trying to understand ca/mg ratio correction

runninwivscissors

Posted (edited)

I don't grow in coco ( soil only for me) so perhaps my perspective is totally irrelevant. 

But I will say this-  I've completely gone away from "bundled" products with respect to Cal Mag.  I just watch the plants closely and feed them varying "specific" products, depending on need.  Mine seem to really want Calcium and Phosphorous all the time.  They get Micronized Gypsum and /or a slownickel "Pcal" ( micronized calcium and phosphorous).  I generally feed the cal ( by mixing with water) pretty aggressively.  I work in doses of Epsoms salt to, ideally, catch the ratio before it gets too Cal dominant.  As I see signs of Mag Def I water in with Epsoms Salt fairly quickly and semi-heavy handed.  They clear up the mag def and then its back to forcing the cal into them. 

This seems to be working for me pretty well over the past year or so, but you have to "know" what you're looking at and you have to really pay close attention.  you gotta sit with them every day and look, inspect, fondle or you end up missing your timing and shit is real hard to nurse back. 

Edited by Cajafiesta

My apologies @runninwivscissors,

it was @Wrh who previously mentioned the rainwater and you both have a plain empty avatar(at time of posting),

so I didn’t realise that comment wasn’t yours lollol 

I think @Slippy One has fairly hard water iirc??

Atb

☯️

It's true my hard water is 19:1 cal:mg, but since switching to Beanstalk pellet food, don't need to bother adding 1.6ml mono mg anymore. Plants don't mind getting extra mg but they can cope with the minimal content in the tap water.. My mums get a dose of epsom salts once every few weeks. 

I have absolutely no idea what to do with very soft water with a freaky 4:1 mg:cal ratio, obviously, the solution will be Canna Mono Calcium to be used in some form to fix the OP's ratio. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help guys, am I best to just use the mg in the nutrient to solve it and feed at the required ec. Given my tap water ec is pretty high at 0.6 as it is, adding mono mg will bring that base ec up even further leaving less room for food, is that right?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, runninwivscissors said:

Thanks for all the help guys, am I best to just use the mg in the nutrient to solve it and feed at the required ec. Given my tap water ec is pretty high at 0.6 as it is, adding mono mg will bring that base ec up even further leaving less room for food, is that right?

Cant answer your question asked in this part, but my background EC is 0.6 too. Running coco. Never bothered to have my water tested, never added calmag, and have been through a lot of different nute companies.

I would suggest running without calmag and seeing how you go, rather than trying to correct errors\deficiencies that haven't even occurred yet. This can be done on the fly. Its not like you will wake up the next morning and your plants will be dead. 

Funny you mention shogun as they are my next nute line to try. I already use their Katana Roots which is really good.

Good luck mate

Edited by Moonstone420

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Moonstone420 said:

Cant answer your question asked in this part, but my background EC is 0.6 too. Running coco. Never bothered to have my water tested, never added calmag, and have been through a lot of different nute companies.

I would suggest running without calmag and seeing how you go, rather than trying to correct errors\deficiencies that haven't even occurred yet. This can be done on the fly. Its not like you will wake up the next morning and your plants will be dead. 

Funny you mention shogun as they are my next nute line to try. I already use their Katana Roots which is really good.

Good luck mate

A mucker of mine uses the Shogun and to be fair his weed is the bomb, he's a mediocre/lazy grower too, by his own admission. I'm managing to get 1.5ml /litre a+b in to get me to an ec of 1.2 we will see where we go

Edited by runninwivscissors

1 hour ago, runninwivscissors said:

A mucker of mine uses the Shogun and to be fair his weed is the bomb, he's a mediocre/lazy grower too, by his own admission. I'm managing to get 1.5ml /litre a+b in to get me to an ec of 1.2 we will see where we go

Me too mate. Lazy as fuck these days, but have been getting really good results. Better than ever actually. 

I just like changing nutes for the sake of it really, and Shogun are well priced. I wont use their whole line. Probably wont bother with their boost or dragon force. 

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Moonstone420 said:

Me too mate. Lazy as fuck these days, but have been getting really good results. Better than ever actually. 

I just like changing nutes for the sake of it really, and Shogun are well priced. I wont use their whole line. Probably wont bother with their boost or dragon force. 

Im not really that all that sold on all these boosters etc, although this is my first time growing personal in Coco, given the small amounts needed I may look at a pk booster. You know the score mate, one of the most difficult things is having good plants to work with.

Edited by runninwivscissors