Timers

Dav105e

@Dav105e Ah so it's like my XS1500 Pro then, not a problem really as it can be fixed with a Tapo Smart Plug for about £8.99

So this also suggest that your timer plug is the problem, and not cutting the power off for some reason, is your timer plug meant to just turn the power on and off or does it control voltage?

Either way I'd get rid of the timer plug and get something more modern.

1 hour ago, Military Grade said:

@Dav105e Ah so it's like my XS1500 Pro then, not a problem really as it can be fixed with a Tapo Smart Plug for about £8.99

So this also suggest that your timer plug is the problem, and not cutting the power off for some reason, is your timer plug meant to just turn the power on and off or does it control voltage?

Either way I'd get rid of the timer plug and get something more modern.

Glad it’s not the lights then. I’ll order some different ones. Thanks for the help mate, much appreciated 

• Like 1

I'm still using my Lumii timers that I bought 10 years ago for my HPS lamps. 

That's all the useless info I have for the weekend 🤐

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Dav105e said:

Glad it’s not the lights then. I’ll order some different ones. Thanks for the help mate, much appreciated 

it could be that you are pushing too many watts through a single timer. 

even though I only use 300w LED I run my grassline segmental timer via a HORTICULTURAL CONTACTOR designed for running 2000w of HID lighting. 

how many watts are pushing through a single timer?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JonDaMon said:

even though I only use 300w LED I run my grassline segmental timer via a HORTICULTURAL CONTACTOR designed for running 2000w of HID lighting. 

Even with just one 100 watt light the timer does it 

16 minutes ago, Dav105e said:

Even with just one 100 watt light the timer does it 

how many watts are you pushing through one timer?

too many on one timer can cause an overload for the timers internals. 

6 hours ago, JonDaMon said:

Aye, I had mechanical timers keep failing (when I was using a 300W CFL), got a contactor and didn't had the problem after that (and that was running two of the lights).

e2a someone told me it's to do with the initial power surge when the light first goes on (I know fuck all about electronics :unsure: ).

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 2

The contactor takes the inductive load rather than the timer but I thought that was just a h.i.d problem. The old style coil ballasts had much higher loads on start up than digi ones but if your cfls were ruining timers it might be something to do with that. 

• Like 3

I run a 1700w heater off one smart plug no problems. A 100w LED would be a walk in the park 🚶‍♂️ lol

Edited by Military Grade

I'm just coming to the end of a crop that I did without a timer. I wake up at 6.30 ever morning and switch the light off at 7. Then I come home from work and switch it on at 7pm. I don't reccomend this method at all. One morning I switched the extractor fan off instead of the light. So my plants got 24 hours of light and the house stank ✌️

Edited by i11
  • Haha 6

29 minutes ago, i11 said:

I'm just coming to the end of a crop that I did without a timer. I wake up at 6.30 ever morning and switch the light off at 7. Then I come home from work and switch it on at 7pm. I don't reccomend this method at all. One morning I switched the extractor fan off instead of the light. So my plants got 24 hours of light and the house stank ✌️

When I started growing (after trying to grow on a windowsill lol ), I had a shower in my room, hung an HPS in that, no extraction and I used to have to move everything every time I wanted a shower, and used to move the plants into my wardrobe every night for the dark period (never occurred to me to turn the wardrobe into a grow drobe :doh: ) :rofl:

For a reasonably clever person I have absolutely no common sense lol 

Then I found UK420 and learned how to do things properly :)

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Boojum said:

For a reasonably clever person I have absolutely no common sense lol 

I'm both highly intelligent and highly stupid. In equal measures........✌️

2 hours ago, Military Grade said:

I run a 1700w heater off one smart plug no problems. A 100w LED would be a walk in the park 🚶‍♂️ lol

I agree but the OP was talking about lights rather than a light. 

he mentioned a single 100w and the timer still does it (which it will if it’s already been burned out) but if he had let’s say 5x300w panels running off 1 timer with a 6 way extension block this could cause the inductive load to peak and cause the internals to blow. 

26 minutes ago, JonDaMon said:

I agree but the OP was talking about lights rather than a light. 

I have already discussed that with the OP in this thread lol, that's why I had gone a little off topic👍

The OPs 400w off a smart plug/multi plugs work fine, should upgrade really.

I also have them at the wall as kill switches one each for both grow setups.

Forgot to add: That 1700w heater is shearing a wind up extension lead with a Dehumidifier, both also on smart plugs and one at the wall.

Edit: Just looked on the bottom of the heater, it's actually 2000w I don't know where I got 1700w from lol

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After trying different timers etc it turns out it’s the lights. It’s not a problem for autos but I wanted to try photos. So I’ve bought myself a omega Luna 630w and also a Wilma 4 pot system