Sick seedlings - first time under LEDs

dingo bingo

@The Villan

Hi Vill. As promised. The Hygrometer and the Humidifier in action. On the Govee app you can check the RH and temp and then turn on/off the Humidifier as required. 

large.IMG_1281-Copy.jpg.2f6d533608ca798aabf031f062d2131d.jpglarge.IMG_1280.jpg.cd7bf821490d0dc3dcdd4a40e88a2d3b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Larry will be going on their site as soon as I am home.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.

I guess I've over compensated from having too little light from fluorescents in the past and ending up with lanky stretch seedlings. I've turned the the thermostat up to 26c and the light right down to minimum - when do people start increasing the light? I'd like to be proactive instead of reacting to the seedlings starting to stretch if possible.

I've also dug out an IR thermometer to measure leaf temp's - they're now sitting at about 25c which is the same as the air inside the prop. box and humidity is now just over 70%.

15 hours ago, ratdog said:

i usually take seedlings out of the prop as soon as they break surface, yours look to have been in there for a while, and they would have had near 100% humidity, maybe you have shocked them removing the cosy environment, i don't think it's the light imo

I did transition them by opening the vents on the prop. but perhaps that difference is minimal.....

15 hours ago, Slippy One said:

Ya cooked them! You'd be surprised how little they need as seedlings, hopefully they'll bounce back. 

The Uni-T light meter is handy, cheap too, just £30. 

large.IMG_2596.jpeg.9685f8416b8a68d9262473b82b33ed6d.jpeg

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try and get one when I can afford to.  Can you recommend a source of info. for how much light/lumens the plants need at their various stages?

I'm now also thinking that starting seeds in the Root Trainer was a bad idea?

Not being able to take out individual seedlings meant the earliest to emerge had to stay in the propagator waiting for the later seeds to emerge. Perhaps next time it'll be better to use Eazy Plugs / Root Riot cubes instead and leave the Root Trainer for rooting cuttings?

• Like 1

I also now feel better about a recent setback - because I had a few Maltezerz seeds from a year ago I bought some more to make up enough numbers to fill the tent come flower time and germ'd them as above....... Then when reading aimlessly on the forum out of curiosity I noticed a few people mention the likelihood of Maltezerz to hermie - which I also experienced before but put down to failure on my part allowing the plants to get too cold.

So I bought some Lemon Drizzle seeds from RGS to avoid the potential of a ruined hermie crop again and the Maltezerz have at least taught me how not to germinate seeds! 🙈

I don't use a propagator for seedlings at all, they're only good for cuttings IMO.

As long as you don't let the media dry out seedlings are fine out in the open, putting them in a prop just risks them damping off etc.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, dingo bingo said:

Can you recommend a source of info. for how much light/lumens the plants need at their various stages?

Google "What is a good PAR for cannabis".

Here's a link to a vid where the cheap light meters are converted to PAR using the expensive light meter as reference. In the case of the Unti-T (I bought mine off eBay China), it was multiply the reading buy .017 to get the most accurate PAR. Don't forget top note the little x10 or x100 in the corner of the screen. :yep:

Edited by Slippy One
  • Like 2

@dingo bingo

Download the Photone app if you're strapped for cash. It's free and will give you a reading of your lights. It's pretty straightforward. Use your front camera on your phone with a diffuser. It tells you how to do it.