours ago, NotGoingGoa said:

Spider Farmer fanis fine and dandy, controller is virtually useless. Set my temp or humidity target, fan kicks in runs until target reached and shuts the fucking fan OFF not kicks back to whatever setting was on, no, no fucking shuts off. Wasted my money on one a few weeks ago and posted on here in this section about it.

Fucking raging at myself for not having done just a wee bit more research, b4 buying it. Good fan, really well made controller, solid as fuck, but virtually useless discovered subsequently that it and MarsHydro equivalent are identical. Very happy with the EVO SF1000 I got back in March, and all that has grown and is growing under it seem to approve of my purchase also! Aye, the fan controller is the shite fan as I said is sound bit of kit.

Sounds a bit like the old AC Infinity controllers, the T4 I bought had a controller like that and I gather the first gen Controller 67 was the same. At least ACI had the excuse that they were originally developed for cooling server rooms so constant negative pressure wasn't a necessity. 

Have you tried using the app as well the controller itself? Even with my 2nd gen c67 I couldn't figure out how to get it working properly (min fan speed etc) without using the app. 

3 hours ago, BilgePump said:

Fuck me! they're cheap! :skin_up:

:yinyang:

They are cheap for what they are, aren't they? I knew they were a cheaper option but I hadn't actually looked at how cheap they were lol Also they're called "Air EC" now instead of Radair.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah I struggled to find them initially but those radar/air ec fans look great. @GSZZ have you got any first hand experience with them? 

E2A do any of the g.a.s. controllers offer the same functionality as the ACI ones? 

Edited by MindSoup

Posted (edited)

@MindSoup I get what you're saying 👍, The needs shooting bit was just a bit of jokey banter lol

There's perspective to what you're actually getting for your money.

For a new light that is a very poor design, as for build quality according to Migro dude Viparspectra is "king" of all budget brands.

I grew perfectly acceptable weed with my old light, but the bud quality definitely improved across the whole canopy with my new light for the same kinda money, it seems a shame someone would miss out.

Maybe I care too much about others, I am a full time carer after all lol

Edit to add: having a light where you have too much ppfd in the middle and not enough around the edges is a pain to balance, even worse with a light with so much Drop off, hopefully something users can avoid by reading this in the future.

Viparspectra ain't the only light available with a good par map, but there is also some below par stuff out there too.(see what i did there lol)

Edited by Military Grade

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MindSoup said:

do any of the g.a.s. controllers offer the same functionality as the ACI ones?

I've often wondered that about them when people mentioned them, i've never looked into it as i never really needed to but i still wondered nevertheless. I wonder if they have a convenient app too?

The G.A.S Enviro4 Controller looks like the one that would have the extra luxuries but i have no idea tbh, Nearly £400 tho

Edited by Military Grade

59 minutes ago, Military Grade said:

Maybe I care too much about others,

Shitting all over/laughing at someone's recent purchase isn't exactly being very caring though is it lol.

@GSZZ have you got any first hand experience with them? 

Honestly, only dicking about with the one they fetched into the shop to show us/ones I've ordered in for people. They seem pretty smart, I'd use them. 

do any of the g.a.s. controllers offer the same functionality as the ACI ones? 

I'm not sure what functionality the ACI one offers to compare it to. ACI stuff isn't all that common in grow shops, so I am a bit clueless on their stuff - I do know that the GAS stuff doesn't offer an app, but I don't mind that tbh. 

• Like 1

love my GAS controller :) even without an app

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Yeah there's pros and cons to having an app, it can be more convenient, but also a potential security risk, I have the old 67 controller which is Bluetooth only so I wouldn't really miss it, the new WiFi ones do look handy, but in the last 3 years there really hasn't been a time I needed to change any settings whilst away from home and I'm away from home a lot.kore than most growers. I remember Adam explaining how to run any ec fan off an aci controller anyway, so really if the fans good/quiet and cheaper than ACI units then it's a no brainer. Shame his section is gone now but I'm sure I can figure it out. 

I hear good things about the silenced rhino ec fans as well, still early days but the first impressions people have had are that they sturdy and as quiet as any other. 

Edited by MindSoup

Posted (edited)

Wifi one is really handy for me, For checking the humidity while i'm out, in some situations the extraction fan just ain't enough to deal with it, and being able to know if my dehumidifier has turned off because i forgot to empty it the day before :doh: is very handy, Phone call "Mum can you empty the dehumidifier tank for me please" while i'm out doing her shopping lol.

But now the app has an even more handy use for my setup, as the controller is on the top shelf of the drobe, so i would have to open the flower side in lights off just to check the humidity levels which is not ideal, but i can just check on the app 👍

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 1