Electricity usage

EL Miko

Hello there ,

i hope this is suitable for this forum . I’m hoping these questions will reach people who know about excessive electric usage in the UK. 
Also ,does anyone know how many grow lights or watts is pushing it? 
Do energy provider report you ,if you are using a lot of electricity…?

any information here would be greatly appreciated. I have a 10x5ft and a 8x4ft grow tent . And I’m worried to get them both stoked up at the same time. . As it would mean I would be paying roughly then 100 a week in electricity . so ,yeah . A little bit of input would be great . 

sound . 👊🏻

3 hours ago, EL Miko said:

paying

As long as yer paying yer bills i doubt anyone will bat an eyelid, yer just a very good customer from the view of your supplier.

:yinyang:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EL Miko said:

Do energy provider report you ,if you are using a lot of electricity…?

no, just pay your bill and you'll be sweet

• Like 1

If you think about it a beefy gaming PC could pull up to a kilowatt of power and a hot tub can pull an average of 0.5kW so a house with a couple of luxury items like a hot tub and a gaming PC or two can pull quite a lot - at peak times.

I grow in the Autumn through Winter as it is easier to keep good temps at the best cost, counter-intuitive as it seems.  I figure my grow setup uses 250W - 500W for 18.5 hours a day in veg and then 12 hours in flower.  As that usage is at night, it could easily be assumed a small heater or something is in use too.

I think there are too many variables for them to care at all for a small grow.  Maybe if you are pulling 3kW+ for 18/6 or 12/12 on predictable schedules, they'd start to want to stick their beaks in.  People who sell energy want you to use it though, it has made them filthy rich and the government want a balance of catching people and growing their own energy investments so...

In future - if we don't manage to get rid of the Tories and New Labour and let's face it, this country does nothing generally - the government will probably insist energy companies put AI to work scrutinising usage patterns to compare to houses with a grow situation, but for now, you are safe.

• Like 1

I don't think the powers that be are even aware of just how many of us 'hobbyists' there are.

They're only interested in the large commercial set-ups and certainly don't waste their efforts

chasing around after us unless it's handed to them on a plate.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, stu914 said:

I don't think the powers that be are even aware of just how many of us 'hobbyists' there are.

They're only interested in the large commercial set-ups and certainly don't waste their efforts

I agree, you are quite right.  I know in my life, experience has shown that allowing mild paranoia has kept me safe, while accepting the reassurances of others has got me in trouble - twice with the police.

'Do your best to be subtle but don't worry' in balance.

Edited by MidgeSmith
  • Like 1

I'd just pick one tent and start there for a few months just so it doesn't look ridiculous going from basically nothing to the cost of 2 massive tents. 

My other concern would be are they running off the same electrical ring? It might be worth tallying up the amps, housing circuits can only do so much. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MidgeSmith said:

mild paranoia has kept me safe,

Yup, it's a pretty much permanent state for me, especially, like yourself, as I've twice been on their merry-go-round, thanks, but no thanks..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stu914 said:

Can they see idle power from ballast? I got smart meter and ive been wondering?

• Like 1

As long as the bill is paid they don't care - I once thought they were onto me as they rang and asked why I was using so much power compared to the rest of the area, I told them I was mining cryptocurrency and they put me on a better tariff lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MidgeSmith said:

agree, you are quite right.  I know in my life, experience has shown that allowing mild paranoia has kept me safe, while accepting the reassurances of others has got me in trouble - twice with the police.

Abso-Fucking-Lutely by the way! Over the years I’ve learned to listen to I as opposed to the other two crazy fuckers ( Me and Myself that is) that try and run this crazy merry go round that’s been my life these past 666 years! Typo there but I’ll leave it coz sometimes it feels like six hundred and sixty six! Aye and often times have thought it paranoia due to ganja consumption, but have over time come to realise it is no such thing, rather it is ganja opening my mind in other directions and generally has been sound thinking to follow. Oh yes indeed!

As others have said, power companies would like their customers to use shit loads of energy and pay through the fucking nose for it so they can dip their snouts even deeper into the trough of capitalist feasting that seems to be their only turn on in life. As long as you’re paying for it, can’t imagine they give a fuck. Had similar thoughts last Autumn when contemplating setting up inside again, and resolved to just carry on. I’m sure OVO energy are delighted to be getting roughly £110 a month extra off this ageing Jockistani. Just crack on mukka and above all, Stay Safe.

Keep it green Om Shanti. 

Edited by NotGoingGoa
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, NotGoingGoa said:

...rather it is ganja opening my mind... so they can dip their snouts even deeper into the trough of capitalist feasting... can’t imagine they give a fuck.... this ageing Jockistani... crack on mukka and above all, Stay Safe... Om Shanti. 

Amen brother!

Are you an Alamaba3 fan perchance?

• Haha 1

To a degree yes, love some of their stuff, and the fact that there are fucking millions of them, not 3, and that they come from no-fucking-where close to Alabama! Their lyrics were nowhere in my conscious mind however, at the time of writing the quoted, but how very astute of you to notice the similarity in my way of thinking to theirs! Oh aye and my name is my name, surprisingly enough not at all inspired by that ensemble's most excellent of tunes, "Aint Going To Goa", rather by the bus ticket touts in what was then Bombay,nowadays Mumbai, trying to garner custom for the arduous journey south to said state of Goa, (Daman and Diu).

Let's have said tune:

Edited by NotGoingGoa
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, NotGoingGoa said:

To a degree yes, love some of their stuff, and the fact that there are fucking millions of them, not 3, and that they come from no-fucking-where close to Alabama! Their lyrics were nowhere in my conscious mind however, at the time of writing the quoted, but how very astute of you to notice the similarity in y way of thinking to theirs!

Well we 3 have that in common :)

It was your name that has had me wondering for a few weeks because they're NotGoingGoa either:

Edited by MidgeSmith