Setting up wardrobe.

Veg Rardy

Hello all. 

I'm just about set to start my first grow for five years, I've adapted an old pine wardrobe into a 1200mm x 600mm space. I've settled on a 250w led light and G.A.S. Enviro controller v2 balancing a pair of 6" Hyperfan V2s for intake and exhaust and running the tube heaters and dehumidifier. 

I've set up the intake to come through the floor of the growobe and was thinking about using a 6" air diffuser on the end of that. I've also got a 5" rvk I can use with an air diffuser suspended from the drobe ceiling blowing air through the light. I was thinking of aiming the diffusers at each other hoping the two streams colliding at canopy level would cause enough turbulent air to be moved to protect me from budrot. I was wondering if this seems like a workable method? As you can see i'm trying to avoid clip on fans cos I've had nothing but hassle with the poxy things in the past. Has there been any improvements on that front in the last 5 years or so? 

My previous grows were in a 3ft x3ft tent running rvks and variacs. In those I ran 4 plants in 15 litre fabrics pots under a 320w led. I was hoping to get a quick run first time with up to 8 plants (cos that's how many seeds I got lol) so I'm looking at whether that is do able and if so what size pots and how long to veg. Failing that, would running 5 in 10 litre final pots be better? 

Thanks for reading and looking forward to advice. large.Screenshot_20240416_152827_Photos.jpg.f50cf51d787c6813e4c940e5e824a1a3.jpglarge.Screenshot_20240416_153019_Photos.jpg.1be728b916ab30b9ea695725c768079d.jpglarge.Screenshot_20240416_153100_Photos.jpg.47a6d0cccdea2a59c058660cac428189.jpglarge.Screenshot_20240416_152853_Photos.jpg.a377d1501e21200137cc20d1a19af048.jpglarge.Screenshot_20240416_152917_Photos.jpg.06a465fdac109f8661759a07b9f51a88.jpg

• Like 1

Did you consider drawing in warm air from the top and exhausting from the bottom?

A lot of us running LEDs flip our extraction to maximise heat retention and (hopefully) save a little bit of electricity.

As for advancements in clip ons im sure some lads ere have the gen2 aci cloudrays .. the gen1 aint bad for an e.c oscillating clip fan but they are a bit hit or miss, mines fine but its my second one so make of that what you will, still waiting for my gen2 so can't comment properly yet.

:yinyang:

• Like 1

I'd not thought about extracting from the bottom, i definitely consider it in future. As it happens I've got the lights power thing inside the space, so I was hoping to nick some heat from that. 

Thanks for the heads up on the lip fans, it's given me a place to look for alternatives. 

Ta. 

• Like 1

Mine's similar but smaller, I needed stealth and quiet so intakes are passive. Not sure if 2 fans the same size will create negative pressure, was always told the intake should be smaller but I don’t know what controlled you’re using. Don’t bother with Rvk’s with diffusers, that tech has come a long way with gen2 cloudray (as already mentioned). There’s also some decent usb (5v) circulation fans, if you really hate clip ons. As for how many plants or what size pots, that depends on what medium you’re using and what yield you’re expecting. Mitigating mould, it would be advisable to not cram 8 in there, better 4, or final level, 1 in a scrog, auto watering. Good luck and welcome back to growing. 🪴

• Like 1

Forgot to add that pulling air from the bottom might cook your plants in a heatwave so prolly best to pull from the top, and reverse in the winter. Last May we were touching 30°C for a few weeks. 😆

• Like 1

All that heatwave did for my environment was lessen the heavy lifting the tube heaters were doing during lights off ( during the day) , if you've got the flexibility to have a fiddle see what works for you, everyone's space behaves differently.

• Like 1
  • WOW 1

11 hours ago, Slippy One said:

Mine's similar but smaller, I needed stealth and quiet so intakes are passive. Not sure if 2 fans the same size will create negative pressure, was always told the intake should be smaller but I don’t know what controlled you’re using. Don’t bother with Rvk’s with diffusers, that tech has come a long way with gen2 cloudray (as already mentioned). There’s also some decent usb (5v) circulation fans, if you really hate clip ons. As for how many plants or what size pots, that depends on what medium you’re using and what yield you’re expecting. Mitigating mould, it would be advisable to not cram 8 in there, better 4, or final level, 1 in a scrog, auto watering. Good luck and welcome back to growing. 🪴

I'm going to use an G. A. S Enviro controller, I'm pretty certain it will balance two fans of the same size, or at least I hope it does. I plan on getting it all fired up today. 

I'm going to grow in soil using biobizz nutrients, I think I'm going to just grow 4 plants in 10 litre pots on the first run hoping to get a fairly quick run as I'm getting low on flower. 

Thanks

• Like 1

Not sure pot size determines flowering times, but I agree you’ll want smaller pots in that space. 🥳

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

Not sure pot size determines flowering times, but I agree you’ll want smaller pots in that space. 🥳

@Veg Rardy

I think if you have large pots you have to wait for the roots to fill out the pot before you switch to flower. Flowering times remain the same but you just have to wait longer in veg. Also, I don't  really think it's a good idea to have electric sockets in a grow room due to the 70% RH you should achieve.

USB oscillating fans are great. You don't need to attach them to a tent pole either. Just make a plinth for them to sit on. I got one from the big river site, also get a USB/C extension lead and plug it in to another extension plug lead with a USB port for use.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Larry Badgeley said:

if you have large pots you have to wait for the roots to fill out the pot before you switch to flower

@Slippy One this is what i was alluding to, obviously smaller pots don't decrease flowering time lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BilgePump said:

You'd get a quicker turnaround in 6 litre pots :yep:

That's what I was thinking. When I grew in a 1mx1m tent I used 4 15 litre final pots, so that's 60litre of soil, I figured seeing as my drobe is slightly smaller I could use a total of say 50 litres and it wouldn't be too overcrowded. 

4x 10 litres is too much soil in that space ime 4x 6 would be much better.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, inceywinceyspider said:

4x 10 litres is too much soil in that space ime 4x 6 would be much better.

Thanks. How long do you think I need to veg 6 litre pots? 

Edited by Veg Rardy
Add litre

I'd normally pot up from 1 litre to 3 litre to 6 litre, assuming the humidity and temperature are really high theyd take about 7 weeks.