Sick seedlings - first time under LEDs

dingo bingo

Hi everyone,

I've got some very sick looking seedlings which I popped in light mix last Monday but I'm not sure what the problem is - never had any look like this before....

The lid came off the propagator a few days ago and temp's now are stable between 22 - 25c and humidity varies between 50 and 60% (which I know is low so I've added a humidifier to the room this morning) - temp and humidity are measure via an Air Comfort logger. There's a PC fan for air circulation, a 5" RVK extraction fan turned right down to 20% via a variac controller and I have a thermostat controlling two tube heaters which sit below the tray just above the passive intakes. It's the first time I've used an LED (Omega Spectra 100W sat 25cm above plants) for germinating seedlings so my suspicions lean toward that being related to the problem somehow as I've never had this problem before.

The leaf edges are crispy dry which could be due to the low humidity though I've had lower humidity before and not had this problem.....

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

large.1.JPG.946494c8f7516a7d17b08fb4cc31c673.JPGlarge.2.JPG.fb9ada1226ea39bc872547d684f34b5e.JPGlarge.3.JPG.1d213820f0fb63901fff4910d5a1ec9a.JPG

Is the light on full? Can you turn it down? And/or raise the height?

• Like 3

what % have you got the light set to? 

soil looks abit dry but hard to tell from pics

• Like 1

Lights do look very close,plants  not streaching much, I usualy find 2 or 3 foot at 40 then 80 W is enough without burning them.

• Like 1

@dingo bingo

Temps are too low for starters. I bet leaf temp is lower than where your temp gauge is.

The LED is definitely the issue. Seedlings don't do very well with a full spectrum LED especially if it's too close and too bright and the leaves are showing this. I had problems like this before, so I bought a ROOT IT LED veg light. It's 6500k white/Blue. 28w ( which is not suitable for the amount of seedlings you have, though you could buy a bigger one)). I have 4 seedlings and they look fantastic. No stretch to speak off. My temps are 30c and humidity at 70%. I use a Bluetooth Govee humidifier and a Govee Hygrometer, also Bluetooth, which I can control the humidifier to keep the RH at 70% and keep an eye on the temps.

• Like 2

Thanks for the swift replies!

The light has been on 100% until now, just lowered it to 50% - is that about right?

I'll increase the thermostat too to raise the temp's.

13 minutes ago, Larry Badgeley said:

@dingo bingo

Temps are too low for starters. I bet leaf temp is lower than where your temp gauge is.

The LED is definitely the issue. Seedlings don't do very well with a full spectrum LED especially if it's too close and too bright and the leaves are showing this. I had problems like this before, so I bought a ROOT IT LED veg light. It's 6500k white/Blue. 28w ( which is not suitable for the amount of seedlings you have, though you could buy a bigger one)). I have 4 seedlings and they look fantastic. No stretch to speak off. My temps are 30c and humidity at 70%. I use a Bluetooth Govee humidifier and a Govee Hygrometer, also Bluetooth, which I can control the humidifier to keep the RH at 70% and keep an eye on the temps.

Thanks man. I would've thought 30c is too hot for seedlings?

@dingo bingo.  30 degrees. Not for LED's.

There is your problem. Light far too bright. 100% on and too close. Probably best to remove those damaged ones. 

• Like 2

@dingo bingo

What would be better, take the tube heater(s) from underneath the wooden plinth and put them on the top of it. Get a heat mat and sit the seedlings on it. You can still use the black tray. Have a fan blowing down from the top of your space to get that heat towards your plants. Heat rises so it's a tip many use. Get your RH up. The plants look very crispy and dry

• Like 1

yep mate as the other members caught on , to early for the big LED ,m8 full power !! should be up 600mm i allways start with a T5

the first  couple off weeks also compost to dry , try to get a wet towel in there to get the hum/ up  45' sorry mate

3 hours ago, Larry Badgeley said:

@dingo bingo

Which humidifier is it @Larry Badgeley I use their temp and humidity sensor and I like it. Do you have picture of it in situ please ?

i usually take seedlings out of the prop as soon as they break surface, yours look to have been in there for a while, and they would have had near 100% humidity, maybe you have shocked them removing the cosy environment, i don't think it's the light imo

• Like 1

Ya cooked them! You'd be surprised how little they need as seedlings, hopefully they'll bounce back. 

The Uni-T light meter is handy, cheap too, just £30. 

large.IMG_2596.jpeg.9685f8416b8a68d9262473b82b33ed6d.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Larry Badgeley said:

Probably best to remove those damaged ones.

They'll grow out of it in a week.

@The Villan

3ltr Govee from the big river site. Fantastic it is. The app on the phone tells you the temp and RH. You can then turn the humidifier on and off via Bluetooth. I'll post a picture in action later. I'll be spending the best part of the day working out how to use the AC Infinity Pro controller